The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Welcome to the new members

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2006, 05:15 PM

new guy here, just signed up, threw a bunch of pic into the gallery,site looks good!i would have never thought id be into oldsmobiles till i picked up the 64 i have now.The 64 and 65 are rare, i hardly ever see any unless its at a olds get together.i am sure in the next few yrs they are going to be on the move as far as price goes!

Gene, im digging the collection!!

Dave
age 31 located in maryland
Old September 25th, 2006, 04:38 PM

thank you for having me

Hi all I recently recieved a "65" olds ninty eight convertable from my dad. It has been in my family for a long time, in fact it is the car in which I was tought how to drive (1976) what I was wondering is if anyone could tell me how many of these cars were made and any thing thing else you might know. I'm not looking to sell this car just curious, any answers would be apperciated this car started me as an olds fan.
Old September 26th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Past Administrator

Dave, very nice looking car. I owned one once upon a time and let it go, you know the rest of the story. Still wish I hadn't

Wrenchturner, 4,004 is the production number, standard equipment: hydra-matic, power steering and brakes and windows and seats,windshield washer, special wheel discs (covers), clock, courtesy map lamp, padded dash, upholstery in cloth, vinyl or leather. All were built in Lansing MI. 394 ci engine standard at 345 hp with 10.25:1 compression ratio. Options; deluxe push button radio, super-deluxe signal seeking radio, power antenna, rear speaker, cruise control, tilt steering, trunk release, rear window defroster, tinted glass, 3 speed or 4 speed manual (not sure for 98's though), and positive traction rear end.
All that is from a reference book I have.
Old September 26th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Just recently joined!!

Hey guys I'm from South Dakota and just joined this forum..

I bought a '87 Cutlass Supreme Brougham for 850 and purchased a crate motor, 600cfm carb, exhaust mani, intake mani, h-pipe exhaust, 3000 HS TC, radical comp cams, and some other little stuff is all getting done right now

still thinking about what size rims and rear end I wanna do .. but it should be one sweet ride!!

-trevor
Old September 26th, 2006, 09:54 PM

thank you for your reply

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Dave, very nice looking car. I owned one once upon a time and let it go, you know the rest of the story. Still wish I hadn't

Wrenchturner, 4,004 is the production number, standard equipment: hydra-matic, power steering and brakes and windows and seats,windshield washer, special wheel discs (covers), clock, courtesy map lamp, padded dash, upholstery in cloth, vinyl or leather. All were built in Lansing MI. 394 ci engine standard at 345 hp with 10.25:1 compression ratio. Options; deluxe push button radio, super-deluxe signal seeking radio, power antenna, rear speaker, cruise control, tilt steering, trunk release, rear window defroster, tinted glass, 3 speed or 4 speed manual (not sure for 98's though), and positive traction rear end.
My car has a 425 and a TH400 transmission Had the wheel covers (now missing) has the seeking radio, power anntenna, clock,tilt and trunk release any one else out there have a car like this,
Old September 27th, 2006, 08:31 AM

Smile ololdsmibile cutlass f 86

Hi everybody I live in Italy and I found a oldsmobile cutlass f 86 of the '64 for a good price I tried to find information on this car without success.
There are anybody can tell me something about this car?
thank
Old September 28th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Past Administrator

Hi, welcome to our site. You probably mean the f85. I can't think of an f86 model designation, there was also an 88 series model built that year, they were called the Delta and Delmont (I think both). If you do have an f85 and it was built in 1964 then you have a nice example of Oldsmobile's move to smaller, more nimble cars. Check the engine, you will probably find the block is aluminum, if I am correct in remembering, that engine was actually a Buick engine and later (in the 1970's and 1980's) that same engine could still be found in a car built in England. Someone help me out here and correct me if I am wrong.
Old September 28th, 2006, 03:20 PM

Thanks Oldsguy to reply so fast
probly is the style of the letter but its look like a six just to be shure i post a photo[IMG][/IMG]
Old September 29th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Past Administrator

Yeah, it's an f85, very nice cars...
Old September 29th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Senior Moment

That aluminum block engine lived on as a Rover engine in England.
Old September 29th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Past Administrator

Ah, that's it, just couldn't remember, thanks Joker.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 10:44 AM

The '64 Cutlass/F-85 would have had a 225ci v-6 or the 330 ci v-8. '63 was the last year of the 215 alumium v-8. I have not seen a straight 6 in a '64/65, but who knows...
Gene

Oldsguy --- why is there not a spell check here?
Old October 2nd, 2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy

Thanks!,
i sold a very nice 67 mustang and then happened across this car, thought it was in fairly decent shape and picked it up.. little did i know id find SOO many rigs, as you can see im in the process of putting floor pans in it in the pics. thats its current stage , i finished welding the other day now i need to grind down welds and primer it all, and pick up carpet, also we powdercoated my M/T vavle covers the other day and they are SWEEET!, i dont have any pics just yet but man they look good, we did them in the same 3 coats as the pulleys and brackets..

i have a few other projects here and one on the way in the next week i put money on the other day. But they arent oldsmobile, so not sure you guys want to know .lol
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:41 AM
Past Administrator

[QUOTE= Oldsguy --- why is there not a spell check here?[/QUOTE]

I don't know. Probably a function of the server or something. I am just a flunky that they allowed to delete spam and stuff. Admin might have an answer to that.

Dave, you will not regret poweder coating those valve covers. My son had the ones on his '64 98 394 engine done and they are the cat's meow..
Old October 5th, 2006, 07:31 PM

yeah the valve covers look amazing! i spent a LONG time blasting them, as those M/T covers have a heck of alot of knooks and crannies that the old paint just didnt want to come off, We just started with the powder coating about the same time i bought the car, so my car will pretty much be the demo. then once my car is finished we will move his to that bay and we are palnning on building a 7ft oven where his car was so we can coat much larger things, we have MOST of the material at the moment to build the shell not sure how we will heat it yet, couple ideas in the air at this point.. trial and error. i really cant wait for this car to get done!,ive got more money and time in this one than probably any other car. for the last few yrs ive been swapping cars like undies,i have one more to sell right now(70 cougar 460 30 over,C-6 rev man trans,9" rear, cage, blah blah. bought it a month ago.lol) and one comming tomorrow(71 duster 440/with nos, 727 with rev man , cage, blah blah, ) once that happens i think im done, i Really want to keep the duster and the cutlass and not sell either. well see i guess
Old October 6th, 2006, 07:26 AM

hi everybody I have a very nice question for you.
The cutlass f85 I fond and I want to buy probly has a problem, the condition of the car are perfect only 21.000 miles but as a problem with the paper.
this car is located in italy were I live and the old owner gave back the plate and the paper so official he demolish the car.
Now in Italy its quite impossible to have new paper for a car that officialy dosent exist anymore.
But I have my florida plate ( I was living in florida for a while) is it possible the get new paper in usa ?
the car is to nice to use it as spare parts
thanks for your help
I want to be an oldsmobile owner[/URL][/IMG]
Old October 6th, 2006, 10:00 AM

I would check with the dept. motor vehicles web site for Florida. If you know anybody or relatives in any other state ck their states web site and see what you need to do.. Some places all you need is a bill of sale and maybe an inspection for saftey and they issue a title and then you can have it mailed to you to do what is needed....
Gene
Old October 10th, 2006, 06:59 PM

New guy here, but no starnger to Olds. I have a 1963 Dynamic 88 Holiday Coupe. I bought it in 1988 with 88,000 miles. It now has 103,000. It has the 394 2bbl. I'm just now starting to drive it more and get it into a little better shape. I'll search around here for what I need to know, and share a little along the way...
Old October 11th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Past Administrator

Very nice car! Welcome to our site and look forward to sharing Olds stuff!
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:32 PM

New guy here.. I currently own a 99 Alero GL coupe but had previously had previously owned a 97 Achieva SC coupe (slightly custom, yes.. I customized an Achieva) but a few months ago that car had gotten rear ended and totaled.

Old car - Before

Old car - After

New Car

I'm a big GM fan of classic and modern vehicles alike and come from a family that currently has one vehicle from a GM division from each member.
Myself - 99 Oldsmobile Alero
Dad - 00 Chevy Impala
Mom - 97 Pontiac Bonneville
Bro - 92 Buick Park Ave
Old October 30th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Past Administrator

Mj, nice looking car you had there, too bad about the accident. Was that a Mustang style hood scoop, fiberglass or metal, whole hood or just scoop? Welcome to our site.
Old October 30th, 2006, 10:41 AM

Thanks, the hood was the stock hood with a fiberglass scoop molded on (non-functional). And fyi, the scoop is a Camaro SS scoop, not a Mustang scoop.
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Originally Posted by mjdecker
Thanks, the hood was the stock hood with a fiberglass scoop molded on (non-functional). And fyi, the scoop is a Camaro SS scoop, not a Mustang scoop.
NICE! I don't usually like that look, but I do on YOUR car.

Just curious...did you Photoshop it on first or just say, "That's a tuff looking scoop. I'll try it."?

C.J.
Old October 30th, 2006, 01:18 PM

Kinda both, but I did a chop of it first before I really considered spending the money on it.
Old October 31st, 2006, 06:39 AM
Past Administrator

<chuckle> just goes to show how little attention I pay to the newer cars, i.e. post 1970's

I think it is a really good look, too bad about the crash.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:16 AM

Hello all, Another new guy. Thanks for the great resources here. I currently own a 1972 Cutlass Supreme (or what's left of her). I will be lurking around here to find a donor body, as mine has been destroyed or will part her out. I will post photos of the remains as time permits.

I've owned 8 A body Oldsmobile's (70-72) throughout the last 20 years and absolutely love them. I'm located it Southwest Louisiana.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 04:46 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site! Is the southeast good or bad for automobiles! I would think you all don't use too much salt on the roads down there!
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:13 AM

We don't have the rust problems here that people encounter with road salt. Although we get our share. The humidity is probably a factor here.
The reason for needing a donor body is this...

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...FH000004-2.jpg

I have some time invested and she has some pretty good options, so I'd like to try and save her.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:51 PM
Past Administrator

That hurts!
Old November 5th, 2006, 06:00 PM

Question Old Olds

What happend to our Older Olds owners ?Havent heard any thing lately .Maby not as many ?or there all just out cruisin ozoneblue 1954 Olds 88 Rocket owner
Old November 6th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Past Administrator

I pulled out the old straight six from my '48 on Saturday. Now to get the car in the garage and do some prep work for dropping the 455 into it this coming spring!
Old November 23rd, 2006, 04:08 AM

Glad to be a new member. I am sure I will be able to help and receive help on many Olds questions.

I am the owner of a 61 Starfire and my dad was an Olds guy - so I grew up loving them - and many other USA's from the 50, 60, 70's
Old November 23rd, 2006, 08:06 AM

Welcome to the site!, good looking car there!
Old November 25th, 2006, 03:36 PM

Hi I'm Just learning to get around in this sight Just New I think I Just wrote the web master an Olds love story hope he dont get mad I just love hearing Oldsmobile Stories and about Oldsmobile Projects Never Drove anyhting but Olds all my life but don't know what to do in the future. what do you guys all drive or plan to drive in the future
Olswesallmylife
Old November 26th, 2006, 03:52 AM

Well new cars are just that new cars. Some may share the 'brand" but they are far from the original blood lines.

We alll need late models to do the every day running - this way the classics remain special. I love the old cars no check engine lights and easy to fix...
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Very Glad to be aboard. This site is going to be very helpful in restoring my 55 Super 88 4dr. Major items needed are left fender and a grill. I'm sure someone can point me in right direction to get these. Thanks, Jerry Hamlin
Old November 27th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site Jerry!
Old November 28th, 2006, 09:15 AM

OLDSGUY

You caught that quick. Those scum bags get into everything........
Thanks for hitting that fast.

Gene
Old November 28th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Past Administrator

thanks, during lunch on weekdays I am almost ALWAYS here off and on. The weekends are another story though, out in the garage.......

FYI for all the others, I deleted some spam almost as soon as it was up...
Old November 29th, 2006, 09:23 AM

These spamers have no brains at all.....................................

Quick Reply: Welcome to the new members