The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Q-JET

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2009, 01:11 PM

Q-JET

Not to long ago I picked up a '78 Omega, with a SB 307. I am pretty new to Olds engines, I have been told by a few people that it is running rich, how do I lean out the fuel mixture? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Newbie in MN
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 78_OMEGA
Not to long ago I picked up a '78 Omega, with a SB 307. I am pretty new to Olds engines, I have been told by a few people that it is running rich, how do I lean out the fuel mixture? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Newbie in MN
First of all, are you sure this is a 307 Olds motor? The 307 Olds didn't exist in 1978. If someone did transplant an 80's vintage 307 with the computer-controlled carb and did not connect the computer, then it's no surprise that the car is running rich. Please verify what you have so we can give you the appropriate answers.
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:53 PM

I know it isn't the original engine, I think it it out of a mid 80's cutlass. The choke is not currently connected, and either is the kick-down cable. All I know about the engine for sure is that the base gasket for the carb, and the headder gaskets matched up with the ones from an '86 cutlass.
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

I know it isn't the original engine, I think it it out of a mid 80's cutlass. The choke is not currently connected, and either is the kick-down cable. All I know about the engine for sure is that the base gasket for the carb, and the headder gaskets matched up with the ones from an '86 cutlass.
Again, you need to provide more information to get a useful answer. If the choke is not connected, is it wired open? If not, that may be a source of your problem. Also, if it still has the computer controlled Qjet and no computer, it WILL run rich. Get the block casting no. from the small shelf where the oil fill tube is located. Get the carb number off the driver's side of the carb. Photos would also help.
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:58 AM

No the choke is not wired open, it does have a Q-jet I never looked close enough to see if there was any electrical that is supposed to be connected to it. I will take a look at it tonight, and get some numbers for you any help I can get is much appreciated. I just need the motor to last through this race season, then it, and the trans are getting replaced with a Chevy SB 350 and a Turbo 350 trans.
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

No the choke is not wired open, it does have a Q-jet I never looked close enough to see if there was any electrical that is supposed to be connected to it. I will take a look at it tonight, and get some numbers for you any help I can get is much appreciated. I just need the motor to last through this race season, then it, and the trans are getting replaced with a Chevy SB 350 and a Turbo 350 trans.

Last edited by citcapp; July 30th, 2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:27 AM

then it, and the trans are getting replaced with a Chevy SB 350 and a Turbo 350 trans.
Why? It would be easier to swap in a SBO. You will have to move your starter cables to the otherside of the engine, mess around with motor mounts, and move your distributor wiring to the front of the engine just to name a few things.

If you race this car and plan on swapping an engine and transmission it is odd that you don't know how to tune a carburetor.
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Captain of my ship

more work???

Why transplant a SBC instead of a SBO 350?? An Olds motor and tranny would be a lot less work , though has seen this before , you just happen to have an extra SBC lying around Maybe you could trade for an SBO 350 which would be a better fit
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Well, lets put it this way. I am framiliar with ths SB Chevy, and know nothing about Olds engines. I have been around the drag track for q few years, but this is the first car that i have ever run down the track. The reason for the swap is that I have the Chevy motor and trans available, and have worked on them before. The physical work, involved in it, I am not concerned with plus, Olds parts are a pain in the *** to get around here. Chevy parts are very accessable. It is as simple as this, I know nothing about Q-Jet carbs. I just need this motor to last me a few months, and I want it to run properly, that is why I asked the question.
Old July 30th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Captain of my ship

If that's what you feel more comfortable then I guess you should run with it , and like you said you have one already. so the Omega is in decent shape or you just like the styling or good for your purpose?
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)

X2
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:36 PM

It is in good shape. One rust spot on the drivers rear quarter,
and a hole in the drivers floor. Not bad for 31yrs old. Plus it
already has a line-lock, anti-hop bars,and drag radials.
I will post some pics soon.
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:10 AM

Make sure the Chevy motor you have has the 16 bolt mains. By the early 70s Chevy was using 100% pure Chinesium in their blocks. They cast them by squeezing the Chinesium out of a tube of toothpaste into the engine mold. Then they would let it "setup" for a day or two while a 10" electric fan blew tepid air over it. They overcame the lack of structual rigidity by puting 16 bolt main caps in their design.
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:37 AM
Past Administrator

...Olds parts are a pain in the *** to get around here. Chevy parts are very accessable.
If you mean used parts then you are correct, but that is everywhere. Simple math, Chevy made maybe a thousand cars to every one Oldsmobile made so there are bound to be more left around now.