The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

From Ontario Canada, with a 1972 Vista Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2011, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassjoe
Alan, you hit it right on the head with the trannie and gears. I installed a 3.08 posi this fall and I'm in the process of getting the 200R4 done over the winter with a mild B&M shift kit. My friend Randy who is setting it says it should be a good runner with decent mileage.
Joe, you will be so happy with that combination. You will find the car faster off the line, the 200-R4 does not use as much power, and your final drive will be down to 2.06 in 4th. When I had the 3.08's on my '72 Vista, it stayed in 4th even up the mild uphill sections of the 401, perhaps the converter unlocking here and there, the torque of the Oldsmobile small block handling things real fine. With the wagon weighing just over 5000 lbs, and having 3.73's (2.49 in 4th) I am getting a real world 19 MPG so you should get quite a bit better then that with the 3.08's and your lighter car.
Old December 31st, 2011, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by oldzy
Thanks. $18/yr is not bad at all. I did find a site though that mentioned only for parades, cars shows, getting repair work done, and 'testing'. Perhaps I will fall into the 'testing' category. After all... I will likely be 'testing' quite a bit after a frame-off resto.

On the other hand, I do like the idea of a plate with '1972' at the top. I have not found a really nice pair to my liking though.
I have never had a problem with the Historic Vehicle plates on my wagon either. In the Golden Horse Shoe there are a plethora of car shows, cruises and events going each and every night starting by mid May through the end of September at least. So there are tons of places to be able to drive the cars. One has to use simple logic: Yes, we will take the car to visit friends or in-laws on a nice evening or weekend, usually ending up at a car related event. But the car will not go near shopping malls, or other high volume risky areas, high volume being taken in light humor around here at the best of times. The authorities seem to realize an old car owner is taking pride in their ride, and driving it prudently, the cars, including mine I have driven/rode in get looked at by the police going by, but with thumbs up in a lot of cases! The ones who truly abuse the privilege of Historic plates will get caught, Karma sees to that. Howie
Old December 31st, 2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
oldzy - here are a few links I found in your area
http://www.yomplates.ca/
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...icle/yom.shtml
http://www.vintagecarconnection.com/yom_plates.htm

Here in AB, I just had to take the 72 plates to the motor vehicle registry. They stamped them legit, and double registered them to my 'antique' plate registration for a one time fee of around 45 bucks IIRC. Took all of 15 minutes.

From what I've seen on the web, Ont MOT is screwing you guys royally...in turnaround time and pricing
Hi Allan: All things being taken into consideration, given the scope of the cars on the road, the masses and related, the charges are not too bad except for the charge for personal plates and regular car insurance. Regular insurance is high here because of the glut of cars and new drivers in the midst, and I am sure you see on the news the infamous accidents and how a bit of bad weather creates havoc around here as well. Collector and historic vehicle insurance is available, and it is much less expensive, but again, comes with restrictions a proper, caring owner can abide by. I call up my provider before a long road trip and ask if this is ok, or that is ok, etc. They say no problem, the car is to be enjoyed, and our travels take us to car shows/cruises in different cities/towns and even Stateside. Now where the MTO can use some improvement is in the 'aggravation book' meaning the one written to guarantee you will have to make at least two trips back to a kiosk because you forgot to cross a 'T' or dot an 'I', lower case! When I registered the '72, even though I felt I had all in order, it was still a heart racer as they were looking over the paperwork. It was alright, but there is much to do. Howie
Old December 31st, 2011, 11:35 AM

So if malls are not included... what about the shows at Maple View Mall in Burlington on Fairview/Brant? I don't go there anymore anyway, neither does my father... apparently someone broke the side mirror on his Chevelle. Just curious. The only time I will likely go around that area anyway will be for the ol Sunoco Ultra 94 gas at that Petro Canada there. I am making notes in my GPS as I spot them for future reference.
Old December 31st, 2011, 03:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Vistabrat72
Regular insurance is high here because of the glut of cars and new drivers in the midst, and I am sure you see on the news the infamous accidents and how a bit of bad weather creates havoc around here as well. Collector and historic vehicle insurance is available, and it is much less expensive, but again, comes with restrictions a proper, caring owner can abide by.
Howie, yes that makes sense. However my 72 is not and will not ever be a daily driver - so collector car insurance and plates are the best value for how I use my car. Only my wife and I are allowed to drive it. Says so right in the insurance - she made them change it to include her. Attsa my girl...

I call up my provider before a long road trip and ask if this is ok, or that is ok, etc. They say no problem, the car is to be enjoyed, and our travels take us to car shows/cruises in different cities/towns and even Stateside.
Same basic rules apply here. If I wanted to take a trip to ..say...Ontario, I would call my Ins and ask if I could use the car to go to one of your big car shows. All insurance companies with half a brain will understand and grant 'exceptions' so long as the exceptions don't become the norm. I will have to talk to them about the move to BC. Not sure if I will drive it or have it shipped. Depends on circumstances.

So if malls are not included... what about the shows at Maple View Mall in Burlington on Fairview/Brant? I don't go there anymore anyway, neither does my father... apparently someone broke the side mirror on his Chevelle. Just curious. The only time I will likely go around that area anyway will be for the ol Sunoco Ultra 94 gas at that Petro Canada there. I am making notes in my GPS as I spot them for future reference.
Malls are basically excluded if you're taking the car there and leaving it unattended while you go in to do shopping. When malls 'host' car shows, they help the organizers by establishing an entrance and a roped off area just for the show cars. It's safe, practical and controlled. Last fall at one of the shows I went to, one of the sponsors gave out coupons for a free burger and shake. You had to leave your car to go get it, but the area was zoned off so no other customers could park beside your valued car. Most events at malls also generate a lot more walk in traffic which is good for business too!
Old December 31st, 2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by bulldog
oldzy,
I have historic plates on my Cutlass, just went to the Ministry and told them I wanted historic plates. $18. later I had them. And their $18 a year.
For YOM plates you phone the MTO. give them the plate number, and they check the number to see that its not in use on a newer plate. I believe they treat these the same as personalized plates,and charge $200 to register them to your car and then you pay the same every year that a sticker would cost.
It is really a rip off now to do YOM plates. I did mine right after they announced you could use them. I had to send them to Toronto for them to verify the plate and that they were not attached to another vehicle then paid the transfer fee. I do however have to pay the $74.00 per year to drive the car 6 months....
Old January 1st, 2012, 10:38 AM

I meant to say to simply go shopping, the car is not used for ventures like this. If we have to stop at a mall to pick something up to bring with us on the way to a cruise/visit, somebody stays with the car. We do go the the Lion's Club show, now moved to the Burlington Mall, and other mall shows. The cordoned off areas are safe - so far - but the gauntlet getting to them in the pathways, one has to be prudent. If you would like to know where a lot of the shows are now, then please PM me, the new schedules should be coming out soon. Regards, Howie
Old January 1st, 2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Howie, yes that makes sense. However my 72 is not and will not ever be a daily driver - so collector car insurance and plates are the best value for how I use my car. Only my wife and I are allowed to drive it. Says so right in the insurance - she made them change it to include her. Attsa my girl...

Same basic rules apply here. If I wanted to take a trip to ..say...Ontario, I would call my Ins and ask if I could use the car to go to one of your big car shows. All insurance companies with half a brain will understand and grant 'exceptions' so long as the exceptions don't become the norm. I will have to talk to them about the move to BC. Not sure if I will drive it or have it shipped. Depends on circumstances.

Malls are basically excluded if you're taking the car there and leaving it unattended while you go in to do shopping. When malls 'host' car shows, they help the organizers by establishing an entrance and a roped off area just for the show cars. It's safe, practical and controlled. Last fall at one of the shows I went to, one of the sponsors gave out coupons for a free burger and shake. You had to leave your car to go get it, but the area was zoned off so no other customers could park beside your valued car. Most events at malls also generate a lot more walk in traffic which is good for business too!
Allan, you called it right, the mall shows can be and often are very nice. In many of them we attend, if you get there early enough, you can park by an island or the ends and get a bit of shade and grass. Even then, with the lots cordoned off and protected, you can duck into the mall to cool off or get anything you need. Not to say purses, wallets, electronics should be left on seats, the malls and other organized events are safe. To date, we have had no problems with anything being taken, etc. It is a crowd, both car owners and folks who come to see the cars that puts all into the same frame of mind, enjoying the day. It is too bad about the mirror on the Chevelle noted.
Old January 1st, 2012, 12:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

If you would like to know where a lot of the shows are now, then please PM me, the new schedules should be coming out soon. Regards, Howie
Happy New Year Howie!
re: the shows. Last year that topic came up from some of the fellows down east. Out west there is a schedule for all the Pacific Northwest for pretty much the whole year. Can you send that schedule of Eastern show events as a web link to 442much (Ken Pilidis) so he can include it as information in the next edition of our Olds club newsletter? Probably at this time, some of your events are set in stone, but others will be added during the year? We have members at NLCO from all over Canada and the US. Right now NLCO website is undergoing a revamp but you could probably drop Ken a line through it. www.oldsclub.ca If you can't get through on that, LMK and I'll PM you his email.