General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New User from Ontario Canada, owner of the "Camino Supreme"

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Gentleman And Scholar

New User from Ontario Canada, owner of the "Camino Supreme"

Hey everyone, been meaning to join for a while, finally got around to it. In another couple of months when the snow melts I'll post some pictures of my car, I took an '85 Chevy El Camino and an '84 Cutlass Supreme, tore them both apart and built a Cutlass pickup I call The "Camino Supreme". (Or sometimes "El Cutlass") Not just the sheetmetal either, I used the interior too. Even has 2 VIN's.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2997898
Here is a link to the page I have for it on cardomain.
I just don't want to post any finished pictures until I can give it a good cleanup.
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:49 AM

Interesting build. which running gear are you going to use the Olds or the chevy
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:10 AM

What I read that whole thing and didn't see the finished product! I want a refund...Just kiddin' cool looking project, just be sure to get those pics posted don't leave us hangin'
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:11 PM

2 VINS
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:26 PM

Creative. Looks very sweet, when do we get to see pics of the finished product?
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:35 PM

I had the same thought about the Vins. It still is a single car, the original body keeps the original vin. The doner body in (in this case the Olds) is just a parts car. At least thats the way it is in Washington state. Or is it like the Johnny Cash song I got it one piece at a time....took the whole staff to type it up and the title weighed 60 pounds..................

Last edited by citcapp; February 11th, 2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome! Cardomain's server is down at the moment, I'll have to wait to see the pics.
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Oldsdruid

"So you got caught with a flat, well, how about that?
Well babies, don't you panic.
By the light of the night when it all seems alright
I'll get you a satanic mechanic."

http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=210

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCPrR...eature=related

Sorry- couldn't resist! Enjoy! See how many now well-known actors you can recognize, back when they were all unknowns. Which is probably why they made this movie!

Cool project. First OldsCamino of that vintage I've seen.

A body shop here transformed one into a GNx complete with intercooler turbo for their parts chaser.
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Registered Luser

You should listen to your wife more! Post some more picks, don't wait 'till spring...who do you think you are, Santa Clause!
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Gentleman And Scholar

rocketraider - Good one!! I've had this user name for several years and nobody's ever commented on it, let alone know where I took it from! I had a girlfriend years ago who was into Rocky Horror, and we went to see it at a crappy old theatre every other weekend. Being a mechanic, that line always cracked me up. Great stuff, I'm impressed buddy!
jamesbo + citcapp - Yes, 2 VIN's but just for fun really. The original VIN is untouched, still factory rivited. This is what the plates are registered to, a 1985 El Camino as this is the shell and frame I used. Before I scrapped the Cutlass, I cut the VIN off, then wedged it between the dash and windshield right above the original. (I could pry it out with a knife if anyone gave me a hard time) I also kept the title for the Cutlass in my name, and I went to the ministry to cahange the colour to orange like the Chevy's says. I just want to be a smart *** and hand them both to a cop if I get pulled over. (I'm not trying to pull a shady or anything, just having fun!)
citcapp - For now I'm leaving the Chev 305 that's in it. It runs fine and the car (truck?) is old enough that it's clear of Ontario's emission testing scam I mean program. Also I spent all my $$$ on the paint and body...
To everyone else - Thanks for the welcome and comments! I'm sorry I haven't posted pictures, but I just got it back from the bodyshop a week and a half ago, then drove it an hour home in a slight snowstorm. I want to wait until April when I start to drive it, so I can give it a good once over, then get a nice sunny day to take it to my favourite spot for a proper photo shoot. Right now we still have snow on the ground and salt on the roads, and everyday is gloomy and grey. Sorry again, please be patient! Trust me it's killing me, it's taken over a year and more than 300 hours to build it but as soon as I can let all you good folks see it done I will. Thanks again!
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Gentleman And Scholar

rocketraider - just checked out that link, sure brings back memories. Are you a fan yourself?
I guess I have to post a little more before I can edit my profile or choose an avitar, so this is start.
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:31 AM

I know a guy who once ran a wrecking yard that got bored one day and put together one car from several large GM cars of the 50's. This was in about 1974.

He was about to scrap them out but wondered if they would all fit together. He used a 1958 88 as the basis, but put on fenders and doors from other cars with the help of an interchange manual.

After checking the state laws he found that glass was not needed, so he left all that out including the windshield. He did neen wipers, so he left those in even though they had nothing to wipe.

All his gas tanks were runted out, so he used a one gallon gas can and just made a lot of stops for gas.

There was no interior, just a plastic stackable seat from his waiting room. The floor was too rusted out to hold more than one chair.

After building it he took chrome letters from other cars and screwed them to the sides. He called the car 'LURCH" after the tall guy on the Addams Family TV show.

Then he got really bored and started to write political analysis books and features. Weird as this sounds he is now an author that is respected world-wide for his views on systems of government and styles of leadership. He is also a consultant to world leaders on a confidential basis concerning ways to really deal with problems and not just 'spin' the problems away.

I am just bringing this up to show you where this type of behavior can lead.

By the way, this guy is an Oldsmobile nut and owns several 98's from the late 1960's, so it could be that inside all of us is a genius wanting to get out.
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I remember a car I saw in probably the late 50's. It was a 1950 Pontiac with Cadillac rear quarters on it and it had a 56 Olds engine. It was black and very will done. I was only about 13-14 but still remember it.
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Oldsdruid

Well- the whole movie cracked me up, from the first time I saw it as a drunken college kid in 1976. By 1978 I was doing audience participation, generally as a Transylvanian since I had a "tuxedo" T-shirt and black pants that wouldn't raise any eyebrows at home... as opposed to say, a Frank'N'Furter costume.

One of my best college buds was almost a dead ringer for Riff Raff, even more so now that he's bald on top, though David cut his shoulder length hair years ago. (Becoming a K-Mart store manager will do that!) He had a 1970 Torino GT convertible that he's passed down to his son. Let's just say that Ryan is a little more "conservative" than his dad and I were in college.

Long time since I've seen it in a theater, probably 15 years since not many places near here are doing midnight showings anymore.

But you better damn well believe I can still do the Time Warp! I just can't figure out why the link didn't take- let's try it again.

http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=210
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:26 PM

that's a pretty sweet ride man! deff post pics when it's done!
Old February 13th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Gentleman And Scholar

old98owner - Good story, if I owned my own wrecking yard I'd probably be the same, making all kinds of Frankenstein type stuff! I don't think there's anything wrong with this type of behavior...
rocketraider - the theatre the ex and I used to go to was cool with audience participation, being a rather decrepit building they didn't much care if you chucked rice, toast, toilet paper etc. around. Her favourite character was Columbia and she'd get all dressed up. I never dressed up, just threw stuff and talked back to the movie screen. Good times...
Old February 13th, 2009, 07:29 AM

A number on early Canadian cars look like cross breeds to americans because of the blending of parts, part ford part mercury = Meteor etc. and so on. First time I saw them as a kid in the 50's I though someone did a neat custom job until my dad told me otherwise.