The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie from Germany!

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2009, 04:46 AM

Smile Newbie from Germany!

Hi!

I've been on ultra-high-compression.com & ROP for some time but have just now gotten time to register here.
The name's Ralph, I live southwest of Mainz in the small city of Idar-Oberstein. It's generally known for its jewelry.
I own a '65 Cutlass 442, bought in the states & imported it to Germany myself.
A little bit of history: A '65 442 was my first new car, but I had to give it up after only 8 months 'cause Uncle Sam called. So, last year, after 43 years, I now have another!
The body's virtually stock, but the drivetrain has been reworked using parts available in the 60's. End result: 423HP @ the flywheel!

@ Thorsten: noch 'n 442 in Deutschland! Wo wohnst Du?

Ralph
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:52 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard Ralph

Sounds like you dream came true. I hope you enjoy it here. We certainly do.
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:14 AM

Yup, it did!!!!

I'll post pics as soon as I can.....

R.
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:50 AM

Willkommen! Wenn werden wir Bilder sehen?
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Willkommen! Wenn werden wir Bilder sehen?
Translation "Like a hobo on a bologna sandwich?" [I think]
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:59 AM

@Olds64:

Thanks & another German speaker! Hope Thorsten sees this- maybe we can link up. Very, very few Olds & almost NO 442's in Europe! To the best I've been able to determine, mine is the ONLY '65 442 in all of Europe. Of course, if there's another one, I'd like to find out & link up!

Can I post pics now, if so, how?

Ralph
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Translation "Like a hobo on a bologna sandwich?" [I think]
Something like that!
Actually I was very surprised to have someone in the states asking me in German when I'd post pics!

Ralph
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM

I'm not sure you might have to give it a little more time before a smarter mod than I moves you out of Newbieville.

When you reply be sure to go from quick reply to "Advanced"

Scroll down below the reply box and hit "manage attachments"

A new box will pop up then hit "Browse", next "upload", wait a few seconds. After your pics upload close the box and check by hitting "Preview Post" and

Voila a pic
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
Bear_dance.wmv (723.5 KB, 8 views)
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:20 AM

@ Jamesbo:

OK!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1772a.JPG (66.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1776A.JPG (70.2 KB, 11 views)
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by German442
Hi!

I've been on ultra-high-compression.com & ROP for some time but have just now gotten time to register here.
The name's Ralph, I live southwest of Mainz in the small city of Idar-Oberstein. It's generally known for its jewelry.
I own a '65 Cutlass 442, bought in the states & imported it to Germany myself.
A little bit of history: A '65 442 was my first new car, but I had to give it up after only 8 months 'cause Uncle Sam called. So, last year, after 43 years, I now have another!
The body's virtually stock, but the drivetrain has been reworked using parts available in the 60's. End result: 423HP @ the flywheel!

@ Thorsten: noch 'n 442 in Deutschland! Wo wohnst Du?

Ralph

A 442 in Germany is very cool. I used to work for companies that sent me all over Europe. Now I own a couple of local businesses. I was kicking around the idea with a friend just recently of pulling in one of our German or Danish friends and exploring the idea of buying some American muscle cars while the market is down, and shipping them to Europe, where they're much more rare, to sell. I remember lots of people I talked to over there having a real fascination with muscle cars. But then we started delving in a little bit to the European tax laws......miserable.
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:12 AM

Welcome to the site. Nice clean car. There are a lot of members from outside the States on this site so your among good company. You'll find lots of information and helpful people here as well
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:57 AM

Ralph,
Sounds like your an American living in Germany. Great looking car. I know what it is like as I have the only 65 Cutlass hardtop in Thailand. There is another 65 but it is a 4 door and needs MUCH resto. Have a friend here with a 66 2 door 88 but have not seen a 442 here.........yet.
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by German442
Something like that!
Actually I was very surprised to have someone in the states asking me in German when I'd post pics!

Ralph
I was just kidding Olds 64. He's the Kung Fu Grand Master of Similes.
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rdrokit
Ralph,
Sounds like your an American living in Germany. Great looking car. I know what it is like as I have the only 65 Cutlass hardtop in Thailand. There is another 65 but it is a 4 door and needs MUCH resto. Have a friend here with a 66 2 door 88 but have not seen a 442 here.........yet.
Your case is probably even more surprising! I can believe that your '65 is the only one. There are a few Olds here- I know of a '53 Rocket, a '72 (I think) hardtop, a '64 Cutlass 'vert & a '66 Cutlass 'vert that the owner swears is a 442. I'm not completely convinced it is, so with the help of the decode info on Br[]'s site, I'll probably be able to find out definitely at a meet over the 4th of July weekend. The car is in Luxembourg & the meet is in Sanem, Luxembourg, so I'm anticipating he'll be there. In any case, the car is in absolutely beautiful shape- the closest to 100 points I've seen in the meets I've been to. I'll try to post a couple pics of it after the meet.
And yes, I'm an American living in Germany. I work for a US Army contractor operating comm sites.

Greetz from Germany!

Ralph
Old June 17th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Past Administrator

Ralph, glad to have you with us at CO. Neat car. Is that a turnbuckle I see from the frame to the block?
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:33 AM

I work for a US Army contractor operating comm sites.
I hope you don't work for that dirty Northrop Grumman, evil Raytheon, or sinful Lockheed Martin. I can't stand those guys.

Actually, I work for Stanley Associates in Lawton, OK. It is a smaller Army contractor that is based out of Atlanta, GA.

Das Auto sieht sehr gut aus. Macht es viel Spass wenn Sie 180 kps auf dem Autobahn fahren?
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Ralph, glad to have you with us at CO. Neat car. Is that a turnbuckle I see from the frame to the block?
Yup!!!!

Ralph
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:52 AM

I hope you don't work for that dirty Northrop Grumman, evil Raytheon, or sinful Lockheed Martin. I can't stand those guys.

Actually, I work for Stanley Associates in Lawton, OK. It is a smaller Army contractor that is based out of Atlanta, GA.

Das Auto sieht sehr gut aus. Macht es viel Spass wenn Sie 180 kps auf dem Autobahn fahren?
I actually work for an ITT subcontractor by the name of Summit Technical Solutions. Over the years, the company has changed several times, but the work force just changes employers & keeps on doing the same job.

Also.... 180KPH erscheint mir etwas zu gewagt fuer ein Auto ohne Scheibenbremsen u. Bremskraftverstaerker! Dazu habe ein BMW 330CI.
'Bout the fastest i've gone is about 85 mph. BUT>>>> off the line anything goes!

Ralph
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:08 AM

Ralph, Didn't the Army Corp of Engineers originally do that work and then the govt outsourced it?
Byron
By the way what's it like getting parts shipped over to Germany? It's a bitch here in Thailand. Anything that goes FEDEX of UPS goes through Thai Customs and they take a 35% import tax. I have to get parts shipped to friends in the States then sent by US Mail as the mail over here does not go through customs but on large items even the post office wants a cut.
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:24 AM

Ralph, Didn't the Army Corp of Engineers originally do that work and then the govt outsourced it?
Byron
By the way what's it like getting parts shipped over to Germany? It's a bitch here in Thailand. Anything that goes FEDEX of UPS goes through Thai Customs and they take a 35% import tax. I have to get parts shipped to friends in the States then sent by US Mail as the mail over here does not go through customs but on large items even the post office wants a cut.
No, we do long-haul comms within the multi-service system. Originally, each service (Army, Air "Farce" & Navy) operated stations within their areas of responsibility. Most of the "terrestrial" is now done by contractors, the military does just satellite & not even all of that.

I have a certain advantage as far as parts go, since I'm retired military. I'm authorized use of the military postal system (APO/FPO), except I can't send pkgs over something like 18 oz to the states. At least I can receive anything that doesn't go beyond the USPS parcel limit. That way I save both customs & the 19% Value Added Tax Germany has. I'v even had mounted, deflated tires sent- boxed separately, of course!

Ralph
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:39 AM

Ralph,
Thanks, you have given me an idea I will try. I am commander of the VFW post here and have a APO box at JUSMAG in Bangkok. Will try sending something there. Do you know the weight limit on USPS parcels?
Byron
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:14 AM

180KPH erscheint mir etwas zu gewagt fuer ein Auto ohne Scheibenbremsen u. Bremskraftverstaerker! Dazu habe ein BMW 330CI.
Ich verstehe. Man soll nicht dumme Sachen machen.

Actually, I'm sitting here trying to piece together phrases auf Deutsch. It has been so long since I used my German. I am glad I can still chat with you though. I actually understood what you said earlier even though I had to piece together anti-lock brakes and power brakes.

I studied in Germany in the city of Holzkirchen in the summer of 2001. I also worked for TRW during the summer of 2002 in the city of Alfdorf. Germany is a wonderful country. I hope to get the chance to travel there again with my company. We do teaching for the US Army in Germany from time to time.
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:46 PM

I actually understood what you said earlier even though I had to piece together anti-lock brakes and power brakes.
Actually, I said disc grakes & power brakes. Plus, no power steering! Can was meant for just one thing (you know what!)

Ralph
Old June 18th, 2009, 06:09 AM

Oh well... I was close enough.
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:04 AM

Ralph,
Thanks, you have given me an idea I will try. I am commander of the VFW post here and have a APO box at JUSMAG in Bangkok. Will try sending something there. Do you know the weight limit on USPS parcels?
Byron
Just checked w/ the local APO. Max weight: 70lbs, size: 130" length + girth.

Hope than helps!

Ralph
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:09 AM

Unhappy

Ralph: Be careful with that "Air Farce" statement, you might insult some of us that put our time in that institution. Was in Karamursel, Turkey, 1962-1964 with Tuslog Det 63, major comm relay between the Far East and the Real World. Spent 3 years 7 months and 22 glorious days with the USAF. To say I was disappointed when, after 2 years of their saying "you have to wait until you finish this before we can send you to Officer's Candidate School", the saying, "Nope, can't go", I was a bit disillusioned.

Last edited by Aron Nance; June 18th, 2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Ralph: Be careful with that "Air Farce" statement, you might insult some of us that put our time in that institution. Was in Karamursel, Turkey, 1962-1964 with Tuslog Det 63, major comm relay between the Far East and the Real World. Spent 3 years 7 months and 22 glorious days with the USAF. To say I was disappointed when, after 2 years of their saying "you have to wait until you finish this before we can send you to Officer's Candidate School", the saying, "Nope, can't go", I was a bit disillusioned.
You did understand I meant it as a joke? I got the term from an ex-Air Force NCO turned Army Warrant Officer while I was in 'Nam!

Ralph
Old June 18th, 2009, 02:00 PM

Chair Force!

Uncle Same Ain't Released Me Yet!

Yes My Retarded A$$ Signed Up!