The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

newbie from Canada

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:00 PM

newbie from Canada

Hi: Thought I should introduce myself since I have been a member for a few days. My name is Vic and I live in Ontario Canada. I have a 1964 Cutlass Convertible that I bought August 1976. I am in the process of a body off restoration. I have enclosed 3 pictures of the way the car sits now since I have seen many times that pictures are mandatory. I had the car restored once, but after driving it over 20 years, the paint and interior were getting tired and I started out just getting it ready for new paint and some interior work. Well, one thing led to another and 6 summers later, it is about ready for paint. That will be done next spring. The worst part was the electical system. Nearly everything worked, but only when it wanted to. After removing the dash harness three times and cleaning the connections three times, all is now working, even the glove box light. I don't have many questions, but I did. I wish I had found this site much sooner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1964 cutlass.jpg (92.1 KB, 33 views)
1964 cutlass 2.jpg (90.5 KB, 29 views)
1964 cutlass 3.jpg (78.9 KB, 29 views)
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome to C.O. Vic. You've learned well - no need to remind you for pics. Great project car. Glad to hear it's nearing completion and your electrical gremlins seem to be gone. What color are you planning to paint it?
Nice to see another Canuck on the site.

Want to add your location to the Classic Oldsmobile Map? Here's the link:
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=149866
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:19 PM

Hi Allan: The car was originally dark blue with a medium blue interior. I decided that I like the GM emerald metallic so I'm going with that. I only drive it in sunny weather, so any interior colour other than white almost makes that impossible. It gets too hot. I had a 1964 Mercury convertible with a black interior. You could only drive it on cloudy days or with the top up because it got so hot I kept burning my arms. The electrical was a nightmare. I was going to buy a new dash harness and The Parts Place says on their website that "the customer does not need to supply a fuse box". I've been fooled before so I sent an email asking if the new harness came with a new fuse box, and if the wiring was marked as to where it goes or at least some instructions. I got an email back saying no fuse box and no instructions. Since my problem was corroded connections, I took it mostly apart, cleaned each connection as best I could with a tiny wire brush in my Dremel and for the female ends I got the smallest nail file I could find and cleaned them up. I plugged it all back in and everything worked.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Great color choice

Hopefully it stays working too. Did you put some electrical grease on the connectors to keep them from future corrosion? I'm guessing that you've done your dash in black so it will go with any color you choose for interior? They never had a white dash on any of the cars because of the problems with reflections on the dash.

Emerald green is a fabulous color. I remember seeing it on the 72 Cutlass /white interior and I thought it looked awesome. You can also go with a tan (not dark brown) saddle color interior. It goes well with Emerald green too. I'd prolly go with the tan myself just because of the issues with keeping white clean. Are you going with a white or green top?

Have a look at this link for a great view of the color with white interior
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post68889

Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:58 PM

Hi Allan: I have the dash all done. I painted the metal part, along with the windshield frame the emerald green already. I bought the closest colour match for the dash pad, and although it is not exactly the same, it is as close as I'm going to get. I already have a white interior, green carpet and a new white top. That all goes on after the paint. That will make my wife happy. since one bedroom is half full of interior parts. There is a local car, a 1965 Cutlass where the guy painted everything white including the dash. There's no contrast and it just didn't look right. Clean is not a problem. No eating or drinking in my car, and I don't let anyone in it with dirty clothes, so no stains. I have everything I need for it except the chrome bezel for the power antenna, Fusick sells it. Also, my horns have walked away somehow so I need to find a pair. I have a buddy close by with another 1964, and he has clips that hold the windshield washer hoses to the cowl. Mine never had them so I have to find them also. Maybe someone here has a parts car and I can get them to sell me these parts.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:07 PM

Welcome fellow ON Canadian.

Whereabout are you in Ontario, we've got alot of guys in Hamilton/TO/Ottawa areas.

I actually imported my car from Ontario, had to go through the whole quebec registration process (PITA). But it's done now.

If you need parts for early cutlasses, John (2blu442) on this site has alot of em'. Drop him a line and see what he's got.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by vix6t4
I have a buddy close by with another 1964, and he has clips that hold the windshield washer hoses to the cowl. Mine never had them so I have to find them also. Maybe someone here has a parts car and I can get them to sell me these parts.
I think I saw those today while I was looking at ordering parts today on ILT (In Line Tube) Hang on I'll check. Nuts! it's for 68-72.

If you post in the Parts wanted section of the site you might get someone responding.

3 guys on this site I'd recommend who very well could have your part?
Eric (jensenracing77) Brazil, Indiana
Scott (Oldspackrat) Indianapolis Indiana
John (2blu442) Medford Oregon

I'd be really surprised if someone isn't able to help you find those parts. In a worst case scenario, could you use your buddy's parts as a template and fabricate your own?
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:14 PM

That is a nice colour, but not the green mine will be. Mine is quite a bit darker. I saw it on a cavalier or sunfire and really liked it. As far as the electrical, I put lithium grease on every connection, and I'm hoping it keeps working too.
There was a lot of body work to do on it, and I put everything back on except the bumpers to make sure it fit before it got painted. Thats why all the mouldings grille, lights are there. They will all come off again for paint.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So ignoring the 4 door, is it more like this color or darker still?

Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
So ignoring the 4 door, is it more like this color or darker still?

[IMG]htg[/IMG]
Is it just me or does that cutlass have a REALLY tight turning radius..
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:25 PM

I live in St. Thomas, about ten minutes south of London. I will post an ad in parts wanted and hopefully someone has them. The clips would not be hard to make, but the ones I saw felt like spring steel. If worse comes to worse, I might just use some brake line clips to keep the tubing from falling into the engine compartment until I can find the right ones. Thanks for the contacts, I will give them a try also.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:28 PM

Thats the colour. That car does seem to have the wheel turned a lot. Mine doesn't, however mine is a 1964. That could be the difference.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Tony! How ya doing?
The T.R. is the same for the 4 dr as the 2 dr.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:31 PM

I've got a 72 and my wheels don't turn like that, maybe it was modified.

St. Thomas is a nice place, I've got family down in the niagaras and London so I've cruised down that way many times.
Old August 24th, 2012, 05:12 AM

Hey , welcome to the forum , your not far from me.
Old August 24th, 2012, 05:16 AM

Welcome fellow Canuck. Looks like a great project.
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hey Tony! How ya doing?
The T.R. is the same for the 4 dr as the 2 dr.
Tony is doing great! Back at work now, i worked 3 weeks straight on the car to get it inspected and plated. AND IT WORKED!
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:32 AM

I dunno where Paul is, but he's in Ontario too. We're planning to do an eastern cutlass meet. not sure where would be the best for everyone to triangulate and meet up.

Are all your cars up and running?

Here's a picture of mine in front of my place.

It's far from perfect, but i've done everything myself (paint, bodywork, engine repair, suspension, steering, rear end, trailing arms).

heck, there list goes on, here's a picture.

Old August 24th, 2012, 08:25 AM

Mine won't be ready for this year but next year I'll be in for sure. I still have a lot to do and this has been a bad year for having any time to work on it.
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:10 PM

Vic, welcome to the forum from the National Capital (don't hold it against me ).

It sounds like you caught the MAWs (might as wells). We have a member, Rob, who can supply you with MAW deflecting head gear. I think it should be mandatory for all CO members!

Tony, are you sure the picture is big enough?
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:05 PM
L69

Welcome
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Welcome Vic.I am glad I found this site before I started rest work!
Tony, those front wheels on the 4 door sure look out of whack

Ted
Old August 25th, 2012, 04:09 AM

Welcome aboard
Old August 25th, 2012, 06:03 PM

I was going to snap a picture of the dash today, Allan, to give you an idea of the final colour, but yard work was piling up and according to my wife, that is MUCH more important than working on the Cutlass. I'll try tomorrow. Also, thanks for all the kind welcomes. I didn't know there were as many people as crazy about Oldsmobiles as I am about my Cutlass. Vic
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by vix6t4
I didn't know there were as many people as crazy about Oldsmobiles as I am about my Cutlass.
That's just the nature of this site! We tend to get that way at times. Looking forward to those dash pics when you get the time.

Old August 26th, 2012, 08:34 AM

Haha, when i actually take a good picture i like to show it loud and proud.

And besides, it's gotta be in the right light or else it shows all the bodywork that needs to be done... lol
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:16 AM

Hi Vic welcome to Classic Olds ,I'm just up the road from you in London ,got a 72 Cutlass
i bought this year ,this site is perfect for an Oldsmobile fan ,lots of folks who don't mind giving free advice and encouragement .
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by 61reoldsman
Hi Vic welcome to Classic Olds ,I'm just up the road from you in London ,got a 72 Cutlass
i bought this year ,this site is perfect for an Oldsmobile fan ,lots of folks who don't mind giving free advice and encouragement .
And some of it's even good,
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Haha, when i actually take a good picture i like to show it loud and proud.

And besides, it's gotta be in the right light or else it shows all the bodywork that needs to be done... lol
Hey, how do you post such a big pic anyway?
Old August 26th, 2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by DENT
Use an image hosting site like Photobucket, then put the [img] link in your post here and it allows bigger pictures, since the pic is not actually uploaded on the forum directly.
Old August 28th, 2012, 05:56 PM

I managed to get a fairly decent picture of my dash showing the colour. It is not quite right, but close. The colour of the metal part of the dash is going to be the colour of the car.

To the guys that are close by in London and Straffordville, it would be nice to know if you go to any cruise nights locally, maybe we could meet. I would love to see your cars in person. Vic
Attached Images
cutlass dash 2.jpg (63.6 KB, 12 views)
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:23 AM
wait.... what....

Hey Vic, welcome to the site! I am also from London, and the only cruise, car show around here i attend with my car is in my driveway when people with cars that are on the road come by to visit lol.
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by DENT
I did exactly what paul said except i used the CO site to host my album.

I scaled the picture down until it JUST fit. And then Boom, Big cutlass.
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:34 AM
wait.... what....

I find around 640x533 big enough. I hate scrolling side to side to see pics and read posts
Old August 29th, 2012, 06:03 PM

I havent' been to a cruise night at all so far as my car is in a MAW process ,not much
driving up on jack stands !! lol
Old August 29th, 2012, 11:58 PM

Nice project!!!