The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie from Comox,B.C., Canada

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2009, 07:12 PM
442forsure

Newbie from Comox,B.C., Canada

It is great to be connected with Oldsmobile car guys. I have just bought a 4 speed '66 442 Holiday Coupe . It has a 425 Olds with a '66 Tri Carb manifold and carbs. The engine has a W30 cam with solid lifters. The 400 motor which was originally in the car came with the car. I don't know much about the history of the car and am trying to get as much information as I can. My friend and I will be starting a body off restoration in March 2010. I intend to keep the car as stock as possible.
Could someone tell me how to get a list of options available with this car in 1966? For instance I would like to know if the Rallye Pac was available in the 1966 442. I would also like to know if the Rallye Pac is available today.
Thanks
Pat Mills
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:40 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! Our knowledgable guys will be chiming in with all sorts of advice for you eventually! Some are in bed already... Jamesbo?
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Welcome to our site! Our knowledgable guys will be chiming in with all sorts of advice for you eventually! Some are in bed already... Jamesbo?
Yeah, Sandy??? Wakeup .... nudge nudge, you 'wake????
Comox is 3 hours earlier than you are down in Ohio. I'm surprised you're still up.

Hi Pat, welcome to CO.
As Sandy said there are lots of guys who will be able to help you out. A 66? Post some pics. If you're looking for some specific info on 66, take a look at https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...her-while.html 66 ragtop. He's one of the guys who really knows a lot about these cars, and it's basically what you're starting out with. Don't get the idea that Richard is the only one who loves 66/67, it's just that he's posted that thread over a couple of years to get the car to where it is today.

Could you get the rallye pac option in 66? Yes, it fits into the right side pod and has a clock in the middle. Can you get them aftermarket? I don't think so. Mostly you'll find 68-72 rallye pacs being reproduced. I looked on Parts Place 66/67 catalogue and Fusicks but didn't see anything there. But on the bright side, they do have tons of pieces for mechanical, body panels, trim etc.

If you need a list of suppliers, let us know. I'm just across the mountains from you in Alberta. Best regards, Merry Christmas and good luck with your project.
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:38 PM
442forsure

Thanks for the information Allan. I'm from Edmonton five years ago as well.
I'll take some pics and post them.

Pat
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by patmills
Thanks for the information Allan. I'm from Edmonton five years ago as well.
I'll take some pics and post them.

Pat
How'd you end up in Comox? Get posted? You're probably laughing all the way to the bank with the weather you get out there compared to what we get here. OOOOHHH! Just checked your marine forecast . You got gale forecasts winds 35-40 knots. So, it's gonna be a sweetheart of a day if you go out on the water.

BTW where did you live in Edmonton? I'm up in Castlebrook at the north end of the City.
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:54 PM
442forsure

We lived north of St. Albert for 22 years and then in St. Albert for another 10.
I think its paradise out here and the wind and rain don't bother me at all because all I have to do is think 40 below!!!

Merry Christmas back to you.

Pat
Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:41 AM
olds..older..oldest

Lotus land

Welcome aboard! Always good to have another Canadian Olds afficianado with us here at CO ! I'm in Ontario [Barrie], while my folks and sister are out in Victoria. When I'm buried under 3 feet of snow, they LOVE to let me know they're headed out for a walk to look at the flowers and occasional palm tree! Sounds like you've got a GREAT project to work on. Saw that model at the Olds Club of Canada meet in London in August and was super impresssed[esp. that tripower set-up!] We've got a real friendly bunch of people on this site who will provide invaluable help as you get that beaut restored,but ya' gotta get pics posted ASAP,as we're a photo-hungry lot. All the best of the "Holidays' !! Derek
Old December 22nd, 2009, 05:06 AM
Captain of my ship

Welcome

Hey Pat welcome from the other coast. I have 2 brothers and a sister that live in Courtnay/Comox area. been there a couple of times and loved the scenery there. Plus the fishing is pretty good , I could just reach in and grab 20lb salmon with my hands I had a buddy who was from Duncan which is not too far away and thought that was a pretty cool town. Yes the rain is better that -40 but you guys just got dumped on a few days ago eh! Sis told me that they closed all the bridges and some streets but luckily she lives in a high spot. Good luck with your 66 resto and do check out the thread on Richards build , he did some great work. There are some guys on this site who know where you can get parts and may even have some of the parts you need. You can always use the parts wanted area to post requests or check out the parts for sale and just key in 66 442. My brother Greg may fix one of your appliances sometime cause that's what he does out there and my other brother Doug is a bigwig with the bank of Montreal. My sisters husband works in fort MacMurray most of the time and is back right now for xmas but will be going back Jan 2 . he makes pretty good money there so I guess he will be there a while. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions cause there are lots of guys here that are more than happy to help you out.Cheers
Old December 22nd, 2009, 05:24 AM
Past Administrator

Pat, welcome to CO. Looking forward to hearing more about your project in the future.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 05:36 AM

Welcome

Y-a-w-n

Welcome aboard

Y-a-w-n

I'm glad you joined up and someone was still up to welcome you too the site.

I'm finally up and stiring. I've got to go make me some breakfast so, I'll let the 66 experts help ya out.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 05:40 AM
Getting There

Welcome to the forums Pat

let me know if you need any help with anything just down the road from you
Old December 22nd, 2009, 05:41 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Pat, nice to have you aboard from the left coast, sounds like a nice car,
Old December 22nd, 2009, 05:49 AM
Getting There

the 66/67 Rallye Pac is not repoped so you will have to find one.If my memory serves me right they were available later on in the 66 model year around april or may. Not sure but Richard might still have one for sale.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 07:58 AM
442forsure

Thanks

Thanks fellows for your great welcomes!!! Looking forward to all the sharing that happens on this site. Fortunately my friend who I am going to work with on the car, is a car guy and has been a body man as a career. He has a '57 Chevy that he restored from a lot of boxes so he will be able to teach me a lot. Its a cool car - a Bel Air hdtp with a 283 4 barrel and three on the tree.
We also have a great car club in Comox and there are even two Oldsmobiles in it - a 1960 4 door hdtp and a '39 coupe which has to be restored.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:59 AM

Hi Pat,
Welcome aboard. Try calling GMs Vintage Vehicle Services in Oshawa,On.
They have an 800# that you can find on the web.You'll be able to specific information on your car (provided it's a Canadian car) all you need is your serial#.Good Luck.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:47 AM

Seems there are a few of us that live out here on the Island.
I'm in Nanaimo.
I look forward to hearing more about your resto!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by bulldog
Hi Pat,
Welcome aboard. Try calling GMs Vintage Vehicle Services in Oshawa,On.
They have an 800# that you can find on the web.You'll be able to specific information on your car (provided it's a Canadian car) all you need is your serial#.Good Luck.
They'll just refer you to another number. Here's the form you need for info for GM Canada to get information back to you. The guy who does this is George Zapora.

I've attached the service request they will send you via email. Print this sheet, fill in your info and fax it in. The number and the cost are printed on the form. Unless you specifiy normal delivery, they'll process it at the higher cost and quicker delivery.

Sorry, I couldn't post this as a picture, the upload for CO and photobucket don't seem to allow them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
option_57.75.pdf (16.9 KB, 8 views)
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:17 PM

I actually did it over the phone by giving them my visa # without any problems,and had it within 2 weeks of the request.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
442forsure

Thanks for the information - I'll try that after Xmas. My car came from Washington 10 years ago and before that I don't know but I think it was sold originally in USA.
Here's some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
442-1.jpg (58.9 KB, 21 views)
442-2.jpg (54.6 KB, 22 views)
442-3.jpg (54.7 KB, 19 views)
442-4.jpg (83.5 KB, 20 views)
442-5.jpg (55.9 KB, 20 views)
Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks for the information - I'll try that after Xmas. My car came from Washington 10 years ago and before that I don't know but I think it was sold originally in USA.
Here's some pics.
Nice car Pat,
Something about those pics really really bothers me. I had to look really close before it became startling and very clear. I assume these are recent pics of course and that would emphasize my point: You got no snow!!! WTH?

Hey, I wish I could say the same. Car looks pretty good for starters. The problem areas you might find are under the vinyl top and moldings; the rear deck area and the front cowl area were noted areas where rust would creep in. Washington cars get their share of wet weather, so I'm thinking you might be finding some rot when you start the teardown, including the floor pans. I especially like the 2 door HT models from 66/67 they have that really nice sail panel and inset rear glass. The SS wheels are likely from an 83+ car since they are the chrome ones. Those were usually on the 83/84 hurst olds. Has the car been upgraded to front disc brakes? Those wheels should handle it really nice. The have the offset you would need for discs.

Some minor damage on the trunk? Check the seams on the inside for rot. The back end is consistent with a real 442 with the emblem placement and the blacked out Olds trim panel.

That passenger side mirror? Gotta go, it's not even close to stock. Do you know what rear end the car has?
Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:34 PM
442forsure

Allan
I have to check the ratio - don't know. Its pretty low because it turns about 3200 rpm in 4th. I am going to put a 3.23 because I want a nice highway cruiser. Thanks for the info on the wheels - they're 15 inch, and no it hasn't been converted to discs but am going to go to power discs during the frameoff. Also going to give it power steering.

Yes the mirrors will definitely go. Have just been doing a lot of research and admiring so haven't done much til we start the body off.

I am replacing the water pump right now and am waiting for Lordco to mix me the right colour of bronze and then can get that done.

The pictures are today so right - no snow!!!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:49 PM

Nice looking car,Pat
Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Allan
I have to check the ratio - don't know. Its pretty low because it turns about 3200 rpm in 4th. I am going to put a 3.23 because I want a nice highway cruiser. Thanks for the info on the wheels - they're 15 inch, and no it hasn't been converted to discs but am going to go to power discs during the frameoff. Also going to give it power steering.....I am replacing the water pump right now......
All good projects. 3:23 isn't really a highway cruiser gear IMO. Have you considered a 3:08? That would give a real balance of power and some economy on the highway with reasonable rpms and room to punch? Good to hear about the PS/PB. Getting going is one thing but getting r stopped is way more important!

The pictures are today so right - no snow!!!
yup, thought so, here's what it looks like outside in Edmonton right now!!

IMG_1200.jpg?t=1261526737

It's only -14 and no wind so it's actually quite nice.

One more thing: About your cars history. GM Canada will not be able to help you with any documentation. They only have it for cars that were built for export/sale in Canada. The US did not keep records like GM Canada did. Sorry to give you that bit of sad news.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:42 PM
Getting There

I thought that might be the car you bought... Dave Stubbs old car
he actually has a 66 Cutlass I might buy off him for a driver
Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
442forsure

OK Allan - thanks for the picture - now I remember why we moved to B.C.

I am going to try GM Canada - who knows - maybe the car was originally sold in Canada.

Is the silver 442 beside SuperGirl your car? It looks really nice!!!

Pat
Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
442forsure

Originally Posted by Ranzan
I thought that might be the car you bought... Dave Stubbs old car
he actually has a 66 Cutlass I might buy off him for a driver
Wes
Right it was David's car - saw the '66 Cutlass you're talking about when we went to get my car.
Pat
Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:20 PM

Allen, How much snow do you guys have there. Sure looks like alot.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

OK Allan - thanks for the picture - now I remember why we moved to B.C. I am going to try GM Canada - who knows - maybe the car was originally sold in Canada. Is the silver 442 beside SuperGirl your car? It looks really nice!!!

Pat
No, sorry to dissapoint. This is the vision of my car finished. My car looks exactly like that only different. (I'm getting the vinyl top installed in 2010 now that I have all the trim and the vinyl) Mine is the same color though with the same sport options, so it's how i vision my car by the end of next year. I've been collecting OEM and NOS options that were 1972 specific for the last 3 years. It's almost time to clean out the garage and tear it apart to install them. The option list is HUGE, everything from W29 appearance and handling to PW,PDL, Ptrunk, Pseat, Cruise, aux lighting, elec rear glass defog, rallye pac, HD cooling, posi 3:42, rear deck spoiler, tinted glass, nightguard, T44 hood lock, 455/400 etc. The list just keeps going. I have to plan the order everything will be installed so it only has to come apart once. My car is featured on one of the CO banners (right side, under the 83HO and VC)

Allen, How much snow do you guys have there. Sure looks like alot.
Depends on your point of view. It's not the heavy wet crap. It's the light fluffy stuff. (A real draw to those wanting to live in Alberta). Maybe about 25-35 cm now, but it's been snowing all day, and there's more - another 5-10cm on the way tonight. The road crews are doing pretty good keeping the streets plowed and sanded. According to my car, there's about 15 cm on it I haven't brushed off in the last 2 days.

My young neighbors all have snowblowers, cause it's too much work to shovel . I still use the old arstrong method. Bought one of those new "ergonomic" shovels so my back wouldnt hurt after a major storm. They're crap (the shovel and the storm).
Old December 22nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
442forsure

Nice looking car,Pat
Yours too!!! Thanks
Old December 23rd, 2009, 10:58 AM

welcome to the forum .

belgium greetz

marc
Old December 23rd, 2009, 02:11 PM

Yours too!!! Thanks
Thanks Pat,
Actually I bought this one owner car in Langley,BC.Two years ago,and drove it back to Ontario without a problem ,It was built in the US. But was sold new from Preston Chev Olds. in Langley.However as nice as it is I think I'd rather a 66/67 my favorite years.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 02:24 PM

Welcome! I didn't know there were parts of Canada that WERENT snowed in right now. How is your weather in the dead of winter, though? Looks like a real nice ride.

--Ryan