The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

newbie in Canada

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2011, 08:13 PM

newbie in Canada

Hi I am new to the forums, looks like a lot of good info here. I recently purchased a 68' cutlass convertible. I live near Calgary Alberta. I'll try to post a pic.
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:57 PM

Heres a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1968 olds pics 015.JPG (164.7 KB, 32 views)
Old February 6th, 2011, 09:14 PM

Welcome to the site! Nice looking car, but what's all that white stuff in the background When the weather warms up you'll have to take another picture with the top down. Does it have red interior too? John
Old February 6th, 2011, 09:18 PM

This car came from the states, I bought it off of ebay of all places. (seller was full of it) But still a nice driver, interior is also red.
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:07 PM

Welcome to the site. Have you ever been to our show in Olds, AB in July?
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. I think that the white background actually makes the car stand out pretty well, but admit that it would look better in the spring with green grass in the background and the top down.
Old February 7th, 2011, 07:11 AM

Welcome to the site. Love a red car with red interior.
Old February 7th, 2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by 1968ragtop
seller was full of it
Details! We need details!

Your car looks very nice, and the white background from the snow makes the red stand out even more.
Old February 7th, 2011, 08:17 AM

Welcome to CO, and welcome to your '68 Red Convertible, also! Have an affinity for them! Be so glad when that time of year comes back to Texas (in the picture), am really tired of all this white stuff/cold/wind/etc.!!!!! LOL!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BigRed 004.jpg (62.6 KB, 7 views)
Old February 7th, 2011, 08:23 AM

As for the seller from ebay, I bought the car from San Diego Classic and Muscle cars. I didn't fly down to look at the car just pics and a detailed vehicle description. I was told the car was a very original car with a repaint and a new top but had very minimal rust underneath and no rust anywhere else. This was a blatent lie. The floor pans are going to be replaced in the next month or so. 1 place on the frame needs to be reinforced because of rust, quarters look pretty good but I think at some point in the future will need to be fixed again. trunk already has a few patches in it. Ofcourse as the buyer it is my responcibility, I just don't like to be lied too. It will be a nice driver for the summer though! The Olds show in Olds Alberta, I've been going there for years, I've owned several 69 442s and a 69 H/O convertible replica in the past.
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:22 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM

I bought the car from San Diego Classic and Muscle cars.
It's kind of surprising that a dealer would not be honest with you. Unlike an individual trying to sell a single car, he's got a reputation to protect because he wants to sell cars for a living. Oh well, at least you ended up with a very nice car.

Not that I've ever owned any of them, but of the '68-'72 Cutlasses, I always liked the '68s because it was the only year with the headlights separated by the turn signal lights. You can always tell at a glance that it's a '68. With the '69-'72s, I'm never quite sure, even though I've had it explained to me a half-million times. I'm sure if I owned one, I would pay closer attention and could learn to see the differences easily. Until then, though, I'll just wallow in ignorance.
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:13 AM

As for the seller from ebay, I bought the car from San Diego Classic and Muscle cars. I didn't fly down to look at the car just pics and a detailed vehicle description. I was told the car was a very original car with a repaint and a new top but had very minimal rust underneath and no rust anywhere else. This was a blatent lie. The floor pans are going to be replaced in the next month or so. 1 place on the frame needs to be reinforced because of rust, quarters look pretty good but I think at some point in the future will need to be fixed again. trunk already has a few patches in it. Ofcourse as the buyer it is my responcibility, I just don't like to be lied too. It will be a nice driver for the summer though! The Olds show in Olds Alberta, I've been going there for years, I've owned several 69 442s and a 69 H/O convertible replica in the past.
Geeze, you're going to make me guess aren't you. What was the car you brought last year? I don't recall ever seeing the H/O Conv replica.
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
It's kind of surprising that a dealer would not be honest with you. Unlike an individual trying to sell a single car, he's got a reputation to protect because he wants to sell cars for a living. Oh well, at least you ended up with a very nice car.

Not that I've ever owned any of them, but of the '68-'72 Cutlasses, I always liked the '68s because it was the only year with the headlights separated by the turn signal lights. You can always tell at a glance that it's a '68. With the '69-'72s, I'm never quite sure, even though I've had it explained to me a half-million times. I'm sure if I owned one, I would pay closer attention and could learn to see the differences easily. Until then, though, I'll just wallow in ignorance.
Geeze Jaunty, I've told you a billion times, don't exaggerate.
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:36 AM

The previous oldsmobiles I had were years ago. The first car I ever owned was a 69'cutlass hardtop then a 73 cutlass, then a 69 442 4speed sport coupe, 69' 442 holiday coupe, then a 69 cutlass convertible H/O replica I sold the last one about 12 years ago, so I am just getting back into it. I've been just a spectator at the olds show for years, now I can bring a car there again. I havn't seen my old H/O clone since I sold it, but I think its probably still around somewhere. As for Joe Petralia at San Diego Muscle and Classic cars, unfortunately he is full of it. But then again he's a used car salesman! On the upside, it is a nice looking car, runs and drives nice, interior is good, top is new and just about everything works. It just has alot more rust and poorly done repairs that he lied to me about. Next time I'll buy a plane ticket!

Last edited by 1968ragtop; February 7th, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:51 AM

The previous oldsmobiles I had were years ago. The first car I ever owned was a 69'cutlass hardtop then a 73 cutlass, then a 69 442 4speed sport coupe, then a 69 cutlass convertible H/O replica I sold the last one about 12 years ago, so I am just getting back into it. I've been just a spectator at the olds show for years, now I can bring a car there again. I havn't seen my old H/O clone since I sold it, but I think its probably still around somewhere. As for Joe Petralia at San Diego Muscle and Classic cars, unfortunately he is full of it. But then again he's a used car salesman! On the upside, it is a nice looking car, runs and drives nice, interior is good, top is new and just about everything works. It just has alot more rust and poorly done repairs that he lied to me about. Next time I'll buy a plane ticket!
Look forward to seeing you there with a car this year. You can sign up (and pay) at www.oldsnorthernlights.com Lots of 68-72 A-bodies at the show.
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:20 PM

I'm hoping to make it out to cruise night in three hills and the olds show in olds. I think you should bring the brunette in the bikini in your pic to the olds show!