The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Need help with buying decision

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2013, 10:37 AM

Need help with buying decision

Hi! I'm new to this site and wanted to get some feed back on a 1986 Cutlass Supreme,I'm wanting to buy my daughter as first car. It has 69k orig miles, automatic, pwr steering and brakes, 6cyl. seems to run great and drive very smooth. Body and interior are pristine but it needs paint job. It also fogged up windshield after short test drive, I'm wonderig if its leaky hose or heater core - heter was not on. Also, it needs a new headliner - orig. is completely torn off. They are asking $1,000, any feedback on price and cost est. of repairs would be appreciated. Thanks for you help!
Old May 20th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by shawnsds
Hi! I'm new to this site and wanted to get some feed back on a 1986 Cutlass Supreme,I'm wanting to buy my daughter as first car. It has 69k orig miles, automatic, pwr steering and brakes, 6cyl. seems to run great and drive very smooth. Body and interior are pristine but it needs paint job. It also fogged up windshield after short test drive, I'm wonderig if its leaky hose or heater core - heter was not on. Also, it needs a new headliner - orig. is completely torn off. They are asking $1,000, any feedback on price and cost est. of repairs would be appreciated. Thanks for you help!
Definitely sounds like a heater core, which is pretty easy to replace on these cars. Also, check the rear frame rails for rust behind the rear axle. This is a common problem for these cars.
Old May 20th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Administrator

A heater core is not a big deal nor are the other issues you describe. $1000 for a running driving low mileage car is a great price. If your not mechanically inclined have it checked out by a mechanic. If the mechanic gives a clean bill of health I'd say go for it. Figure another $3-4k for sprucing it up.
Old May 20th, 2013, 03:24 PM

thanks guys! iam mechanically inclined and when I saw the engine it was sweet to see that there are no computers, everything seems to be easy to get to - it will be fun to work on. it is frustrating with the newer cars when yiou know the problem but can't fix it because you need special tools or its a damn computer sensor - drives me crazy!!! Remember, points, rotors, etc.?
Thanks again for your help, i'll be back to ask about replacin heater core. take care.
Old May 20th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Administrator

No computers?
Old May 20th, 2013, 04:11 PM

1986 Cutlass Supreme definitely has computers, unless someone has stripped out the drivetrain and retrofit something older. What's up?
Old May 20th, 2013, 04:26 PM

x 2 on what Joe said, rust develops on the trunk floor under the carpet right above the frame, bottom of doors are likley suspects for rust as well.
Old May 21st, 2013, 06:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1970supremevert
x 2 on what Joe said, rust develops on the trunk floor under the carpet right above the frame, bottom of doors are likley suspects for rust as well.
Actually, I'm talking about rustout of the rear frame rails themselves. The G-body cars have boxed rails behind the rear axle that collect water and rust out. This is so common that there is a vendor who sells replacement rear frame rails.

A stock 86 307 uses the CCC (computer command control) electronic Q-jet. It uses about a hundred miles of vacuum lines and a very rudimentary computer. The computer controls the primary mixture ratio with a solenoid that pulses the primary metering rods up and down. There is a throttle position sensor built into the carb and an HEI distributor that does not have a vacuum advance canister - the advance curve is controlled by the computer. The computer also controls solenoid valves that switch vacuum to the vacuum break diaphragms on the carb, the EGR valve, and the EFE valve (the exhaust crossover valve). The computer also controls the A/C compressor clutch to the extent that the clutch is disengaged at wide open throttle.

The CCC system works great BUT you must adjust it EXACTLY as described in the Chassis Service Manual. Fail to do so and you'll be constantly chasing your tail and cursing the system. If the computer has been bypassed, you must have a non-computer carb and a HEI distributor with a vacuum advance canister. You also need to rewire the A/C clutch circuit if you want A/C to work.
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:48 AM

That sounds like a good deal. If you fix the heater core it should run like a champ.