The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Austrian Olds Omega owner

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2019, 03:32 AM
Olds Omega

Austrian Olds Omega owner

Hi all,

I'm Karl from Austria and just bought a 1973 Olds Omega!

Originally I planned my project with a Chevy Nova 1973 as my very first US Car for my 50th birthday! This is why the design from Bruce Kaiser is with a Nova.

Anyhow, when I run across this Omega, which is from a yard who's owner is going to retire and therefore was a great offer, I took the Olds!
Will be a complete rebuild with a Chevy LTG 2.0 Turbo engine swap. I'm planning this project than almost over 1 year and now got it started Omega will be shipped End of the month.

Looking forward to some input and discussions!
Kind regards
Karl
Old March 12th, 2019, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sounds like an interesting project.
Old March 12th, 2019, 07:05 AM
Jeff

Here's an idea: instead of the Chevy 2.0 turbo, try and pick up a Quad 4 2.3L, rebuild it proper (they had a flaw with head gasket failures, but a good rebuild should rectify that problem), and throw a turbo on that 2.3 like GM originally planned. Or you could go to the next gen 2.4L DOHC engine.

I suggest those 2 because the Quad 4 was an Olds engine. The "Keep your Olds, Olds!" crowd would love to see that build. Maybe some of the more technical guys on here could comment on the feasibility of a FWD engine transplant into a RWD car.
Old March 12th, 2019, 10:04 AM

Excellent!

That will be a cool project. Good luck.
Old March 12th, 2019, 10:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. GM actually built a Nova with the 2.0 turbo when they released the crate version of that motor. While I'd prefer the Q4, the reality is that the LTG motor kicks it's *** - 272 HP and 295 lb-ft. Plus, with Quad4Rods out of business, the RWD bellhousings for the Q4 are nonexistent.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/2-0l...t-performance/

Old March 12th, 2019, 11:06 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Welcome. GM actually built a Nova with the 2.0 turbo when they released the crate version of that motor. While I'd prefer the Q4, the reality is that the LTG motor kicks it's *** - 272 HP and 295 lb-ft. Plus, with Quad4Rods out of business, the RWD bellhousings for the Q4 are nonexistent.

^^ That's the type of info I was hoping to see in response to my post. However... how about a 645hp Q4?!

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/201...quad-4-engine/

Funny how the Q4 came up on Jalopnik this week, too. My folks had a Calais with it when they first came out, and my Dad hated how noisy it was. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to drive it before he traded it in on a new Lesabre. The head gasket issues always kept me away from buying a used car with one 20 years ago, and it's more of a curiosity to me more than anything now.
Old March 12th, 2019, 11:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

I had a Q4 in a 1990 Grand Am that I got for free. Daily drove that car until the POS three speed transaxle lost second gear. The motor was great (even in stock 150 HP form) but the gear ratios in the trans absolutely did not match the performance of the motor. The five speed manual would have been a much better choice. The coil on plug ignition system on the Q4 was a little problematic. Got tired of having to constantly mess with it. Ultimately I junked the car for $300 (on a car I got free and drove for two years!)
Old March 12th, 2019, 01:36 PM
Olds Omega

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

this project is one reason for my project!

Last edited by exotec; March 12th, 2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old March 12th, 2019, 01:56 PM
Olds Omega

the LTG 2.0 Turbo as RWD is available in Cadi ATS/CTS and Chevy Camaro - there are hundreds of engines and transmissions available on very fair prices.

also a view companies offer very interesting power up kits like ZZPerformance or Vermont Tuning which makes it quit easy to achieve 350 to 400hp with the LTG 2.0 Turbo.

I friend of my owns an Opel Insigina Turbo FWD with a engine tuning from a local German shop with 380hp - and this is an awesome performance, engine and car!