My 1972 base to 442 clone / Resto (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2019, 11:12 AM

As promised here are some more pics of the PUI panels - quality is very nice. Includes a clear plastic sheet as a moisture barrier between the black vinyl and the padding.

On the Door panels I had to add the chrome divider at the bottom and I also added the proper 442 emblems for 1972 442.

This is also a view of how you have to trim the plastic and padding to get the vinyl to stretch and pull and then glue onto the metal backing...TEDIOUS process !!

I plan to button up the headliner this weekend as well as paint all of the wind-lace using the SEM product.
I should have final images of the rear panels installed by Monday (my goal at least).

Enjoy the weekend

close up of the rocket emblem, 442 specific

full view of back of panel with all of the various locations for cuts based on options

more detail of the cutouts

nice detail for where to cut for window crank

view of the rear panels, you can see the 3 layers of vinyl, plastic, padding - trimming is necessary to not have the padding overlap onto the back of the panels

the slow process of glue, stretch, place, clamp, and wait LOL
Old March 29th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Brian,
On the Door panels I had to add the chrome divider at the bottom and I also added the proper 442 emblems for 1972 442.
That's just not right. In 72 you would keep the stylized Claret S emblems the car came with. There wasn't any 'proper 442 emblems' as you've stated. These cars would keep the interior theme they were designated with from the factory. Even the W30 models had Cutlass or Cutlass Supreme on the glovebox and door trim that matched the model production. That trim you installed, while it looks nice, is incorrect for a 442. I don't know who told you that it was, but they're wrong.

The only place where the 442 numerals will show is
  • deck lid
  • driver side grill
  • fenders
If your plans are to clone the car, remember to delete the stainless steel rocker trim and body side moldings too, and also add the "Oldsmobile" script to the hood above the DS high beam headlight. The faux louvers on the W29 should also be black with chrome reveal. You're going to all the trouble of making the car look like a stock 442, so these suggestions are to help you on that journey.
Old March 29th, 2019, 12:15 PM

Thanks Allan... bummer on the emblem information everything let me to believe it was correct, they look good so obviously they’re going to stay. I am aware of the exterior molding’s so thanks again for the reminder. I think my last step will be the exterior trim and paint as that is going to cost me $$$ since I’m going black on the color.
Old March 29th, 2019, 12:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Many people like black on their cars. It's an awfully hard color to keep clean. Your car will stand out though because in 1972 black (color code 19 - Ebony Black) was never offered on any of the entire GM A body line. Since you're going with the 455, are you also planning to replace the stock bumper with a dual cutout and trumpet exhaust?
Old March 29th, 2019, 12:24 PM

Yes sir...have one sitting in the garage already
Old April 2nd, 2019, 09:58 AM

had a busy weekend, I got 85% of the headliner stretched and in place, will finish up rest of this week. here is the rear panel now that I did final stretch of vinyl and placement around the contours.

Old April 2nd, 2019, 02:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Very nice!
Old April 2nd, 2019, 05:44 PM

Here is a view of how the headliner is coming along. Once I finish the rear tomorrow I’ll take my wife’s steamer to it and see if it will pull the small wrinkles out.

Old April 2nd, 2019, 06:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Did you do sound insulation in the roof before the headliner? Any plans to install that in the body before the carpet and seats go back in?
Old April 3rd, 2019, 03:13 AM

I didn’t put too much thought into the roof since I have a vinyl top car, and I’m trying to tell myself don’t boil the ocean with doing everything right now . For the floor yes when I get home from work tonight I’m taking up the carpet and taking the two front bucket seats out because Thursday I am picking up the rear seats from the powder coat guy so now’s the time to put down the insulation and sound deadner and the the new carpet along with the dual gate and center console brackets.
Old April 6th, 2019, 03:57 PM

Hey there everyone, back with a ton of progress !!

Picked up my seat frames, intake, and pulley's' from the powder coat guy, man what a difference !!

I also Added the heat shield/sound deadener and I installed the dual gate (the shift cable is not hooked up yet, but did cut the hold and pass it thru.

The seat upholstery was actually pretty easy and went together with ease - very happy with the results thus far

I can start to see the finish line on the interior

Old April 6th, 2019, 03:59 PM

Last edited by Brians1; April 6th, 2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old April 9th, 2019, 07:40 PM

Back with a mid week update...got the center console in and got the original wire harness I scored used hooked up and all lights are functional also got the carpet installed. I need to finish the carpet as well as source the proper screws for the top plates of the center console.

Was there a metal clip that is supposed to be on the plastic support of the console ? Mine just had the holes so I see no way a screw will secure down ?

Should have my bucket seats back from powder coat this Friday as well.

Last edited by Brians1; April 9th, 2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old April 9th, 2019, 08:35 PM

Brian, hats off to you for this project😀. Thanks so much for the updates 😊. Keep em coming and I'm looking forward to the final outcome 👍

Dave
Old April 15th, 2019, 05:59 PM

Some more small progress....While I wait on the powder coat guy to finish my front bucket frames I decided to put the oil pan on for good as I finally have the cam degree done (no adjustments needed) and I have the timing cover. I will put the water pump and balancer on tomorrow after work, I wanted to do it tonight but my kids were off their rockers and I needed to keep some of my sdanirty before I snapped...thank god for whiskey (and my wife who poured it )

I also used the SEM landaeu black and I did the headrests, they turned out awesome in my opinion.

Timing cover gasket

Oil pan gaskets in place with front and rear rubber seals

Small amount of black RTV at the corners

More black RTV at the corner

Final torque..I read various suggestions on torque - I did 20 ft/lbs and figured that was good

SEM spray went on great

Another view...cant believe it was once brown

more to come

Last edited by Brians1; April 15th, 2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old April 16th, 2019, 06:38 AM

Great thread Brian, job well done! You are doing exactly what I plan to do. I picked up a 71 Cutlass with a bench seat and green (horrendous to me) interior with a 350. I plan to dye the interior black and build a 455 big block. Glad to see a good review for the SEM dye. Keep it up!
Old April 19th, 2019, 11:24 AM

Just a brief small update picked up my bucket seats for the powder coat during lunchtime today as expected they look great. I will wrap them this weekend

Old April 20th, 2019, 07:08 AM

Ok guys I was able to knock out one of the seats before I have to get ready for my sons baseball game today. my goal is once the kids go to bed tonight I’ll get the other one done, no work tomorrow on the car so I’m trying to cram everything in today. Overall I’m pretty happy with the way the seat came out and for my first one ever I didn’t screw it up !

more to come
Old April 20th, 2019, 07:00 PM

And then there were 2

Old April 20th, 2019, 07:34 PM

Brian, as I said before, this build is beyond words. Your talent and attention to detail are impeccable 😀
I applaud you as you continue along your journey.

I do have a question though...when you started this project, did you have a time frame in mind for estimated completion, and, if so, are you happy with your progress? I only ask because while the various things I've done to my 72 Supreme (and things I want to do) pale in comparison to the work you have done, I sometimes.get frustrated when I don't meet my timeline.

How do you deal with not meeting a goal that you set for yourself?

Thanks,
Dave
Old April 21st, 2019, 04:15 AM

Thanks Dave. Actually didn’t set a firm goal..,my kids are young, one is 8 and the other is 4. My wife works retail and I of course work my day job as an engineer. Life is busy so I only go out in the garage when I have time and/or the kids want to help. One of the things I do though is if I start something I force myself to finish it , i don’t want to keep walking past it every day in the garage knowing I stopped. so that’s really what is keeping me on point to finish each item as I pick it up. I did tell my wife that I wanted the car to be completely done before I turn 40, which is next December so I think I’m on track for tha...not too much left before paint and body
Old April 21st, 2019, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Brians1
...One of the things I do though is if I start something I force myself to finish it , i don’t want to keep walking past it every day in the garage knowing I stopped...
That's how I am... but with me it's not so much forcing myself (I love turning wrenches and tweaking here and there on my Cutlass), it's that I always seem to run out of time before I finish a project. That's what is frustrating to me. Then I have to wait until the next opportunity to get back to what I started, and then I feel like my next project will have to wait until the next time...does this happen to you?
Old April 21st, 2019, 04:51 AM

Oh yea - def !
Old April 21st, 2019, 04:54 AM

Oh yea - def !
How do you keep your sanity knowing it's not done and you're chomping at the bitt, just waiting for the next opportunity to get back to it?
Old April 21st, 2019, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by 72455
How do you keep your sanity knowing it's not done and you're chomping at the bitt, just waiting for the next opportunity to get back to it?
I have no sanity left, I chase my 8 and 4 year old non stop ! Working on the restoration and turing wrenches is my calming downtime so any time I get to work on it, I really enjoy it.
Old April 21st, 2019, 06:22 PM

I have no sanity left, I chase my 8 and 4 year old non stop ! Working on the restoration and turing wrenches is my calming downtime so any time I get to work on it, I really enjoy it.
Ditto...it just drives me bonkers when I have something nawing at me that I wanna do and have to wait...and that's what I'm saying...how do you deal with the thought of knowing you have something you wanna do, but have to wait until you get the next opportunity?
Old May 1st, 2019, 06:10 PM

Ok back with a small update . I got the passenger side front door panel 90% done.
tomorrow I’ll Add the weatherstrip and then I should be able to mount it

more to come
Old May 3rd, 2019, 06:41 PM

Ok made some great Friday night progress - passenger side door panel done !! My interior is really looking amazing !!!

more to come
Old May 4th, 2019, 05:55 PM

Ok I got both panels done . Now just some small odds and ends
what a difference ! Pretty proud of my efforts here !!

Old May 7th, 2019, 10:27 AM

So swung by National Carburetor on my lunch break and picked up my Rochester 4 barrel i had rebuilt. The before and after photos speak for themselves.
I had them do a Stage 2 Performance build on it as well which included:
  • Install APT (ADUSTABLE PART THROTTLE)
  • Apply epoxy to main body casting plug
  • Install bushings in baseplate to eliminate any potential vacuum leaks at primary throttle shaft.
  • New jets and metering rods.
  • High flow .130" needle and seat assembly.
  • Nitrophyl solid composite float
  • High capacity accelerator pump
  • New electric choke

Old May 7th, 2019, 11:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Your carb is 1971 but should work fine on your 455. Nice job with the rebuild.
Old May 7th, 2019, 12:08 PM
Running On Empty

I have the same carb (7041251) sitting on my 1971 350 ('71 CS) although the carb is for a '71 455. I just rebuilt it last month. I don't use an electric choke (old school). They did a great job on your rebuild. It should purrr like a kitten.
Old May 7th, 2019, 12:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

IIRC the only real difference between the 7041250 and 7041251 is the metering jets. And those have been changed on this carb for performance.
Old May 7th, 2019, 12:15 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Allan R
...those have been changed on this carb for performance.
Duly noted as per Post #150
Old May 7th, 2019, 12:43 PM

Best part is National Carburetor is running a $100 dollar off deal right now celebrating their 62nd year in business - for $200 bucks, I was happy to pay that for the end result. This is my 4th rebuild with them, they do excellent work, and they are local, headquartered here in Jacksonville ** And Yes I knew this was off of a 71
Old May 7th, 2019, 12:53 PM
Running On Empty

That's good information to know at a great price for anyone considering a rebuild. I was pulling 17.5" Hg vacuum before I did the rebuild so I felt pretty confident the base plate & air horn (weren't warped) & the bushings were in good shape & I continued to pull 17.5" Hg after I did the rebuild.
Old May 7th, 2019, 05:11 PM

Couldn’t resist, had to moc it up

Old May 29th, 2019, 08:49 AM

hey guys - I know I have been MIA, life has been busy !! School is now out and Baseball is life for my son right now, district qualifiers, fireball tournaments, state qualifiers - its non stop !! ** But i do love it. My daughter had her first ever ballet recital as well and it was awesome, im in store for a lot more of those

What I have managed to do if get my rims back from powder coat. I had them done in . primer Grey so it will be ready for paint, just need to be scuffed with some scotch bright. Looking at them from before to after looks fantastic !

More to come
Old June 16th, 2019, 06:13 PM

Hey there - hope everyone is having a fantastic Father’s Day. I was able to spend some time in the garage today as a result I got the new rear springs on, the new rear boxed lower control arms on, as well as new shocks and the rear sway bar is all in. In the next two weeks I plan on going to a buddies house who has a lift to put in the Turbo 400 transmission

more to come
Old July 14th, 2019, 01:05 PM

Hey there members...so I was able to get some work in today on the block...I masked off and laid down the blue to the block. In comparing this color to others I have seen...how far off is mine ? This is what I used...it went on fairly easy, but it is lighter that I was expecting. I was expecting a slightly deeper blue, but I have never seen one in person with original block color so I don’t have much to go on.

More to come

Quick Reply: My 1972 base to 442 clone / Resto (lots of pics)