Lets get started on my 1967 Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2021 | 08:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by KAIDOautosport
The Impala B body uses the 5x4.75 PCD as well and I think it is the same death trap as a Delta 88.
The Impala of that vintage uses a completely different chassis, suspension, and smaller brakes. It's a lighter car. I had no problem getting Torq Thrust wheels in the correct offset and bolt pattern for my 67 Delta. VN405, VN515, and VNCL205 series Torq Thrust wheels come in 5 x 5" bolt pattern in the correct offset for these cars, in 18" and 20" diameters.
Old October 19th, 2021 | 09:04 AM

I checked the American Racing website and the 8x18 is always Offset 0 and the 10x20 is Offset 6. The VNC405 is the only version with custom offsets but they are nearly three times the price of the VN205
Nothing breaks because of the different PCD. As I said my ISF uses 5x4.5 and weights around 1700kg, My Infiniti M35 Hybrid is around 2000kg and also uses 5x4.5. Nissan GTR uses 5x4.5 as well. And if we talk real muscle Dodge Hellcat uses 5x115mm.
Old October 19th, 2021 | 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by KAIDOautosport
It will be legalized with the OEM wheels.
You sly guy!

As our long-time user undoubtedly know, I'm not an advocate of bolt pattern adapters. Having said that I've considered buying knock-off wheels for my 71 98. Knock-offs are the ultimate "bolt pattern adapter." I guess all I can say is buyer beware and good luck.
Old October 19th, 2021 | 10:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
You sly guy!
Knock-offs are the ultimate "bolt pattern adapter."
Not really. They were designed and tested to be used exactly as intended. Every dually pickup comes from the factory with 6.5" spacers on the front hubs due to the offset of the wheels, again designed and tested for that particular application.
Old October 19th, 2021 | 02:47 PM

Just wanted to chime and compliment you on your English.

I’d be surprised if there were even 10 Americans who would have the German skills to ask detailed technical questions auf Deutsch and understand the responses.

Very well done.

And it must be fun to have 1 of perhaps 12 Oldsmobiles in Germany. Fantastic that you chose such a rare car to maintain in Europe. You have courage.

Cheers
Chris
Old October 19th, 2021 | 03:04 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by cfair
And it must be fun to have 1 of perhaps 12 Oldsmobiles in Germany.
There are far more Oldsmobiles in Germany than you'd expect. I'd venture to suggest there are likely 1,000+ Oldsmobiles in Germany; and, I believe my figure is conservative.

Here is just one site listing 100 Oldsmobiles for sale in Germany. Again, this is one site. I'd suggest for every Oldsmobile advertised for sale, there are ten times that number in private possession by Germans.

https://www.theparking.eu/used-cars/...e-germany.html
Old October 20th, 2021 | 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by cfair
Just wanted to chime and compliment you on your English.

I’d be surprised if there were even 10 Americans who would have the German skills to ask detailed technical questions auf Deutsch and understand the responses.

Very well done.

And it must be fun to have 1 of perhaps 12 Oldsmobiles in Germany. Fantastic that you chose such a rare car to maintain in Europe. You have courage.

Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris Thank You for the compliment. I want to speak english because since I drive import cars since 2003 I need to get informations from all over the world and English is the most universal language around the globe. I also think it's more easy for Germans to learn English then it is the other way around. To be honest no one needs to learn German as long as we all can agree on one language we are all learning next to our mother language. And if this is English then I can totally live with it.

Regarding the Oldsmobile situation in Germany or Europe, I have no idea how much are around but we have a pretty large US car scene. Maybe it's just because I own one now but if I drive around on a Sunday I see at least 10 or more US classic cars doing the same. And in Saxony we only have these cars for 30 years now. In the Western part of Germany with the US soldiers a lot of US cars came to Germany and often stay after they went back home.

The Delta 88 was the third option for me. The first car I was looking for was a 1970 Buick Skylark, then I switch to the 1970-1972 Olds Cutlass S and I nearly had one but the seller was an older men and it was a little bit of a struggle to get all the paperwork together for the shipping company. When another buyer showed up with the money cash in hand he sold the car to him. And then I found this Delta 88. It wasn't the Coupe but since it was the Holiday version and the price was more on the lower end of my budget I gave it a shot.
And to be honest I didn't expect it's so trouble free. I just replaced the leaking brake lines and a new master brake cylinder and it runs just fine. Little things here and there like the AC, the right rear window only rolls down with the switch in the rear door, the clock is not working and the bench only slides back and forth but don't recline. But hey thats nothing for a car of this age also nothing I can't fix myself or with my friends. I see more VW and Audi with larger electric problems and they are 5 years old or so.

I found out after I bought the car that the Olds B body is a little tricky to deal with when it comes to finding parts. But after my first disapointment it's now more a challenge to me to achive the goal I have in mind with this car and I you all point me in the right directions for parts wich is very helpfull and I think it's all doable.
Old October 22nd, 2021 | 04:47 AM

I like those wheels, looks good!!
Old August 5th, 2022 | 11:44 AM

Long time since I post any news.

So what happend so far. I took care of two issues, first the worn out steering get an new steering box and some new power steering lines. Also the AC needed a new condenser and an new blower motor.

Today we „adjust“ the suspension so I looks a lot better with the American Racing wheels. Next week will be exhaust week. Then I get rid of the old crusty one sided exhaust. Also the O2 bung will be welded in wich means the Sniper EFI can be installed.

Old August 6th, 2022 | 08:08 AM

Very cool, I like the stance, just right
Old August 6th, 2022 | 03:18 PM

Sweet more door cruiser. Nice job.