1970 442 W-30 project

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2014, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 72xw30
Scott,

Pictures of An original 979 dist.

Please post detailed pictures of your 979 distributor.
I will PM you the details on where to get your checked out.

Sam

Now that I have something to compare to I can see the difference. The carb numbers on mine are not straight and the RK is too far away from the part #. The distributor last "9" is a different font on mine. Look where the circle of the 9 comes around.

Now some GOOD news. I drove my car a good 15 miles today and everything went well. I have a sticky throttle cable though so I need to fix that but it felt pretty good to get out on this sunny day and finally drive. I thought some people were going to get whiplash though from looking at us driving by.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DISTIBUTOR NUMBER.jpg (48.1 KB, 41 views)
Old May 4th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Doc

stamps

Stamps are often uneven, I wouldn't sweat it Scotto...enjoy the ride and sound of your father's
Old May 4th, 2014, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by DocOldsW30
Stamps are often uneven, I wouldn't sweat it Scotto...enjoy the ride and sound of your father's

What don't sweat what -being ripped of thousands of dollars??

How would you feel???

Scott, glad the car runs great - congrats again on a beautiful car.
Enjoy!!!

Cheers,
Sam

Last edited by 72xw30; May 4th, 2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old May 4th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Doc

Apparently you two are close. I wasn't meaning to offend.
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:06 PM

Apparently you two are close. I wasn't meaning to offend.
My apologies then, my mis- understanding.

Sam
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Doc

No worries.
Old May 5th, 2014, 05:46 AM

I just want to thank you guys for looking out for me on these parts that I am putting on my car. I did not know any better and If I was to ever sell this car I would have beleived these parts were real and then they would have came back at me. Hopefully this will all work out and I can find the real parts. So if anybody has an OW trans, W30 distributor, W30 carb and a W30 rearend for my 1970 442 w30 let me know.
Old May 5th, 2014, 08:24 AM

I will have an OW transmission soon but it will be sold as a core needing rebuilt. It was pulled in the early 90s.
Old May 5th, 2014, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by ScottoW31
I just want to thank you guys for looking out for me on these parts that I am putting on my car. I did not know any better and If I was to ever sell this car I would have beleived these parts were real and then they would have came back at me. Hopefully this will all work out and I can find the real parts. So if anybody has an OW trans, W30 distributor, W30 carb and a W30 rearend for my 1970 442 w30 let me know.

Scott,

Well the saving grace here is that your reserch found this information out now rather then way later. Sam is a very knowledgable guy about these hard to find parts as he has many original "W" cars. Us being Oldsmobile enthusiasts and being part of such a small group of people, we all try to keep this as a hobbie, have fun restoring and enjoying these rare cars. Your car without a doubt desrerves original W-30 parts as your restoration is one of the best I have seen in the last couple of years. Keep your chin up and things will fall back into place. Enjoy the car as it is now but down the road it will be worth the extended effert you have made to get the correct parts. Yes, the hunt starts again but at least you have a beautiful resorted 1970 W30 to start with!!!!! LOL Let me know if you need anything Scott, looking forward someday soon to get out there and see your car in person and give it a genuine Authentication!!!!
Old May 5th, 2014, 09:26 AM

Now that I have something to compare to I can see the difference. The carb numbers on mine are not straight and the RK is too far away from the part #. The distributor last "9" is a different font on mine. Look where the circle of the 9 comes around.

Now some GOOD news. I drove my car a good 15 miles today and everything went well. I have a sticky throttle cable though so I need to fix that but it felt pretty good to get out on this sunny day and finally drive. I thought some people were going to get whiplash though from looking at us driving by.

Scott,

Here is another 979 dist. 9L19 date code, just like Costpenn's.
Again, both have identical stampings along with other things that are the same between the two.

Sam

One of my 979
ad53743f44fc3583deda1a07179d39f6_zps864f3cee.jpg

Costpenn's 979
510a9e3322a60d0b46afa6cce4dd171b_zps2b989570.jpg

Last edited by 72xw30; May 5th, 2014 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Added more info.
Old May 5th, 2014, 06:06 PM

What don't sweat what -being ripped of thousands of dollars??

How would you feel???

Scott, glad the car runs great - congrats again on a beautiful car.
Enjoy!!!

Cheers,
Sam
Hi Sam, its Dean
Sorry for you and Scott that sucks far as the fraudulent parts.
Clearly if the parts came from one person hard to believe its a mistake
I never thought that stuff would happen here or I'm just naïve
Hope you guys are made good and whole on your experiences.
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by dnmfranco
Hi Sam, its Dean
Sorry for you and Scott that sucks far as the fraudulent parts.
Clearly if the parts came from one person hard to believe its a mistake
I never thought that stuff would happen here or I'm just naïve
Hope you guys are made good and whole on your experiences.
I agree Dean. I never thought it would happen here on CO. I thought maybe Scott bought the parts online somewhere else.

I have learned from my experience BIG time! I learned that you should check with a few sources and just don't trust one, even if they are recommended by the board.

Do your homework ! I hope this turns out ok for Scott.

Have a good night.

Take it easy,

Sam
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:50 PM

wow who is this clown so I know not to deal with him.

Fraud such as this is criminal in my opinion particularly with those 70 w-30 part

prices , yes agreed hope he gets his money back

Yes ty I will although I only deal in 68's and 9's

thanks Sam - Dean
Old May 7th, 2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by StickW31
Scott,

Well the saving grace here is that your reserch found this information out now rather then way later. Sam is a very knowledgable guy about these hard to find parts as he has many original "W" cars. Us being Oldsmobile enthusiasts and being part of such a small group of people, we all try to keep this as a hobbie, have fun restoring and enjoying these rare cars. Your car without a doubt desrerves original W-30 parts as your restoration is one of the best I have seen in the last couple of years. Keep your chin up and things will fall back into place. Enjoy the car as it is now but down the road it will be worth the extended effert you have made to get the correct parts. Yes, the hunt starts again but at least you have a beautiful resorted 1970 W30 to start with!!!!! LOL Let me know if you need anything Scott, looking forward someday soon to get out there and see your car in person and give it a genuine Authentication!!!!

Hey aren't you soon publishing a 70 authentication book re: W cars and parts or is it Sam writing it.
Old May 7th, 2014, 10:05 PM

Scott,

StickW31 - "authenticating the car" why don't you start off by authenticating the parts Scott received???
Talk soon Steve!

Sam
Old May 7th, 2014, 10:08 PM

in all honesty that would help his cause where people could utilize him for knowledge in 70 parts.
Old May 7th, 2014, 10:28 PM

wow who is this clown so I know not to deal with him.

Fraud such as this is criminal in my opinion particularly with those 70 w-30 part

prices , yes agreed hope he gets his money back

Yes ty I will although I only deal in 68's and 9's

thanks Sam - Dean
Hey Dean
Wonder if others received re stamped W parts through CO?? I seriously hope this was a one time thing!

Last edited by 72xw30; May 7th, 2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old May 7th, 2014, 10:36 PM

yeah didn't even think of that well maybe others will post pics of stuff they might be unsure of . You know I got a carb was a 69 know I am beginning to wonder if that was fraud it was a 69 254.
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:12 AM

Hey aren't you soon publishing a 70 authentication book re: W cars and parts or is it Sam writing it.

Yes Dean, actually now thinking about it I do see how my testimonial on validating W -31 & W-30 parts would further give credence to my project.

I will say the pics that I have seen from different sources re: partsin question are definitely fraudulent .

This is criminal based on the money being spent and down right unethical.

I too as well as Sam hope this has not been going on for some time where others have been ripped off.

Regardless it needs to stop and others need to let us know if they think they bought fraudulent parts as well.

Sincerely Steve
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:27 AM

See, you should .
Do you think others have been affected ?

Last edited by dnmfranco; May 8th, 2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:36 AM

Well said Steve,

Anyone else by an OW trans through this site?
Let's start there, and move on 1 by 1 to other forged /restamped parts.

Anyone?

Sam

Yes Dean, actually now thinking about it I do see how my testimonial on validating W -31 & W-30 parts would further give credence to my project.

I will say the pics that I have seen from different sources re: partsin question are definitely fraudulent .

This is criminal based on the money being spent and down right unethical.

I too as well as Sam hope this has not been going on for some time where others have been ripped off.

Regardless it needs to stop and others need to let us know if they think they bought fraudulent parts as well.

Sincerely Steve
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:42 AM

Well said Steve,

Anyone else by an OW trans through this site?
Let's start there, and move on 1 by 1 to other forged /restamped parts.

Anyone?

Sam
That's a good start and idea

getting pics of my the carb (254) today that I sold

Person I sold to thinks it is a re-stamp as well I feel terrible

however if confirmed I am going on a JIHAD
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:10 AM

That's a good start and idea

getting pics of my the carb (254) today that I sold

Person I sold to thinks it is a re-stamp as well I feel terrible

however if confirmed I am going on a JIHAD

Well first i would start another thread in genreal discussion to keep the carb seperate and possibly have more poeple see it for possible other re-stamps.
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:33 AM

well as mentioned suppose to get pics later let me know where to post
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:45 PM

Moving this aspect of thread to new location so scott's resto is still the focal point
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Doc

Resume

Moving this aspect of thread to new location so scott's resto is still the focal point
Agreed. Let's get back on point. I'm in same restolds mode as Scott.
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:29 AM

Agreed. Let's get back on point. I'm in same restolds mode as Scott.
Thanks.

I took my car to the 1st local car show of the year. But afterwards I could not control my right foot when there was 500 lb-ft of torque there. Car needs some tuning and there is a couple minor things I need to finish up. It was fun and it gets tons of looks going down the road.
Attached Images
2014-05-09 17.41.03a.jpg (129.5 KB, 88 views)
2014-05-09 20.42.01a.jpg (64.4 KB, 74 views)
2014-05-08 21.54.49a.jpg (79.2 KB, 83 views)
2014-05-08 21.55.05a.jpg (87.2 KB, 80 views)
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:45 AM

I'll chime in here with a few comments, questions, and opinions:
1) Scott, the car looks awesome---Congrats on the outcome!
2) Brian, what are the conical washers you are speaking of on the seat cover buttons?
3) I've always used and been happy with Legendary interior products.
4) I've many times used InLine Tube products and have yet to receive an incorrect or damaged item.
5) This fraudulent activity concerning parts has grown into a dilemma; it is getting worse instead of better. When money is involved, attitudes and honesty are clouded with deceit. It is unfortunate that this hobby (passion for me) has evolved into a way for the "less than honest" to take from the "more than honest". Just as Scott put his trust in the vendor from which he obtained his parts, the next caregiver for Scott's W-30 would have trusted Scott, and another deceitful transaction would have taken place. Scott would/could be liable for something he had no idea he had created. Many here on this site ARE honest and trustworthy, and as stated earlier, the circle is small and we must band together to try to limit our exposure to these criminal acts. I recently purchased an item from Scott and he is now in my "circle" I am happy to say. If we pool our intentions and knowledge, and expose the perpetrators, maybe we CAN make a difference!!! Again, congratulations to Scott for his beautiful W-30!!!
Old May 16th, 2014, 08:41 AM

Scott did you get fully refunded in which I hope , also more importantly who sold you the fraud parts so other members don't get taking advantage of - Dean
Old May 16th, 2014, 09:00 AM

Thanks.

I took my car to the 1st local car show of the year. But afterwards I could not control my right foot when there was 500 lb-ft of torque there. Car needs some tuning and there is a couple minor things I need to finish up. It was fun and it gets tons of looks going down the road.
Scott,

Any trophies for the car?

Sean
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Boilerz25
Scott,

Any trophies for the car?

Sean
No trophies on the car. It was a peoples choice type car show and people don't vote for stock cars. They vote for the bling bling cars like the street rods.

Scott did you get fully refunded in which I hope , also more importantly who sold you the fraud parts so other members don't get taking advantage of - Dean
Brian Trick sold me the parts and he did make it right with me. He asked what I wanted to do and we both came to an agreement and he gave me a full refund for the parts. Now I just need to find the parts again.

Last edited by ScottoW31; May 16th, 2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Put answer to quote in wrong place
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:05 PM

Are you going to Homecoming with your car?
Old May 17th, 2014, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Are you going to Homecoming with your car?

I do plan on being there with my car. Hopefully the weather will be nice and it won't snow. Hope to meet up with you there.
Old May 17th, 2014, 09:33 AM

I read your entire thread here Scott and you've done a spectacular job with your complete restoration. You have a beautiful car and I'm sure that you're pleased. - Steven
Old May 18th, 2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by 69ishHoliday
I read your entire thread here Scott and you've done a spectacular job with your complete restoration. You have a beautiful car and I'm sure that you're pleased. - Steven
Thanks Steven.

Took some more pics today of the car. Drove it another 60 miles this weekend.
Attached Images
2014-05-18 16.31.15small.jpg (228.9 KB, 49 views)
2014-05-18 16.30.21small.jpg (107.6 KB, 52 views)
Old June 1st, 2014, 05:35 PM
MOTORHEAD

fake w30 parts???

Old June 16th, 2014, 08:38 AM

I saw the car at Homecoming - very nice!

I also saw Scott towing a little red wagon with a real OW transmission and a proper rear end. He could have displayed the parts and got as many looks as the car!
Old June 16th, 2014, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Boiler_81

I also saw Scott towing a little red wagon with a real OW transmission and a proper rear end. He could have displayed the parts and got as many looks as the car!
X2. The car looks awesome!

lol, When I pulled in Friday night I had people chasing me down before i even came to a stop. First question was about the OW. I didn't even know he could see the code as a drove by.
Old June 17th, 2014, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
X2. The car looks awesome!

lol, When I pulled in Friday night I had people chasing me down before i even came to a stop. First question was about the OW. I didn't even know he could see the code as a drove by.
Originally Posted by Boiler_81

It was good meeting you guys and thanks for the compliments. It was a good show and a lot of fun. Can't wait to get the trans and rearend in the car.
Attached Images
Homecoming 2014.jpg (101.6 KB, 31 views)
Old July 19th, 2014, 08:34 AM

Scott, any updates?

Quick Reply: 1970 442 W-30 project