64' Cutlass Steering Wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2008, 03:54 PM

64' Cutlass Steering Wheel removal

My left turn signal is jiggly and it won't reset after a turn. I can look into and see it's loose, so I thought I'd pull the wheel and tighten it up.

I took the two screws off the back of the spokes but nothing comes off?

How do I remove the wheel?

Thanks for any help. I just found this forum. Bought my car out of a garage where it was sitting since '77.

If you're interested, here's a photo page:

http://homepage.mac.com/pureentertai...otoAlbum3.html

You can also see the wheel I'm talking about.

thanks!
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:05 PM

Pull off the center cap and underneath you will see a nut. The nut gets loostened and then you will need a puller to get the steering wheel off. Most auto parts stores have pullers.
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Pull off the center cap and underneath you will see a nut...
Careful, because that's the part of the car that causes the most accidents...

(...wait for it...)

The NUT THAT HOLDS THE WHEEL!

(sorry, I've been waiting DECADES to use that joke)
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:05 PM

does the center cap just pull off?

I tried tugging on it and it seems pretty tight. Obviously I don't want to screw it up.

jdj
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:17 PM

Thats a very nice car!! Is their any rust on the car? Did you get it started?

About the steering wheel, is their two halves for the front and back section of the wheel? You would think that those two screws would hold on the front part of the spoke, but I cant tell you for sure because I have never worked on cars that old. Also see if you can tell if the center section of the wheel looks like it one piece with the spoke. Definately dont force anything, you really dont want to ruin anything in that clean interior!

Good luck.
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:24 PM

Thanks. There is no rust on the car, it's totally clean.

Yes it is running… and running like a scalded dog! Very fast and an incredible amount of torque. Puts you in your seat till you let up on the throttle. I kinda like the "junkaway" tranny as it's called in other sections of the forum.

The front of the steering wheel looks like it's all one piece. Seems like removing the screws should let the front go, but it's still stuck in the middle.

I agree, I don't want to force anything unless I'm absolutely sure that's how it comes off. I guess I'll go buy a Haynes manual tomorrow.

Thanks again for the nice comments on my car. Took 8 months to get her running, but it was worth every minute.

jdj
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:30 PM

here's a pic of the wheel. I hope. Still learning the forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cutlass dash - 1.jpg (62.2 KB, 40 views)
Old October 18th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jdanieljones
does the center cap just pull off?

I tried tugging on it and it seems pretty tight. Obviously I don't want to screw it up.

jdj
Suggest you pm Gearheads78. He knows a lot about these cars.

I think you have to disconnect the battery to take off the wheel. Something about pressing the center horn button down and turning it to the right or left to release its locks. That wheel should come apart by releasing the 2 screws on the back and twisting the center cap locks, then tug the center cap off. I think the center on those old wheels is pot metal, not plastic. Could be wrong though.
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Awesome

That is an AWESOME car. What a steal! Hope you get that slight problem fixed. I would LOVE to find something like that!!
Old October 19th, 2008, 05:35 AM

This is the slight problem. The big problem is an oil leak of Exxon Valdez proportions! My mechanical advisor thinks it's probably due to the fact I replaced the timing chain cover without dropping the oil pan. Something about a little lip that it goes under. I'm hoping to lure him over to give it a once over today.
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:05 AM
car guy

Nice ride. 64's are starting to really grow on me. I just don't like the tail pannel trim. I always think DODGE when I see it. Looks like you stole it. What are the future plans?

As for the wheel I have never worked on a 64 but its looks similar to my 66 there will be some phillips screws on the back side of the wheel spokes.
There should also be some screws under the cap. The cap its just a friction fit. Try to pull it by hand first. If it won't pull off then take a very small flat head screw driver and carefully pry it up at the bottom to get it started. Once off you will see the other screws for the horn button plate. Be careful of the wires. There should be a contact with a spring that may need to be released to get the plate out of the way. Now you need a puller. To get the wheel off. Take off the large center nut and connect the puller. The bolts were too short on mine to get down inside the wheel. It was going to press again the wheel edge causing damage. I did not have longer bolts in the right thread so I just cut off the outside edges of the puller to get down inside. Again this is all 66 specific directions so yours may be different.

Good luck,

-Richard
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Thanks. A big part of any job is knowing what's possible.

I'll keep the forum up to date on my progress.

jdj
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Dodge… that hurts. And I just spent an hour polishing it!

jdj
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:12 PM
car guy

Dodge… that hurts. And I just spent an hour polishing it!

jdj

I know its not fair because the Dodge or Plymouth it reminds me of is in the late 60's so the Olds came first. My buddy has a base model 64 and it has no tail panel trim. I just like it without better.

-Richard
Old October 19th, 2008, 01:14 PM

........ I guess I'll go buy a Haynes manual tomorrow ........
Factory Service manual would be a far better choice.

Also available from Faxons "Bookmobile" at the Pomona Swap Meet which, by coincidence, was open today.

Norm
Old October 19th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Nice ride. I had a 63 impala with a 283 powerglide combo and was surprised by the pep that little thing had. no complaints about the two speed trannies. BTW You stole that pup I'm jealous.
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:43 AM

Thanks to all,

I'll look for a factory service manual to see about pulling the wheel.

FYI, found and fixed the oil leak this weekend. Valve cover gasket had slipped a bit when things were tightened down. Loosened the oil pan at the front, pushed the gasket back into the channel, buttoned her back up, and she's dry as a bone now.

I didn't steal it! I paid cash (lucky I had it on a Christmas Eve) and they were happy to get it!!

I now have a total of $3,846 invested into my sweet ride.

I'll let everyone know when I tackle the wheel.

jdj
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Steering wheel pics

Found these pictures that show the 65 wheel taken apart. Maybe they will help you with yours.
Attached Images
65 olds wheel 1.jpg (9.7 KB, 44 views)
65 olds wheel 2.jpg (16.1 KB, 16 views)
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:36 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Allan R
Found these pictures that show the 65 wheel taken apart. Maybe they will help you with yours.
Its exactly how I explained

-Richard
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:14 AM

Thanks, I'm going to tackle it this weekend.
Old October 26th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Okay, well I got the wheel cap off, but I'm a bit disappointed. I ended up taking the advice that it was a friction fit and just pried it off. I put a booger in the acrylic doing so, and when I got it off, I realized that it wasn't a friction fit. You just turned it a half turn to the left and it popped right off. Luckily I only bent the tabs that lock it on, and was able to bend it back. I'll be looking at the flaw in the otherwise perfect center cap for years, and kicking myself in the butt everytime!

I always say, I hate doing anything for the first time cause I ALWAYS screw it up. I should have waited for the repair manual I ordered, but what are you going to do. If I'd of looked more closely at the pictures that Allen R sent I would have seen the little notches where the locking flanges go.

Oh well, maybe this will save someone else from screwing up a perfect center cap. Now on to pulling the steering wheel. Let's see what else I can screw up!

jdj
Old October 26th, 2008, 07:34 PM

Oh, I read a previous post and it was the timing chain cover gasket that was leaking. For some reason I substitute "Valve Cover" for the name of almost any other gasket more often than not. Must be a short circuit somewhere.

jdj
Old October 26th, 2008, 08:55 PM
car guy

[quote=jdanieljones;48044] . I ended up taking the advice that it was a friction fit and just pried it off. [quote]

Who gave you that bad advise? Don't you know never believe anything you read on the internet?

Now if you ever own a 66 you will know its a friction fit. Whats weird is the 65 show above looks very very similar to the 66 set up. They must had had too many people breaking them and changed the design in 66.

Did I mention I like your 64?
Old October 27th, 2008, 04:13 AM

No worries. I wasn't blaming you… you fully stated your advice was for your year. I was just imparting my own screw up so that others may benefit. Amazing how simple things are sometimes. I never was any good at puzzles.

jdj
Old October 27th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

No worries. I wasn't blaming you… you fully stated your advice was for your year. I was just imparting my own screw up so that others may benefit. Amazing how simple things are sometimes. I never was any good at puzzles.

jdj
The pics I posted were from an auction on evilbay, but he wheel setup should be exactly the same as yours. The one in the auction looks like the center cap is perfect. If you want, I can pm you the name of the guy who was selling it and maybe you can get him to post it again or sell it to you? He was asking 49 for the wheel and didn't sell it. The info I got for taking off the wheel was also based on web research, so NOT everything you read on the web is junk. Anyway, LMK.
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:19 PM
car guy

jdj
I knew you didn't but I still felt a little bad about it.