Mounting modern bucket seats through floor pan

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2019, 07:11 PM

Mounting modern bucket seats through floor pan

Hi,

Looking to replace my 68 Cutlass bench with 2 bucket seats pulled out of a Benz C class. Got the idea from this article https://www.hemmings.com/blog/articl...e1485155730171

It is pretty straight forward using that guide but my only concern is when drilling new holes through the floor pan, do I need to add some kind of plate anchor similar to the seat belt style anchor plates available? Would 4 of these per seat be a good idea? https://www.julianos.com/Juliano-s-A...p/ju010600.htm
Old May 11th, 2019, 08:45 PM
1968 442 Convertible

I might be interested in your old bench if you are within distance. That said, Mercedes buckets are really going to kill the resale on your car. How to bolt them in depends. But, I generally weld a 5/16 screw to a custom bent bracket, and then weld the bracket to the floor. This doubles the attachment point reducing metal fatigue, and the stud makes it easy to bolt the track down from the top.
Old May 11th, 2019, 10:39 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Purchase the reproduced bench to bucket seat floor conversion brackets. See if you can use them to graft and weld something stout that will work. You need to weld them in. If they don't work, yes, you still need some kind of reinforcing for safety. Find a fab shop that knows how to do this if you don't weld.
Old May 12th, 2019, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Make some doubler mounting plates to go under the floor.
Old May 13th, 2019, 01:31 PM

Here is what I did on my 64 F-85 that had a bench seat. I ordered and welded in what is on the attachment factory replacements. one of your links shows brackets for the rear seat belts. I'm assuming theses seats are powered right? Powering these up with the current old set up can be a challenge to do right...
Old May 17th, 2019, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by therobski

Here is what I did on my 64 F-85 that had a bench seat. I ordered and welded in what is on the attachment factory replacements. one of your links shows brackets for the rear seat belts. I'm assuming theses seats are powered right? Powering these up with the current old set up can be a challenge to do right...

Thanks to everyone who replied, I am taking everything into consideration.

Where did you get that set from? I am trying to avoid making it a challenge to go back to the bench if I decide to in the future once I get it reupholstered. The reason I liked the idea of drilling the floor pan is I can easily remove it without interfering with the original bench mounts. They are power seats and are already on the tracks ready to go. It is very simple to wire, I already connected it to a 12v power source and everything moves fine. I will just dedicate a spot for it on my fuse panel.
Old May 17th, 2019, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Make some doubler mounting plates to go under the floor.

This was my original plan. The article didnt mention what was used under the floor pan. Do you think the seat belt plates and mounting bolts would be solid enough found here https://www.julianos.com/Juliano-s-A...p/ju010600.htm
Old May 17th, 2019, 03:28 PM

I also found these but not sure how it would work exactly as they recommend using the outer factory bolt on one side https://www.opgi.com/product.asp?item=BMB0001

Last edited by yeahbuddy; May 17th, 2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old May 17th, 2019, 03:30 PM
Administrator

the seatbelt mount plates would probably work fine. I guess you'll need 4 per seat. Your other link goes no where. These can work also:
https://www.ss396.com/nova/IBX-RELO.html
Old May 17th, 2019, 07:47 PM

Make some extension plates to mount to the existing bench seat mounts and then you only have to make four holes to mount the buckets.
Old May 18th, 2019, 03:22 PM

Guys I would still weld those plates to the floor after bolting them, call it over kill but that's how I did things on the 64-F85. Safety is a top priority..
Old May 18th, 2019, 05:31 PM

I think I am just going to order this kit and have it welded in. Thanks for the replies.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/o...yABEgJtqfD_BwE
Old May 18th, 2019, 05:53 PM

Those are the one bro.....I installed new floors and braces that is why it got the other 2 smaller pieces...
Old May 18th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Just remember that the brackets and buckets seats need to be compatible.
Old May 18th, 2019, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
Those are the one bro.....I installed new floors and braces that is why it got the other 2 smaller pieces...
Yeah, I just need to measure out the width of the seat and make sure the seat will be centered with where the outer original bench bracket is located. I appreciate the replies.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Just remember that the brackets and buckets seats need to be compatible.
Yeah, for $40 I am just going to order it and do some measuring to see if it can be used. Seems like the most logical and safest way to go without destroying the original bench brackets. Thanks for the replies.
Old May 18th, 2019, 06:18 PM

As you mentioned, the original brackets from the bench seat are still there. That said when you get the parts in, dry fit the new brackets to your new bucket seats along with the old bench seat floor mounts and DRY fit over and over. That said, work with your seating position along with the new bucket seat VS the floor shifter make sure you feel comfortable shifting, because in some cases these new car seat replacements, they can sit to high. Your are electric so that a plus...
Old May 18th, 2019, 07:24 PM

Will do. It's got a column shifter. The car is not that serious, just a 68 Cutlass Supreme Holiday Sedan that I got during a rough patch of my life about 10 years ago. It held me down as my daily for almost 8 years and taught me a bit about basic mechanics. I probably will never have the heart to sell it so I decided to just restore/customize it to my liking and enjoy it some more. I just roll down all the windows and pretend it's a coupe.

Finally got some Wilwood disc brakes for the front recently.

Last edited by yeahbuddy; May 18th, 2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old May 19th, 2019, 07:49 AM

This is how I did mine.... I have fixed back buckets but, it would also work for your application as well.

Last edited by gear head; May 19th, 2019 at 07:51 AM.