Cardboard headliner in 68

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2020 | 11:35 AM

Cardboard headliner in 68

Under the factory headline on my 68 is a cardboard piece that is glued to the ceiling. It's wet and extremely soft. Rubbing your finger with pressure will scrape it off.

It is complete and I am going to be applying sound deadening material. Question is do I need to scrape all off the cardboard first?

It is going to be messy as heck and probably has asbestos. What do you guys do when dealing with the ceiling/roof?
Old October 2nd, 2020 | 12:30 PM

If the cardboard is falling apart anything you put over it won't adhere properly. You should remove it.
Old October 2nd, 2020 | 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
If the cardboard is falling apart anything you put over it won't adhere properly. You should remove it.
Damn, I am not looking forward to the mess!
Old October 2nd, 2020 | 01:41 PM

Throw a large tarp over everything to contain the mess. Sit on top of the tarp, let it hang outside the car.
Old October 2nd, 2020 | 04:21 PM
Ben

soak it with a spray bottle, then scrape it out with a wide puddy knife.
wetting it will keep it all from getting airborne and into your nose, and also keep it together better for removing in large chunks.

I used a box knife and cut it where it goes between the roof supports and the roof skin and left those chunks in place, removed the rest.

Then prep and install modern sound deadening onto the roof panel.

Its a nasty job, but there is a massive difference in sound deadening after putting modern stuff on it. I used the summit house brand which i read someplace is made by hushmat. I've worked with dynamat before and felt it was pretty equivalent for a lot less $$

Last edited by RAMBOW; October 2nd, 2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2020 | 04:23 PM

Great suggestions. Thanks.
Old October 31st, 2020 | 03:24 PM

Wow. Removing the old glue/tar and cardboard or whatever it is has been a PIA! I spent 2 weekends on it and I still need another weekend to get it fully prepped.

I spent 1 weekend scraping off the cardboard/insulation with a putty knife. It made a HUGE mess but most of it was contained on the tarp I threw down.

This weekend I started using a wire wheel and my drill to get rid of the cardboard residue. I am halfway done but there is still another black tar/glue layer but it is starting to show tiger stripes with the bare metal undernieth. Any suggestions on how to get the black glue off? I was thinking of getting a wire wheel for my angle grinder and get rid of the drill but I dont want to damage the metal.

Old October 31st, 2020 | 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
soak it with a spray bottle, then scrape it out with a wide puddy knife.
wetting it will keep it all from getting airborne and into your nose, and also keep it together better for removing in large chunks.

I used a box knife and cut it where it goes between the roof supports and the roof skin and left those chunks in place, removed the rest.

Then prep and install modern sound deadening onto the roof panel.

Its a nasty job, but there is a massive difference in sound deadening after putting modern stuff on it. I used the summit house brand which i read someplace is made by hushmat. I've worked with dynamat before and felt it was pretty equivalent for a lot less $$
cut like he says,but dont use a lot of pressure,too much and you will have lines on the outside roof to match the inside ones, use caution
Old October 31st, 2020 | 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
Wow. Removing the old glue/tar and cardboard or whatever it is has been a PIA! I spent 2 weekends on it and I still need another weekend to get it fully prepped.

I spent 1 weekend scraping off the cardboard/insulation with a putty knife. It made a HUGE mess but most of it was contained on the tarp I threw down.

This weekend I started using a wire wheel and my drill to get rid of the cardboard residue. I am halfway done but there is still another black tar/glue layer but it is starting to show tiger stripes with the bare metal undernieth. Any suggestions on how to get the black glue off? I was thinking of getting a wire wheel for my angle grinder and get rid of the drill but I dont want to damage the metal.
lacquer thinner
Old November 2nd, 2020 | 05:25 PM

Here is a picture if what I am talking about. You can see some of the metal showing through on the lower portion.