Black interior

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2012, 01:05 PM

Black interior

Just bought a 70 cutlass F85. I want to change the interior to black. Any help on parts would be great. I have found a lot of parts, but no black dash. I need a complete black dash. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Don't get in a hurry. You already have a black dash but don't realize it. The dashpad on your car can be removed, degreased and dyed black. Autozone or O'Reillys can provide you with the degreasing agent (takes off old armor all and 'preservatives' put on by other owners) and spray dye. Takes some work, but then again you were prepared to take it out anyway to 'replace' it right?

BTW, that process will also work on seats, door panels etc. Doesn't matter whether its plastic or something else. The spray dye can also be used to brighten your carpet if it's in decent shape too.
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:59 PM

That's the beauty of black interior. You can paint the parts you need to without having to deal with an accurate match in color. I changed the interior of my '72 from white to black. Everything was new from Legendary except for the windlace, front pillar covers and the headliner and window trim lace. All of which I painted black with SEM Flexible coating. They turned out great. Fortunately my dash was already black. Chumley
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:07 PM

Just be sure you follow the directions and take no shortcuts. It is not difficult. I did my interior in red and it turned out beautifully. Yours will, too.
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:26 PM

I also used the SEM Landau Black on my dash to freshen it up. for a change of color that is what I would use
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:31 PM
AGK

How well does the spray dye work if you are going from white to black? Assuming you have to be somewhat careful so it doesn't turn out splotchy?
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:51 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

I have the black dash , no pad and i have the windlace, front pillar covers and the headliner and window trim lace. All of which are oem black. pm if interested
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by AGK
How well does the spray dye work if you are going from white to black? Assuming you have to be somewhat careful so it doesn't turn out splotchy?
If you prep right (degrease, clean, rinse) the spray black dye does a great job of covering. As with all sprays it's best to do 2 or 3 light coats instead of a heavy drippy one. The dye soaks into the door panel or plastic very well. I've used it with great success even on my original carpet.
Old May 16th, 2012, 05:28 PM
72 Olds CS

SEM brand is all I have experience w and it works good.

on some old mustang seats i went from green to blue and they came out perfect.

I recently used it to go from green to black on seat covers and black to black on hard seat parts all look nice

like alan said several light coats works best for coverage and evenness

before

after

Last edited by RetroRanger; May 16th, 2012 at 05:40 PM.