General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Where do these bolts (copper?) go?

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2012, 06:40 PM

Where do these bolts (copper?) go?

Anyone recognize these bolts? Seem to be copper plated or something. Was looking through a small pile of bolts and can't recall where they were from. I think they are from the dash (or interior at least) area, since they were with related bolts/screws.

Old January 5th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

They are copper shear bolts that hold the bracket to the bottom of the steering column.
There should be four of them, if I recall.

Two steel studs and flanged nuts hold the same bracket to the dash.

- Eric
Old January 5th, 2012, 07:19 PM

Thx. I need to check my margarine container again for the other two. I also need to find that bracket, since it is related to the below part which goes above the steering column... so I can paint/plate them.

Old January 5th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yes, if I'm not mistaken, the studs for the bracket go through the two holes in the far left of the large rusty bracket you've got there.

- Eric
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:44 PM

Yes, they do (those long rusty studly things).

One of them had a thin speed/retainer type nut on the threads. Not sure why since there are two bolts that go on anyway. It was also 'above' the column against that big rusty part shown above... so it was not like it was holding/retaining the column at all.
Old January 6th, 2012, 04:33 PM

Here's the bracket on a parts car. The four copper bolts seem to have rust on them! If you need this bracket and two more bolts let me know. I've got a bunch of extra columns in the rafters of my garage. I know I can come up with some in nice condition. John

P1010023-4.jpg
Old January 10th, 2012, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the pic. I found my bracket. There a few things I am wondering about. First is why they used copper plated bolts. Second... there is some sort of oozing yellow stuff around those aluminum mounting things. Third... there was some hard dark sticky stuff (oh my) on the inside of those alum things as well.

Last edited by oldzy; January 10th, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

They used the copper screws and the glued-in holes because the bracket is designed to break off.

In the event of a head-on collision, the driver would strike the steering wheel, which would push the column forward, breaking off the plastic pins in the shaft on the firewall side, thus allowing that portion to telescope, and shearing off the copper screws, and pushing that bracket forward, breaking the bond of that yellow plastic, and coming away from the dashboard.

Beats the heck out of being speared through the heart by an old-style non-telescoping column, but I'd still rather be punched in the chest by an airbag if I had my choice.

- Eric