General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

smoke out of the crank filter

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2015, 09:31 PM

smoke out of the crank filter

Hi guys I just went and started my car up today and my secondaries got stuck open so my engine rpm ran really high till I figured out why, now I'm smoking out the tailpipe and from the crankcase filter, what do you think happened did I blow the rings or crack a piston but other then the smoke its still running the same. I know I need to rebuild the motor but I needed it to pass smog so I can register it so where I'm staying at don't tow it. So do you guys think I'm screwed?
Old July 3rd, 2015, 05:29 AM
Administrator

No telling without some additional testing, compression and leak down test. Check to make sure your PCV is working properly and connected to overcome engine blowby. You may also have to hook a tube on the opposite side to your air cleaner housing from the valve cover for additional help. As far as visible smoke from the tail pipe could be a number of things. Also make sure your carb isn't dribbling fuel at idle and the a/f mixture screws are adjusted correctly.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by firsttimeoldsowner
Hi guys I just went and started my car up today and my secondaries got stuck open so my engine rpm ran really high till I figured out why, now I'm smoking out the tailpipe and from the crankcase filter, what do you think happened did I blow the rings or crack a piston but other then the smoke its still running the same. I know I need to rebuild the motor but I needed it to pass smog so I can register it so where I'm staying at don't tow it. So do you guys think I'm screwed?
You realize the key shuts the engine off right?
I know when freaking out you may not remember simple stuff like that.
Happened to me recently

If you revved it real high w/o a load you probably broke a ring/ piston. I missed a shift and did that to a 330 many years ago. Never ran the same after that.

Your crank vent tube should connect to the air cleaner so that any smoke produced goes back into the engine. Therefore it won't be seen and you should pass inspection and get a tag and be able to keep it where it is. I doubt that "some" crankcase smoke is grounds for failing inspection. All engines make "some" smoke.

Or, maybe you can put a valid plate from another vehicle on the smoker, WHEN NOT BEING DRIVEN, it only has to look legit when sitting still.

Last edited by Octania; July 3rd, 2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:46 AM

Is the smoke blue, black or white?
P.S. - what kind of car?
Old July 4th, 2015, 09:40 AM

TO frankr442 its bluish black and a lot of it especially when it 1st starts. I mean its bad if the wind is blowing right it fills the cabin up with smoke then it goes away and then once i kick it off fast idle it comes back. Its a 1972 cutlass supreme with 350 VIN R with a "rebuilt" quadrajet
Old July 4th, 2015, 01:01 PM

May have "only" shattered the valve seals into tidbits- easy enough to ck for with rocker cover removal. The tidbits may be helping to block the oil drain return holes.

Clean out the heads' oil return holes at each end of both heads
replace valves seals with rubbery type as needed

route your breather to the air cleaner so that any fumes coming OUT of the filter in the rocker cover go TO the air filter and thru the engine, just like the factory setup as seen in your service manual.

Still trying to picture how this blowby gets into the air after leaving the engine.

Maybe post a picture, eh?
Old July 5th, 2015, 03:51 PM

Here ya go Octania here's some pic of what car is doing. I personally think my motor is done and wont pass smog so reg and no plate LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1st start up (1).jpg (1.41 MB, 32 views)
at idle.jpg (937.9 KB, 28 views)
cold start up.jpg (1.27 MB, 26 views)
where i see blow by.jpg (1.25 MB, 26 views)

Last edited by firsttimeoldsowner; July 6th, 2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old July 6th, 2015, 05:05 AM

Blue smoke at startup is classic leaky valve seals. Easy fix if that's all it is. Try that first.