General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Removing AC

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2020, 04:31 PM

Removing AC

Hello fellow members,
looking for required mods to remove my factory AC from my '69 Cutlass. I want to convert to just a heater/defroster function. Can somebody walk me through whats required for that ?
I already have purchased a firewall AC delete cover that has a provision for heater blower motor. I assume I can get rid of the water heater valve @ rear of intake manifold also.
Can I still keep/use my original under dash heater box & controls; would there be any mods to those ?
Many thanks !
Old February 1st, 2020, 06:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

That A/C delete firewall box is designed to work with the existing under-dash HVAC box. That means that you must retain the vacuum-operated A/C control panel and vacuum actuators on the HVAC box. You can delete the heater control valve, but plug that vacuum hose. Keep in mind that you do need an outlet nipple with the restrictor in it. If you ever need a new heater core, you must use the one for an A/C car. Factory heater-only cars used cables to operate the flapper doors on the HVAC box and thus do not need the vacuum source, but your conversion retains those vacuum-operated flappers. That also means that you must retain the vacuum reservoir on the firewall.
Old February 2nd, 2020, 08:14 AM

Thanks Joe. Sounds pretty straight forward. After I have everything out I do plan to put a new heater core & blower motor back just to refresh everything.
Will need to get a reducer for the heater hose fitting (w/built-in restrictor) as I am using an Eddy RPM intake manifold.
Thanks again !
Old February 2nd, 2020, 08:54 AM

Joe, I have a question for you. I am getting ready myself to do a conversion from my factory AC on my 1969 Cutlass to a Vintage Air system. Will I need to use an outlet nipple with the restrictor in it also? The instructions for the Vintage Air did not say anything about the existing heater valve. The Vintage Air system uses their own electronic valve.

Thanks,
Noel
Old February 2nd, 2020, 11:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Noel Anderson
Joe, I have a question for you. I am getting ready myself to do a conversion from my factory AC on my 1969 Cutlass to a Vintage Air system. Will I need to use an outlet nipple with the restrictor in it also? The instructions for the Vintage Air did not say anything about the existing heater valve. The Vintage Air system uses their own electronic valve.

Thanks,
Noel
The restrictor is required for stock heater cores. If you are converting a factory A/C car to a Vintage Air system and the heater core is part of the aftermarket system, you'll have to ask them.
Old February 2nd, 2020, 05:21 PM

I just completed a VA install on my 67'. I ask VA about needing a restrictor and I was told no. Call and ask them for peace of mind.
Old March 2nd, 2022, 06:23 AM

Many years ago I took the bulky AC off my car and it really hasnt been driven much since then. I am trying to go through and make sure all heater, defrost and fan speeds work. I still have the vacuum reservoir and need to get through all the vacuum lines to make sure all hooked up. I do not have the heater control valve on intake manifold currently and dont know if i have a restrictor. Can you post a link with correct restrictor? I am considering just getting a replacement heater control valve. I also have edelbrock performer on my 350.

Also not wondering if I should try and go back to AC at this point even though i hate the look. Will be searching threads to see about conversion and inventory of all my left over parts. AC never worked when I had it, think bad clutch. Dont know what I kept of the system.
Old March 2nd, 2022, 11:49 AM

The "restrictor" is the 1/4" hole in the threaded portion of the heater valve or nipple.
Old March 2nd, 2022, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
The "restrictor" is the 1/4" hole in the threaded portion of the heater valve or nipple.
If I am understanding correctly I either need to get a new heater control valve or make sure my heater hose fitting is no bigger than 1/4"
Old March 2nd, 2022, 06:48 PM

Both the AC heater control valve and the non- AC hose nipple have a 1/4 inch ID hole in the threaded portion.

If you have a plain nipple, you can make or insert a restrictor. Search the web and you’ll find various styles.
Old March 3rd, 2022, 11:49 AM

I tore my AC out back in the late 80's and now I'm old, reinstalled a Vintage air as I like to be comfortable.
This system does clean up fire wall / hoses/ ect.

Old March 3rd, 2022, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by 69455
I tore my AC out back in the late 80's and now I'm old, reinstalled a Vintage air as I like to be comfortable.
This system does clean up fire wall / hoses/ ect.

I took out the heater on my car probably 20 years ago, after a heater core started leaking. I was at the track almost every weekend, I didn’t drive the car in the winter, I figured I’d rip that stuff out.

Fast forward, a couple years ago I put a vintage air setup in the car. My wife hated the car not having heat on the cooler nights, not having a defroster sucked, and I’m older and grayer, I like the A/C!!

By the way, that looks great under the hood!!