General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Oldsmobile Facts Book

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2019, 07:49 AM

Oldsmobile Facts Book

Hello,

Would a Olds Facts Book be really helpful or are all items covered in other publications like Parts and Accessories Catalog or Assembly Manual or Service Manual?

Thanks, Peter
Old October 11th, 2019, 08:29 AM

Olds facts is kinda baloney. It's a later thing.

You need the Chassis Service Manual first. Then you need the Fisher Body Manual. Both of those are legitimate publications.

Then you need two items, a Parts Catalog and Illustrations book, and this is a legitimate publication, and get as old as you can to your car year, like the next year is good (like get a 73 version if you have a 72....don't get a 78 even though it says it covers 72), and also get an Assembly Manual, which is a home made compilation of instruction sheets from the line.
Old October 11th, 2019, 01:51 PM

Oldsmobile did produce "Facts" small book-binders for sales force to aid in quick answers to prospects questions about colors, equipment, options. I have several for 1952 and a few other years. Not intended for the end user for any reason, but somewhat collectable today. In the days before ebay these were quite pricey, now a lot more available.

Old October 11th, 2019, 06:18 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Koda

Then you need two items, a Parts Catalog and Illustrations book, and this is a legitimate publication, and get as old as you can to your car year, like the next year is good (like get a 73 version if you have a 72....don't get a 78 even though it says it covers 72), and also get an Assembly Manual, which is a home made compilation of instruction sheets from the line.
Free downloads of these parts books are available courtesy of 68 rocket action . ( David Threet ) , on this thread ;
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...atalog-129157/
Old October 11th, 2019, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by coldwar
Oldsmobile did produce "Facts" small book-binders for sales force to aid in quick answers to prospects questions about colors, equipment, options. I have several for 1952 and a few other years. Not intended for the end user for any reason, but somewhat collectable today. In the days before ebay these were quite pricey, now a lot more available.

I thought he meant the later facts and figures books.
Old October 12th, 2019, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I thought he meant the later facts and figures books.
The Facts Book I'm talking about is ebay item 362462792623. As for the Fisher Body Manual, this seems to be very hard to find for my 1963 Cutlass Convertible.
Old October 12th, 2019, 08:32 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Swisspeter
. As for the Fisher Body Manual, this seems to be very hard to find for my 1963 Cutlass Convertible.
It's impossible to find , because it was never published separately .
The information on 1963 bodies was published in a section of the 1963 Oldsmobile shop manual .
Old October 13th, 2019, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
It's impossible to find , because it was never published separately .
The information on 1963 bodies was published in a section of the 1963 Oldsmobile shop manual .
Thank you for your advice. Are the reprinted books any good or should I try to find a original manual?
Old October 13th, 2019, 06:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Swisspeter
Thank you for your advice. Are the reprinted books any good or should I try to find a original manual?
The factory service manuals from the 1960s never existed in digital form. Any CDs, PDFs, or even reprints all started from a scan of a paper original. Details get lost in that process. Get an original.
Old October 23rd, 2019, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The factory service manuals from the 1960s never existed in digital form. Any CDs, PDFs, or even reprints all started from a scan of a paper original. Details get lost in that process. Get an original.
I've found a original manual on ebay and it arrived today here in Switzerland from the USA. It's in very good condition and is by far better than the reprints

Thank you all,

Peter