General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Copper A/C Heater Core Purchase Warning

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2014, 12:18 PM

Copper A/C Heater Core Purchase Warning

Just wanted to share some experiences ive had recently with three different vendors and their heater cores. While restoring a couple of systems for customers I was looking for copper heater cores. First, tried orielys because online it stated it was copper. Go to pick it up and its aluminum. Next tried rock auto. I asked for confirmation that it was indeed copper and the sales guy yes. Purchased two and aluminum ones showed up. Tried radiatorexpress.com and same thing. I would stay away from this so called company, they don't seem to want to get back to me about the return. Called them and if you choose customer service/returns, it states that all reps are helping other people right now and to wait. Then it just transfers you directly to voice mail. But if you choose sales, which I did on the second call, they answer right away. Somehow I don't think I will hearing from them any time soon to return this heater and by the way, it was the most expensive out of the three. Bought one yesterday from NPD and they assured me it is copper so we will see.
Old March 26th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Nop
2-stroke 1-cylinder guy

Originally Posted by banny
rock auto [...]. aluminum ones showed up.
Order the same one another time at RA - It'll be copper:

Old one, Rock Auto #1, Rock Auto #2

Worked for me

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2014-02-19_15-36-54_618.jpg (83.6 KB, 221 views)
Old March 26th, 2014, 07:48 PM

I guess I lucked out when i got one from Rockauto - it was copper, from vista-pro. However it was much lighter (as in one pound) than the original, so figure thinner material for less life...
Details and pics here:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post366965
Old March 26th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Administrator

I got mine local at the auto parts store and it was copper also.
Old March 26th, 2014, 08:30 PM

I guess maybe just really bad luck. But I was told that the manufacturers are starting to go with just aluminum and they ( orielys, rock auto, and radiatorexpress) need to update their product descriptions
Old March 27th, 2014, 05:04 PM

Is Alumi bad? I thought I read it was stronger than brass copper but It doesn't dissipate heat as well.
Old March 27th, 2014, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by jag1886
Is Alumi bad?
Exactly what I was thinking. Everyone likes aluminum radiators.

Originally Posted by jag1886
I thought I read it was stronger than brass copper but It doesn't dissipate heat as well.
Correct on the heat dissipation due to the different metals.

Aluminum radiators work better due to the greater strength of aluminum, allowing better manufacturing to give larger tubes and more fins. I wonder if the same is true for the heater cores?
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:46 AM

Copper dissipates heat best. Aluminum is next, then brass. I think most radiators are brass so going to aluminum is a better option. But going from copper heater core to aluminum is a down grade.
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:42 PM

Like I said, it's not just the ability of the material to conduct heat, it's the design of the heat exchanger that really matters. Aluminum makes good heat exchangers due to the ability to make larger tubes and a higher fin count while maintaining structural integrity.

In the heater core pics above, I count 16 rows on the aluminum core and 13 rows on the copper/brass cores. There's not enough resolution to make a fin-per-inch count but I can definitely see the aluminum fins are much closer than the copper/brass fins.

What I take away from this is the aluminum heater core likely has the same or better efficiency than the original copper/brass core, exactly the same as we see in radiators where the more efficient design offsets the reduced heat transfer capability of the material.

Last edited by Fun71; March 28th, 2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Nop
2-stroke 1-cylinder guy

Two words: Alloy and Electrolysis

http://www.ve-labs.net/electrolysis-101
Old April 15th, 2014, 12:16 AM

In my personal experience working in a place that manufactures radiators and heater cores, copper/brass is stronger than aluminum. I have literally caused a tube dent on an aluminum radiator from dropping a coin on it. Now I'm sure different companies may use different alloys that make make aluminum stronger than copper, but this is just what I've experienced.