Copper/Brass Heater Core are absolite

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2015, 11:30 PM

Copper/Brass Heater Core are absolite

I have a 68 442 (No Air) 455CID and i am trying to replace my heater core with the original type made of copper & brass but apparently a few years ago they went absolite and replaced by cheap aluminum ones. Those anybody know were I can find one? They must be some out there. I tried eBay but even when the picture shows copper once I ask they tell me that they are aluminum but just haven't updated the pictures.
Old May 6th, 2015, 03:18 AM

Your choice is either NOS or have your original recored by an old time radiator shop.
Old May 6th, 2015, 05:20 AM

I put and aluminum one in my 68 Cutlass with air about a year ago and have no problems. I too was skeptical about the cheesy aluminum one but I was real careful not to handle or tweek it any more than is absolutely nessary. Kinda nerve wracking with the final step, putting the hoses on but everything went well.Keep it filled with good clean coolant also.
Old May 6th, 2015, 07:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by W-27
I have a 68 442 (No Air) 455CID and i am trying to replace my heater core with the original type made of copper & brass but apparently a few years ago they went absolite and replaced by cheap aluminum ones.
So aluminum radiators are an upgrade, but aluminum heater cores are not?
Old May 6th, 2015, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
So aluminum radiators are an upgrade, but aluminum heater cores are not?
Joe, I just replaced the radiator 6 months ago and I did not use aluminum but went with a copper/brass ones made like the original ones by US Radiators (not cheap). I don't think aluminum is an upgrade but a down grade if anything.
Old May 6th, 2015, 08:20 AM

Depending on each core size the only upgrade with aluminum is weight and price.
Old May 6th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by biggus
Depending on each core size the only upgrade with aluminum is weight and price.
Aluminum also dissipates heat faster.
Old May 6th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Allan R
Aluminum also dissipates heat faster.
It has been scientifically proven that copper actually transfers heat better than aluminum.
However aluminum radiator will transfer heat better than copper radiator. Copper radiator is built with more narrower tubes due to weaker metal, has less airflow air flow through core and reduced surface contact between tubes and fins. Heat transfer ability is reduced due to lead/tin solder.
Old May 6th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Okee dokee. So in a nutshell you're suggesting there are advantages of aluminum over a copper/brass radiator due to metalurgy of copper/brass, right? I don't have any issues with guys using either type. I just keep mine to OEM because it's my choice. That said I have run into higher operating temps with my OEM radiator, but that could likely be due to sediment build up.

One thing I have noted (as others have also) the aluminum ones are much cheaper to buy. Another thing I've heard that's a turn off is the outlet size for the hoses aren't the right diameter for some applications and need adapters??
Old May 6th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Beer Connoisseur

When it comes to radiators the only advantage of a copper/brass is that vintage look.
Old May 6th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Gotcha. And I agree.
Old May 6th, 2015, 10:39 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Bias ply tires are obsolete, so is leaded gas, rubber electrical insulation, 6 volt electrical systems, and now it seems brass/copper radiators are going the same way. I'm pretty sure it is due to production costs rather than any other advantages in this case.

Roger.

Last edited by rustyroger; May 6th, 2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old May 6th, 2015, 10:42 AM

apparently a few years ago they went absolite
At first I thought "absolite" was a new metal alloy, but I couldn't find any information about it. Then I realized that he's trying to say "obsolete" and failing miserably.
Old May 6th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Aluminum is a stronger and lighter metal and naturally more resistant to corrosion.
Aluminum radiators are less expensive (unless you have to have a Be Cool, which is ridiculously overpriced), lighter weight, longer average life span, uniform heat transfer due to all aluminum core, built with wider tubes thanks to metal’s strength, built with fewer rows of tubes resulting in thinner radiator (thinner radiators have better air flow).

IMO there is more to it than just production cost.
Old May 6th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rustyroger
Bias ply tires are obsolete, so is leaded gas, rubber electrical insulation, 6 volt electrical systems, and now it seems aluminum radiators are going the same way.
??? Roger, I think you meant brass/copper??? Aluminum radiators are in no way obsolete.
Old May 6th, 2015, 11:18 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by 70cutty
Aluminum is a stronger and lighter metal and naturally more resistant to corrosion.
Aluminum radiators are less expensive (unless you have to have a Be Cool, which is ridiculously overpriced), lighter weight, longer average life span, uniform heat transfer due to all aluminum core, built with wider tubes thanks to metal’s strength, built with fewer rows of tubes resulting in thinner radiator (thinner radiators have better air flow).

IMO there is more to it than just production cost.
You're probably quite right, perhaps manufacturing technology has adavanced to the point where it is cost effective, the price of copper vs aluminum might be a factor too.

Originally Posted by Allan R
??? Roger, I think you meant brass/copper??? Aluminum radiators are in no way obsolete.
Yes I did, I've edited my post.

Roger.
Old May 6th, 2015, 01:02 PM

The problem with the aluminum heater cores is quality control. I bought two different ones earlier this year and both had the same issue: the tubes were not angled correctly so it looked as if they would not fit through the firewall, the 3/4" fitting was at the wrong angle so it would be nearly impossible to get the hose on, and the ends of the tubes were too close together to get the hoses on (and actually touching each other on one of the cores).

The catalog description for the heater cores in question said "copper/brass construction" but when they arrived they were aluminum. I called the tech line and was told they just recently moved manufacturing to China and switched to aluminum construction, yet there was a label on the box showing the core was manufactured in 2013 and it was clearly marked "Made in China".

IMG_14221_zpsf8ccddac.jpg

IMG_14291_zps48b3a8a0.jpg

IMG_14241_zps8f1e58f1.jpg

Last edited by Fun71; May 6th, 2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old May 6th, 2015, 03:04 PM

I had an original NOS heater core that was made in 1970 by Harrison.

When I compared it to the aftermarket aluminum version, there was no comparison. The Harrison was probably 50% heavier, and much better made.

The reason that this is important is the amount of labor to R&R a heater core, especially in a car with A/C.

You would not be happy to have to do it over due to poor quality.

Plus, some of the aftermarket cores do not have the restrictor in the inlet tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Heater Core restrictor.jpg (74.9 KB, 49 views)
Old May 6th, 2015, 03:26 PM

I have a 68 442 (No Air) 455CID and i am trying to replace my heater core with the original type made of copper & brass but apparently a few years ago they went absolite and replaced by cheap aluminum ones. Those anybody know were I can find one? They must be some out there. I tried eBay but even when the picture shows copper once I ask they tell me that they are aluminum but just haven't updated the pictures.
I bought mine 70 Cutlass copper/brass type from The Parts Place.
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:52 PM

I didn't realize the copper/brass heater cores were so scarce. I replaced mine (1970 442) last year. I got the heater core from a radiator shop. The owner said it came from a place in Cleveland. The quality did not seem any different than what came out of the car, which was the original one. I see a couple of vendors sell them listed for 68-70. Getting one wasn't a problem - getting it out was another story, but I eventually found that taking the inner fender out made the procedure a whole lot easier.
Old May 7th, 2015, 07:56 AM

The entire point of starting the thread was to find out if anybody knew were I could find a brass/copper heater core. As far as the aluminum one in the pictures that is clearly the incorrect one by far (the guy that boxed it must have had a "Hang over") but look at the tubes and tell me what you see wrong. We all know that the Chinese cannot reproduce anything faithfully with the same quality an original GM part was originally made. I have the inner fender off the car and the heater core is marked 3/90 by a company called US Part Radiator but made in Mexico and it is brass/copper (I did not leak prior to disassemble) one of the tubes was clearly bent to make it fit properly so only half of an opening for flow purposes. This is holding me up from finishing and therefore riding it with the top down. I figured somebody out there must have one. Just trying to stay as "original" as possible and I really don't trust any part made in China.
Old May 7th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Here's some possibly:
http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...ore-w-AC-1968/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...lass/year/1968
Old May 7th, 2015, 11:14 AM

Eric, thank you very much! Luckily, Heartbeatcitycamaro had one left over in brass/copper (HAC-1192) and I had them physically check to make sure it was copper/brass. Hopefully is the correct fit.
Old May 7th, 2015, 11:20 AM

The other issue with the brass/copper vs aluminum is that brass does not transfer heat very well but the copper does. The brass is needed for strength. I forget which part of the radiator is brass but it seemed to be too much of the radiator to transfer the heat as well as the aluminum. The design as mentioned also plays a role in the cooling. Also not sure where to get the copper/brass heater core.