General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Column Shift/ Gear Selector Play-How Much?

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2019, 07:59 AM

Arrow Column Shift/ Gear Selector Play-How Much?

Seeking some information in reference to a 3 Speed Column Shift Gear Selector. How much play (movement) should there be in any gear selection: (P-R-N-D)? All gear selections move to the appropriate selection no problem. However, are there specifications relating to the selector being 'locked' tight or, again some play and how much?

Does the shift linkage insulator bushing and/or spring factor into the movement of the gear selector? All responses are appreciated.

Old May 20th, 2019, 11:35 AM

Arrow

* Actually, a picture of the area which seems to be the focal point. Does anyone have any expertise in this area as to 'adjustment'?

Old May 21st, 2019, 01:42 AM

Pretty simple, follow the directions outlined in the manual. Make sure all the plastic bushings on the transmission and column shift linkage are in place and in good condition. Won out bushings there will make adjusting the shifter needle difficult. Pretty sure the bushings are available through Dorman or in the Help section at the parts stores
Old May 21st, 2019, 03:33 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Pretty simple, follow the directions outlined in the manual. Make sure all the plastic bushings on the transmission and column shift linkage are in place and in good condition. Won out bushings there will make adjusting the shifter needle difficult. Pretty sure the bushings are available through Dorman or in the Help section at the parts stores
Thanks much. There is not much in the Oldsmobile manual other than the picture I posted. I'm not really big on Dorman. I recently purchased an oil drain plug (discontinued) from a GM dealer for my vehicle. I've used Dorman before whereby their oil drain plugs are not hardened, rather heat treated. The Dorman threads are not as good as the O.E.M. drain plugs. I know of this from prior experience. In the same respect, I just purchased GM 01377083 SHIFT CONTROL LINKAGE BUSHING INSULATOR from a dealer whereas that part was also discontinued. Sometimes, the parts locator can determine what dealers still have for a 'discontinued' part.

* Basically, I'm trying to acquire information as to play (slop) in the indicator positions. All gear selector positions are where they should be (P-R-N-D-2-1). If the selector is any of the aforesaid positions, how much play should there be? I do not believe there are any bushings on the column itself, rather seals which are fine. The 'lock' mechanism works perfectly fine; no bearing here at all. For instance, if I have the gear selector in (D), how much movement (right or left) should there be, if any?

As to the picture posted denoting the column cable, is this facet at all relevant as to having any play (unclear to me via manual)? I'm also trying to purchase GM 10236109 TRANSMISSION GEAR SELECTOR ROD SPRING to accompany the bushing. Would the gear selector rod spring also factor into the equation?

Last edited by synoptic12; May 21st, 2019 at 03:36 AM.
Old May 21st, 2019, 03:54 AM

Arrow

I'm also looking at the shim and/or spring in the shift lever as a possibility.

Below is a picture of the 'tilt' steering column in my Olds. * No offense, but this is not 'Pretty Simple'.

Last edited by synoptic12; May 21st, 2019 at 04:13 AM.
Old May 21st, 2019, 04:04 AM

Arrow

For purposes of illustration, this is a 'hardened' oil drain plug (bolt). The marking circled in white denotes this fact. Metal washer as well, not plastic that Dorman provides.

Old May 21st, 2019, 09:02 AM

The spring in the column is there to provide some persuasion for the shifter to drop into the gate. Assuming you feel some tension, maybe the grease used in assembly has hardened after almost 40 years? If you pull the shift lever towards you, it should snap into position with some authority. I assume that’s what you mean by left to right movement?