General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

71 Cutlass Supreme Starting/Column Linkage

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2018, 02:55 PM

71 Cutlass Supreme Starting/Column Linkage

Wondering if anyone can provide me any guidance. I have a 71 cutlass supreme. Recently I've had some difficulty with starting the car. I have to manually move the column all the way to the left and put the counsel shift to neutral in order for it to start.

I have attempted to adjust the linkage at both the trans and at the counsel and column connection, but no success. (I believe the car was set up at the factory for either option).

I just dropped the trans due to a leak.

I've got about a quarter inch of play at the linkage directly attached to the column. See pic.

Thinking this is now an issue in the column itself. Something not letting the column move back all the way. Planning on reinstalling the trans and all the linkages and seeing if that takes care of it, but I am thinking its in the column.

Asking for anyone's insight, input or expertise.

Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4926.JPG (654.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_4924.JPG (1.99 MB, 12 views)
Old February 28th, 2018, 03:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Verify that the plastic bushings in the backdrive linkage are in good shape. The quarter inch of play is exactly the problem. Find the source of this play and repair it. The backdrive linkage is adjusted at the bottom of the rod that runs down from the steering column arm.