General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1960 Ninety Eight Spindle Nut

Old February 29th, 2012, 09:39 AM

1960 Ninety Eight Spindle Nut

Not sure if this is exactly where to post this buuuuut:

I'm working on restoring this 1960 Ninety Eight, and in doing some work to the left front hub, I lost all the threads on one of the spindle nuts. I've tried some websites, few dealerships and fastenal to no avail. I have one good one to match it to and still I'm stuck. I'm looking for the right direction to go in, any suggestions or advice are hugely appreciated. I need to roll this thing from the spot it is in ASAP!
Old February 29th, 2012, 03:10 PM

You know the drivers side nut is a REVERSED thread. How did you lose all the threads on the nut? This should be an easy part at any junkyard and multiple '50's - 60's Olds should be the same
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:08 AM

Yeah, that's embarassing. I didn't know it was reverse thread and like a moron I used an impact on it. Got a matched nut but the spindle threads aren't in as good of shape as I thought. Guess I'll either have to replace the spindle/hub or maybe try and have it machined. Thanks for the reply though.