General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2012, 05:36 PM

Exhaust Question

i got a 72 cutlass with a 350 rocket motor thinking about exhaust i wanna go flow masters but dont which ones i should get some people say 2 chambers then i hear four chambers which ones would be good i want a nice strong loud sound not super loud but i wanna hear those pipes when i get on the gas and suggestions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
motor2.jpg (42.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by 72cutlassolds; March 1st, 2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old March 1st, 2012, 06:34 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by 72cutlassolds
i got a 72 cutlass with a 350 rocket motor thinking about exhaust i wanna go flow masters but dont which ones i should get some people say 2 chambers then i hear four chambers which ones would be good i want a nice strong loud sound not super loud but i wanna hear those pipes when i get on the gas and suggestions
Good question. I've got 71 442 with 455. Not to that point yet but I was wondering the same thing. Can't wait for some responses!
AL
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Just curious, what's wrong with the Olds rumble from a stock 350? I plugged my crossover and ran duals. The exhaust has a really nice rumble that only an Olds can give. I've heard the 2 chamber FM's and they don't sound all that much different from stock. Only thing they have better is they are stainless or aluminized stainless with a lifetime guarantee.

If you really want an aggressive sound, check out the super 10 series from magnaflow. Follow this link and scroll down to the 409S stainless. They demo the exhaust in a chevelle. Might be the sound you're looking for?

Then again the super 40 2 chamber might be 'it'. (demo'd on 69 camaro)

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/index.php?cat=1

One thing I found when I experimented with louder mufflers before? It was cool at idle and revs. Really cool on burnouts. But at constant highway speeds or city speeds? The drone got really annoying.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 10:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Flowmasters consistently are the worst-flowing "performance" mufflers in published tests. How they manage to do that while maintaining the obnoxious sound and highway droning remains a mystery. In order of preference, I'd use Walker Dynomax and Magnaflow.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 10:39 AM

I'm with Joe [and others] I have a set of [no] Flowmasters on my 69 drop top and I hate them. I've got the Magnaflow on another car and am very pleased.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 10:53 AM

What about the factory exhaust setup from ILT??

Al, is that the one you're referring to?? Any videos/recordings of the setup??
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:01 AM
"Car"mudgeon

X3 Had a set of SlowMasters on my step-side and after the first long trip with the better half they were off and a set of Dynomax went on.

http://www.dynomax.com/index.php
Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:04 PM
70 Cutlass SX

I just bought the factory dual setup from InLineTube (455 stock build), but the car is not put together yet. I would be interested in any thoughts on those. I am hoping for a nice quiet factory sound.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:23 PM

Just to throw a rock out there,

If you have a 350 4bbl olds with dual exhaust, please post a video of it running.
It'd be nice to hear the difference.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:57 PM
Ben

Flowmaster 50's are a little bit more mellow, with less/no drone when compared to the 40's. In general like the sound of the 50's (some friends have them) but i still dislike the Tinny sound inherit with that design of mufflers (hollow with deflectors).

I would vote for either Dynomax super turbos or Ultra flows with long 18" muffler cases.

Remember, the larger the case, the quieter it will be.

Also to consider when listening to sound clips on the internet... Compression, Camshaft, headers/manifolds, exhaust tubing size, and muffler case size all affect the sound produced...

So just because something sounds good on the internet, without knowing those other specs of the car in the clip- it doesn't mean it will sound the same on YOUR car.