General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

AM FM Radio Application?

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:47 AM

AM FM Radio Application?

Hey guys,

I recently picked up this radio/amp setup but am unsure as to it's original application. The AM/FM radio in my '70 Supreme is a bit different. This one has "OLDSMOBILE" on the slide bar and both sets of frequency numbers displayed. The other one is a plain slide bar in which the frequencies are displayed based on the band selected.

Year and model of car the pictured radio applies to?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:58 AM

Am fm application

The radio I removed from my 70 is in the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1280321.JPG (170.3 KB, 44 views)
Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by 1970supremevert
The radio I removed from my 70 is in the picture
The radio in your picture is the same in my '70 Supreme.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:18 AM

other pics

I just noticed the radio you have has other differences , the heat sink on mine is on the left
Attached Images
P1280326.JPG (144.1 KB, 34 views)
P1280325.JPG (152.2 KB, 33 views)
P1280324.JPG (149.1 KB, 34 views)
P1280322.JPG (159.5 KB, 38 views)
P1280323.JPG (153.9 KB, 94 views)
Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:39 PM
Randy C.

With the heat sink on the right side, I believe that's a B or C body AM-FM stereo radio. The big dials on each side look like they are from a '69 but the small dials on each side look like they are from a '70.

If your radio still has the tag on it, show or tell us what it is and that will help further define what the radio belongs to.

Randy C.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
With the heat sink on the right side, I believe that's a B or C body AM-FM stereo radio. The big dials on each side look like they are from a '69 but the small dials on each side look like they are from a '70.

If your radio still has the tag on it, show or tell us what it is and that will help further define what the radio belongs to.

Randy C.
I agree with Randy, it is from a full-size car, could be anywhere from '67 to '70, who knows IF the ***** were changed over the years. Personally I just went through loads of 'fun' with deciphering radios and related to fit into my own car. Ended up being a mix-match, but the repair person got the unit to work just fine. The tag will be the tell tale as I learned, if that is missing, apparently the number can be found on one of the boards by lifting off either the top or bottom covers.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5

Randy C.
Unfortunately, no tags remain on the outside of the units; they were the first thing I looked for before creating this thread. I guess I can take the cover off to inspect the inside board for details.

I believe you and Vistabrat72 are right on about this setup is applicable to a full size car. Hopefully, a Toronado or other full size car owner will chime in. Thanks.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:01 PM
Randy C.

I've got a set-up just like yours for a '69. It looks identical to yours except for the *****. It's from a B body.

Randy C.
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:22 AM

the multi plex is 70 a body, 69 up are easy to ID
your tag says ..03AFM1
0=70
3=Olds
A=a-body
FM1 is the code for am am/fm multiplex
I looked it up in my radio book and it says 70 F-85 stereo adapter

the radio would have something like 03AFMPB2

usually if the heat sink is on the side, most of the time its big car, most of the time if its on tha back small car, it has to do with space under the dash
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

Originally Posted by marxjunk
the multi plex is 70 a body, 69 up are easy to ID
your tag says ..03AFM1
So, the radio pictured in the 2nd post is called a "multi plex"? Is there such a thing as a "deluxe" radio?
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:28 AM
morgan

Originally Posted by stlbluesbrother
Thanks for all the replies.

So, the radio pictured in the 2nd post is called a "multi plex"? Is there such a thing as a "deluxe" radio?
The 'deluxe' radio is the basic AM radio.
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by marxjunk
the multi plex is 70 a body...
Originally Posted by stlbluesbrother
So, the radio pictured in the 2nd post is called a "multi plex"?
No. That's not what he was saying.

The picture shows two items, a radio (the kids today would call it a "control head,") and a multiplexer.

The radio is the thing with ***** and a dial on it.
The multiplexer is a thing with nothing but a heat sink and a cable, with the label that says "O3AFM1."

You must not be old enough to recall the transition from HiFi to Stereo.
Back in the fifties, High Fidelity sound systems were created which could reproduce the full range of audible sound fairly accurately (listen to an old freestanding AM radio from the thirties, or a Victrola to see what people heard before the age of HiFi). This coincided with the introduction of the Long Playing record and the FM radio (an offshoot of WWII technology), which could transmit much more clearly than AM.
If you were educated, and had a few bucks, you would probably have a HiFi set, comprised of an FM tuner, an amplifier, a turntable, a speaker, and some Bartok, Ravel, and Coltrane records.
Note that HiFi was a monaural system: One channel, one speaker.

In the mid-fifties, they came out with the next new thing: Stereo.
Sound was divided into two channels, and, when played, gave the illusion that the different instruments in the orchestra were in their correct places in the room. Heck, even Mitch Miller sounded better.
If you wanted to upgrade your current HiFi set, or, for the first few years, if you wanted stereo at all, you had to buy a multiplexer, which connected between the tuner and the amplifier, and divided the FM signal into the two stereo channels.

Flash forward to the sixties. Automotive sound technology tends to lag home sound technology (how many cars come from the factory with Dolby 7.1 today?), so cars did not get stereo sound options until about 1966-68. Initially, the technology did not allow all of the components necessary for stereo sound to fit inside of one radio-sized box, so the multiplexer for the stereo was located away from the actual radio. By the time 1970 rolled around, they had pretty much gotten that issue beat, and stereo radios were all one piece from most manufacturers (European cars, with smaller dashboards, using the still-standard DIN size format, had to use separate components for a bit longer).

Got it?

- Eric