General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Question about application numbers

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Question about application numbers

Hi All
I've seen posts where someone is asking for a starter, alternator or distributor with a specific number for their restoration. Can anybody point me toward a reference to this kind of information? Unless I stumble upon a number in an ebay ad (and assume it's correct) I haven't found a source for these numbers. John
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Randy C.

Hi John, I'd say the best way to get the right part number is to study an assembly manual and a chassis service manual. Understand how they are laid out (they're nearly the same), what is where in the manuals, and so forth. Part numbers are listed in the assembly manuals for most items. For some items, it takes more research but you eventually get to the right part number. Those books really helped me when we were doing the restoration on the '68. I know we talked about date codes, too, and there are several ways that date codes are set up. A good book I bought that talks about certain casting numbers and stamping codes is Supercars Unlimited "442 By The Numbers". They are in Portland and their web site is www.supercarsunlimited.com. I could ramble on and on about what I have learned but it would hardly scratch the surface. Best to meet again sometime face-to-face and talk about it! Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1968Olds442front.jpg (44.2 KB, 4 views)
Olds68442conv2.jpg (48.8 KB, 5 views)
Olds68442conv6.jpg (69.8 KB, 8 views)
Olds68442conv7.jpg (25.8 KB, 5 views)
Old November 26th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Trying to remember member

X2
Furthermore, it depend what your goals are. In the cases of distributors, carbs, alternator, starters, etc., the "number" is stamped on the case. The cases are common to many different applications, thus have numbers that signify particular internals and set-ups. So you can have 3 possible scenarios for your particular application:
1. Correct numbers with correct internals
2. Correct numbers with incorrect internals.
3. Incorrect numbers with correct internals.
Unfortunately, there is a *lot* of "number matching" out there without any regard to whether the internals are correct. This is a cosmetic thing that makes no sense and results in getting a #2 part.
If you are interested in getting the "right" part for your car and are not concerned about the number matching (which was what 99.9% of us did back in the day), just make sure you are getting the right internals. You can accomplish that now by using a correct core (basic core regardless of number) and having it rebuilt.
And if you are after #1, it is best to find a correctly numbered core and have that rebuilt to correct specifications. There is a good chance that if you find a correct numbered part, it may not even have the correct internals.
Old November 26th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Hi John, I'd say the best way to get the right part number is to study an assembly manual and a chassis service manual.
You'll probably need a factory parts book as well. If you decide to buy one, pay careful attention to the printing date. As parts dropped out of the system or were superseded, only the new part numbers were listed. For example there is a factory parts book that is frequently offered on ebay that claims to cover 1965-1975. Unfortunately, this version was printed in August 1983 and is essentially worthless for information pertaining to the 1972-earlier cars. For example, the only BBO head castings listed in this version are J and K heads. The K heads superseded all high perf applications and the J heads superseded everything else. That doesn't make them correct.
Old November 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM

Thank you for your thoughts guys. What started this for me is that I've been collecting parts for years and have quite a pile of parts, including starters/alternators/distributors, etc. None of my project cars have all of the original drivetrain so I'm not going to be going for every bolt with a correct headstamp. On the other hand if I have a 1970 442 alternator in my parts pile I'd like to keep it with my project car and try to make it as close as possible to original. Once I identify what I need for my projects I'd like to sell/trade the rest. It would be easier to dispose of the spare parts if I knew the original application. So thank you again for your help, I'll start looking for the references you all mentioned. John
Old November 28th, 2009, 08:16 AM

Reference Books

Hey Guys
I have the book "by the numbers" from Supercarsunlimited but I also have come up with one like this link on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/442-C...item53de4bbfeb

I believe the one from Supercars is reliable, but does anyone have experience with the book from Robert Sexton? Do you have an opinion on the confidence level of the information in it? His book does have part numbers for a lot of items in it. John
Old November 28th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Randy C.

I don't have any knowledge or opinion about that book. I've purchased a few other books, such as Motorbooks "Oldsmobile 4-4-2 and W-Machines Restoration Guide", "4-4-2 Volume II A Source Book" by Paul North, and the "Illustrated Facts & Features Manual" books for my cars, but, in the end, I'm always back into the Assembly Manual and Chassis Service Manual for the car I'm dealing with.