General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Wont sell to Canada WTH ??????

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Administrator

I think Ebay is an irritating venue to start with for many reasons. I also can understand this sellers viewpoint, he certainly has an attitude problem and probably ought to get off for a while and readjust.
Old March 25th, 2013, 07:36 AM

I agree about ebay, but I look at it as a necessary evil. There's few other ways that I know of to reach as wide an audience as quickly, and they DO now have safeguards built in to protect both buyers and sellers that have gotten better over the years. For every person who distrusts ebay, there's about 10 who distrust craigslist, so craigslist, while it's free, isn't necessarily a better choice.
Old March 25th, 2013, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by sammy
Wow, do we suck!
There are headaches associated with dealing with ANY country, buyer,seller what have you.
That said, I do not think that it is correct to exclude a group of people based on the actions of a few.
I have never had a bad personal experience with anyone from Canada and I hope the same is said of me, but in matters of business.......let Michael explain.

Old March 25th, 2013, 07:38 AM

Who cares? If the seller refuses to ship to Canada, Nigeria, or Iran, that is his choice. Put a wanted ad up. Please get a life and move on
Old March 25th, 2013, 07:46 AM

ok, great so now we go from Canadian's to Italians. Great, thanks a lot. Do me a favor, if I ever buy a car from you take the bodies and the guns out of the trunk, just leave the canoli's!

Old March 25th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Craigslist is worse, you have to deal with the bot's. Most emails are bogus and fishing scams. Then you have the car thieves that try to lowball everything. I have had better luck selling the run of the mill car on craigslist, and the more obscure on ebay.

I am very blunt, but nice to people who call and lowball. I just tell them straight up that this is not the car for them. I think people still have eyes bigger than there checking accounts. But hey, if you don't ask...
Old March 25th, 2013, 07:55 AM
morgan

If the guy doesn't want to sell to Canada...so what?? if you are Canadian and INTERESTED in the car email him or call him up and talk to him about it...if your not interested in the car anyway, what do you care
Old March 25th, 2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by pogo69
If the guy doesn't want to sell to Canada...so what?? if you are Canadian and INTERESTED in the car email him or call him up and talk to him about it...if your not interested in the car anyway, what do you care
That's what I was thinking. If he doesn't want the hassle of selling to Canada,that's his choice. Not that selling to Canada is a hassle but he seems to think it is. If I were Canadian and wanted the car,I would contact the guy and work something out. The easiest way to ship to Canada is drop it off @ the border and let the buyer pick it up.
Old March 25th, 2013, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by mike77
i wouldn't sell to those canadian's either. They are kinda shady and their money looks funny!! Eh!

Mike

Know that's funny
Old March 25th, 2013, 09:21 AM

sounds like you need a connection on the other side of the border wes, i say buy it, looks like a sweet car. except it seems to be missing a clutch pedal, heh heh
Old March 25th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by coldwar
I have never had a bad personal experience with anyone from Canada and I hope the same is said of me, but in matters of business.......let Michael explain.

It's Strictly Business - The Godfather (2/9) Movie CLIP (1972) HD - YouTube
Point taken.....I guess it shook me a bit because it is the first time I have ever seen somebody be that negative about Canadians...business or otherwise....
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by sammy
Wow, do we suck!
There are headaches associated with dealing with ANY country, buyer,seller what have you.
That said, I do not think that it is correct to exclude a group of people based on the actions of a few.
A while back I was trying to figure out how to restrict buyers from Joisey and NYC area. I've had more problems with them than Canadians.
Old March 25th, 2013, 08:05 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Wes:
I bet if you showed up in his shop with a wad of hundred dollar bills he would sell it to you. It is cold up there in Regina - take a trip down south, drive the car back. Could you do that - arrange insurance etc. and just show up at the boarder?

It does look nice. Almost too nice for a barn find, at no reserve.
I wonder about sellers who say they know nothing about what they are selling, then proceed to tell you what they think it is. Is saying they know nothing sort of like a get-out-of-jail-free card?

Peter
Old March 26th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I have had my share of headaches as a seller selling and shipping to Canada over 1100 sales over 11 years, with currently 1400 100% positive feedback. Canada buyers are appreciative and understanding
Unfortunately there's not as large a supply market for used OEM and aftermarket parts in Canada so I'm forced to shop elsewhere for them. I really do appreciate the US sellers who make efforts to ship to Canada. On several occasions where I was excluded by ebay processes I contacted the seller directly and explained / justified my desire to bid/pay and not get huffy over shipping. They allowed me to bid by unblocking me from the process. Not sure how they did that, but let's say the experience worked out for both of us with +++++ benefits for both sides.

I've learned that having friends in the US to bid on my behalf for sales which exclude Canada is invaluable. It allows me to get what I want and still meets the sellers criteria of selling to only the lower 48. The benefits outweigh the shipping costs. Ex: my Sonata needed a new visor. Here it costs 130.00+tax. In the US it's 35.00+shipping. Even with redirected (extra) shipping through a US buyer I got the part for less than 70.00 which is 1/2 what I would have paid locally.

Some buyers want to hold any US seller accountable for the high cost of shipping items over more or less two pounds even when the item is shipped at cost as clearly seen on the four pages of paperwork. I have had positive feedback left from buyers in Canada, then all one star ratings.
You have my support! Anyone who doesn't investigate the high cost of shipping prior to bidding deserves what they contract for. One thing that really frustrates me is this 'Worldwide Saver' shipping. A box that would ship for say 18.00 using Priority small box costs over 120.00 using the 'saver' plan. I ALWAYS ask any seller who uses the 'saver' plan if I can have the product sent via small/med intl shipping first. If that's not an option I know I have to pony up for the 'Priority mail' ride or not bid because of that stupid shipping method offered. I'm fully aware that it's beyond most shipper's ability to control. That leaves the ball in my court to follow through on if I want the part.

re: high cost of shipping. If the seller quotes say 40.00 to ship and it arrives with 40.00 or close on the shipping lable? I'm good with that. What I'm NOT good with is charging 40.00 for shipping and finding a 15.00 shipping lable. I always ask the seller for an explanation first. In most cases it's resolved quickly and easily as a refund on shipping price. I've only had to use the dispute resolution process 2X out of over 400 purchases for over billing. I appreciate shippers who also state they will charge a XX handling and packaging fee. Those who say they only charge shipping cost and then overcharge deserve what they get in return. I also ship to the US using my Venture One small business privelege. It saves me money, and I pass that on to the buyers as lower shipping cost. I don't charge for packing or driving or waiting in line either. My quotes are exact and include insurance only if the buyer wants it. They can also specify HOW they want it shipped; mail or courier and I'll find them the best available rate. Always let them know what it is first though before processing it further. Far as I'm concerned that's part of the big picture.

As far as ratings, I give full stars for everything that is within the sellers ability to deliver. And if they quote 70.00 to ship and it arrives with 70.00 shipping lable? They get FULL stars for meeting the requirements of being honest with shipping costs. I think this process most people use for shipping evaluation is personal rather than global.

Yankee hating axe grinders are welcome to shop elsewhere as I formerly and currently don't want the headache. US Postal Service and Canada Post have a specific, detailed reciprocal agreement which is completely out of any US sellers control.
Unfortunately there are a few of them who adversely stereotype the rest of us who are not in the same category. There are also a few sellers who have similarly stereotyped Canadians. I've run into a few of them on the web and it's not pleasant.

I have a good understanding of the postal relationships and cross border courier methods/charges/fees. Wish I could say everyone does, but that's not the case. I also want to stress that once the package leaves the buyers hands, it's really a crap shoot on WHEN it will get here and what extra fees customs will attach (if any).

On a positive note, THANK YOU to ALL the US sellers who continue to do business with Canada in spite of adversity in the markets, shipping and clients.
Old March 29th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Here is a cut & paste of the reply I got from him a couple days ago when I enquired about his brilliant marketing strategy.

Dear oldsmobiledave,

Out of over 300 cars sold I have sent 22 cars to Canada That leaves 278 cars sent everywhere else not one complaint. All 22 people that bought from Canada complained and knit picked. Seems like everyone up there expects a 40 year old car to be a new car??? Just tired of hearing the complaints. The only negative feed backs I have ever had cane from Canada.
Wow-must me like hours racing here.

- ams322

Old March 29th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Wont work were too old. Not enough time anyway, Should have thought abbout it in our 20"S with a girl on one arm, a drink and smoke in the other deciding of we were going A1A N or A1A S. Didn't mater did it.
Happy Egg Day Guys!!!!
AL
Old March 29th, 2013, 07:28 PM

Dear oldsmobiledave,

Out of over 300 cars sold I have sent 22 cars to Canada That leaves 278 cars sent everywhere else not one complaint. All 22 people that bought from Canada complained and knit picked. Seems like everyone up there expects a 40 year old car to be a new car??? Just tired of hearing the complaints. The only negative feed backs I have ever had cane from Canada.

- ams322
That's not what his feedback indicates - I am seeing two negs; one from Canada and one from US.

Neg from US buyer Aug 2007: http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/jrsm1965

And a neutral from US buyer Oct 2008: http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/mpd5m

Likely he has another account but that doesn't explain the neg (and neutral) from a US buyer if he's saying 'only negatives came from Canada'.