General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Wont sell to Canada WTH ??????

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2013, 05:18 AM
Getting There

Wont sell to Canada WTH ??????

I was looking at this till i was reading through it ..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/442-S...t_17311wt_1182

exactly what I'm looking for too

maybe us canuckle heads are to good for him lol
Old March 23rd, 2013, 05:30 AM

it probly has to do with customs,you know anyone here to buy it for you and then ship?
Old March 23rd, 2013, 05:35 AM

reply from seller

Here is a cut & paste of the reply I got from him a couple days ago when I enquired about his brilliant marketing strategy.

Dear oldsmobiledave,

Out of over 300 cars sold I have sent 22 cars to Canada That leaves 278 cars sent everywhere else not one complaint. All 22 people that bought from Canada complained and knit picked. Seems like everyone up there expects a 40 year old car to be a new car??? Just tired of hearing the complaints. The only negative feed backs I have ever had cane from Canada. Sorry

- ams322

Old March 23rd, 2013, 05:39 AM

well if its true i dont blame him.but one the other hand i guess he dosnt like money.there are more out there just dont be in a rush to find a good one.,
Old March 23rd, 2013, 05:49 AM

i looked at his feed back not hard theres only 7 pages.and there are not 22 bad ratings in there.id like to see all the complants about cars that someone came to look at and said NO WAY its a heap
Old March 23rd, 2013, 05:56 AM
Getting There

the car actually reminds me of your old 66 dave..

I will keep looking

i have my eye on a 67 turnpike post coupe as well
its almost spring so I'm looking harder now lol

oh wait.... nm its still snowing

Last edited by Ranzan; March 23rd, 2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:08 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Here is a cut & paste of the reply I got from him a couple days ago when I enquired about his brilliant marketing strategy.

Dear oldsmobiledave,

Out of over 300 cars sold I have sent 22 cars to Canada That leaves 278 cars sent everywhere else not one complaint. All 22 people that bought from Canada complained and knit picked. Seems like everyone up there expects a 40 year old car to be a new car??? Just tired of hearing the complaints. The only negative feed backs I have ever had cane from Canada. Sorry

- ams322

On a positive note, at least he knows we exist
Yup, great marketing strategy....single out an entire country and refuse to sell to them ...
That kind of crap really bothers me....Love to know what the complaints were...flat tire, no oil, or smaller things like clear title.

Ted
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:24 AM
morgan

He apparently does not like Canadians...must be one of those coins that shows up in his lose change that he can't use in a vending machine.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:38 AM
Administrator

He has the unalienable right to be both stupid and selective.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:04 AM

^ that's funny, but you have to admit the guy is honest. Where I come from that front bumper is almost mint. Look at the interior pictures - could have been very easy to hide that dashboard crack. Seems like a bargain at the price it is at now - who knows what it will go for but he's right, that is one nice looking driver that an be fixed up as you enjoy it. If this was BJ or most other nuts on ebay it would be listed as "Rare 442 barn find with documentation, all original untouched, should be in a museum, worth 30 times starting bid but can be yours for half that, Still has dust in cracks from hay, original air in glove box (hasn't been opened in 30 plus years), highly desirable and very rare color combination, even has original rust on undercarriage."
Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:31 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Ya, real honest....denying me the right to purchase a car because I am Canadian! If someone puts these type of general comments out into the market place , he should back it up with specific examples/facts!
Talk about stripping me of my individual rights....wow
Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:51 AM
Administrator

You'll only end up complaining about it...LOL. You can always contact him and see if he would make an exception. The thing about rules is they are always subject to change.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:04 AM

Nice car but far from original. Two things I noticed is the TH400 trans and that toggle switch under the dash with a light.
I'm not downplaying the car because I think it's gorgeous and I feel the TH400 is an upgrade over the two speed. Someone will enjoy it.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:07 AM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Not a smart business man. If you ARE going to profile buyers by country at least don't frikkin advertise it!
By the way, what if it was an ethnic thing? Won't sell to ____ because they always complain... , or tall people cuz they don't look good in our convertibles. People would be on his doorstep ready to lynch.

I have a low tolerance for stupid people.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:26 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by sammy
Ya, real honest....denying me the right to purchase a car because I am Canadian! If someone puts these type of general comments out into the market place , he should back it up with specific examples/facts!
Talk about stripping me of my individual rights....wow
But you're not complaining... right?

- Eric
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
Not a smart business man. If you ARE going to profile buyers by country at least do it to France!
Fixed it
Old March 23rd, 2013, 01:21 PM
Getting There

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Fixed it
Hahaha
Old March 23rd, 2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ranzan
I was looking at this till i was reading through it ..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/442-S...t_17311wt_1182

exactly what I'm looking for too

maybe us canuckle heads are to good for him lol
Maybe this JERK got caught in some shady practices by sharp eyed Canuks and not used to being held to accountability...lmao
Old March 23rd, 2013, 01:55 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

What an idiot. Our economy is booming, there are people in Alberta and Saskatchewan with the $$$ to spend. I wish I was one of them. Wages have gone up here, finally. I will have as many hours as I can stand this year.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 02:19 PM

I don't blame the guy,the last car I sold to Canadian,I'm still answering questions,sending parts and info. Really I am and that was 4 years ago. Just kidding,I did sell a car to one of my buds in Canada and he's doing a very nice job with it.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 02:53 PM

Canadians are crazy anyway. The last guy I sold a hood to drove like 8-10 hours to pick it up!!
Old March 23rd, 2013, 04:36 PM

Put in a bid he can't refuse and see how unwilling he is to sell to a Canadian.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:02 PM

I've purchased parts for Allan from sellers who don't want to ship over the border a few times. But purchasing a whole car would be a little more complicated I still have the black 1967 hardtop that wouldn't take much to make into a driver. But the post car I have will need to be a labor of love to revive. Wes, if you find anything in my part of the world I'd be glad to check it out for you. I've not seen any post cars for sale but I have seen some interesting 66-67 hardtops now and then.

John
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I've purchased parts for Allan from sellers who don't want to ship over the border a few times. But purchasing a whole car would be a little more complicated
But getting the car across the border isn't the issue. If I'm a U.S. seller and a Canadian (or anyone else) buys the car, as long as I've been paid, it's up to the buyer to get the car across the border. It's not my problem.

What the seller in this ebay auction is complaining about and the reason he gives for not wanting to sell to Canadians is that, as he says, all of the negative feedback he's gotten for the cars he's sold has been from Canadian buyers. He's trying to avoid the negative feedback, not the complications of shipping across the border, by not selling to Canadians.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
But getting the car across the border isn't the issue. If I'm a U.S. seller and a Canadian (or anyone else) buys the car, as long as I've been paid, it's up to the buyer to get the car across the border. It's not my problem.

What the seller in this ebay auction is complaining about and the reason he gives for not wanting to sell to Canadians is that, as he says, all of the negative feedback he's gotten for the cars he's sold has been from Canadian buyers. He's trying to avoid the negative feedback, not the complications of shipping across the border, by not selling to Canadians.
I understand. The complication I was thinking of is if Wes sent one of us the money and we bought the car for him!

"Sure... send me 10 grand and I'll gladly buy the car for you. Just hope I remember to ship it to you rather than keep it for myself "
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:33 PM

If you could ignore the extra doors my gramma car has a post

P1010999.jpg
Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:16 PM

I wouldn't sell to those Canadian's either. They are kinda shady and their money looks funny!! Eh!

Mike
Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I've purchased parts for Allan from sellers who don't want to ship over the border a few times.
And you can't begin to know how much I've appreciated that kindness. No, I wouldn't ask you to buy a car for me, but on occasion I've asked your opinions on some I was seriously interested in. Thank you for going the distance you don't have to for a Canadian member of C.O. Folks like you more than make up for the ones who aren't friendly.
Old March 24th, 2013, 06:08 AM

Did anyone notice?

On Mar-23-13 at 20:16:31 PDT, seller added the following information:
We have in our ad that we do not sell to Canada... This is due to it takes so long for shipping and we get a lot of complaints that is out of our control. But obviously no one has read our ad and we constantly are getting Canadian bids???? So here is how it is I don't care where you are from if you have FULL intentions of paying for this car with NO complaints BID AWAY... IF NOT RETRACT NOW AND GO AWAY WE ARE SERIOUS ABOUT SELLING THIS CAR NO GAMES!!!!
Old March 24th, 2013, 06:18 AM

Wow
Old March 24th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by killer501872000
Wow
+ 1. Alrighty then.
Old March 24th, 2013, 06:50 AM

So what if you are Canadian but now live in Mexico, will he sell it to you then? I get that you have the choice and sometimes need to make business decisions for the better of your company but to word things the way he does is most likely turning more people away than attracting. Saying that for those interested in this car it may be a good reason to bid as I bet he's scaring a bunch of folks away.
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:40 AM

So what if you are Canadian but now live in Mexico, will he sell it to you then?
I don't think he'll be asking for your citizenship. He doesn't want to sell to people who live IN Canada.
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:50 AM

His new policy is a step up. At least he's willing to take bids from Canada now. You can hate HIM all you want, but you're not buying him, you're buying his car. If you want it, go for it.

I can sympathize with one aspect of his plight. I've sold numerous things on ebay, and you are allowed to list the areas of the world that you will and won't ship to. When I've sold electronics, for example, I've always put that I will only sell to North America because of the problems associated with overseas shipping. It can be expensive, it's usually not trackable, in some areas of the world, mail theft is not uncommon even by local postal workers, and it can be difficult or impossible to deal with foreign post offices if the item is damaged or lost, even if you have paid for insurance.

The problem is that there is no enforcement mechanism within ebay for this. You can SAY all you want that you won't ship to, say, Africa, where problems like the above can be rampant, but that doesn't prevent people from there from bidding anyway. Nothing in the ebay system stops them from doing so. I warn the bidder that their bid will be cancelled and that they should retract it, but they never do, so I end up doing it.
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:08 AM

I don't think he'll be asking for your citizenship. He doesn't want to sell to people who live IN Canada.
I was joking

But agree with your last post, He certainly isn't doing himself favors with how he words his ads but only he knows what he really has had to go through to get cars to Canada. It truly may be have lost him margin or even cost him money in the end. I can see why he may limit his sales to the USA, just don't word it the way he did.

Last edited by stevengerard; March 24th, 2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:43 AM

more

So all of this seems to hinge on 3rd party shipping times. Since when does it take less time to ship over seas than to Canada?

Also his items sold on eBay are far less than the 300 plus that he claimed in my original post. The numbers do not add up.

If I was buying it I would have it shipped to one of the many companies that specialize in holding items before they cross the border. Pretty simple.

The big issue here is that the seller is a hot head. I respect his right not to sell to Canada & he can respect my right to think him an A-hole. Seems fair. The best solution is to find another car & leave this one alone.

PS...for other sellers who will only ship to the lower 48 I always ask if they will ship to Point Roberts WA. My Condo in Tsawwassen BC is 1 mile from the US border and another 200 yards to a business that accepts packages.
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:20 AM

I was joking
I figured!
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:32 AM

The problem is that there is no enforcement mechanism within ebay for this. You can SAY all you want that you won't ship to, say, Africa, where problems like the above can be rampant, but that doesn't prevent people from there from bidding anyway. Nothing in the ebay system stops them from doing so. I warn the bidder that their bid will be cancelled and that they should retract it, but they never do, so I end up doing it.
Since this point is fundamental to the discussion, some clarification is in order. If your settings are correct in any item you sell, Canada or any regional location can set for exclusion which then stops bidders based in the selection region from bidding let alone purchasing. See images below from my own ebay pages, which I set for Canada for this discussion. I redacted my specific location as it is not relevant. So ebay does have a complete mechanism in place which is arranged by seller settings at the point of bid, much more information is available on the site. Additionally some items cannot sell to a region or country due to law at the destination location, or rarely due to US export law.

I have had my share of headaches as a seller selling and shipping to Canada over 1100 sales over 11 years, with currently 1400 100% positive feedback. Canada buyers are appreciative and understanding, but at least a equal measure in my experiences are not. Some buyers want to hold any US seller accountable for the high cost of shipping items over more or less two pounds even when the item is shipped at cost as clearly seen on the four pages of paperwork. I have had positive feedback left from buyers in Canada, then all one star ratings. Several left neutral again due to shipping costs even again when shipped at cost using best, least expensive method. It would certainly benefit all involved if ebay allowed specifically excluding the French speaking provinces, as for me most Canada trouble has come from bidders based there. Yankee hating axe grinders are welcome to shop elsewhere as I formerly and currently don't want the headache. US Postal Service and Canada Post have a specific, detailed reciprocal agreement which is completely out of any US sellers control. I have never sold a vehicle to Canada specifically, and I have sold even bulky and heavy items to just about every corner of the planet including Saudi Arabia, Monaco, Uzbekistan, South Africa, and all over Asia with only a few total combined headaches.

ebaycanada1.jpg

ebaycanada3.jpg

Last edited by coldwar; March 25th, 2013 at 04:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Wow, do we suck!
There are headaches associated with dealing with ANY country, buyer,seller what have you.
That said, I do not think that it is correct to exclude a group of people based on the actions of a few.

Last edited by sammy; March 25th, 2013 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Because I am a complaining Canadian
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by coldwar
If your settings are correct in any item you sell, Canada or any regional location can set for exclusion which then stops bidders based in the selection region from bidding let alone purchasing.
Thanks. I wasn't aware of this, but it has been a while since I've done any selling.

Quick Reply: Wont sell to Canada WTH ??????