General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

wife wants a vette

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2011, 07:33 PM

wife wants a vette

OK guys wife wants her own toy she wants a vette of course. i do not care for corvettes at all myself. so big question i have found a couple of late 70's vette's for 2,000 to 3,000 that look like easy fixes but i know there is many hidden issues with these cars does anyone here know were to look for the frame issues that are hidden to a novice vette guy.
Old February 6th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I had a 74 Big Block for a couple years about 24-25 years ago. They are prone to the frame cracking somewhere under the front crossmember. I remember having mine welded but don't remember exactly where the crack was. The original calipers on these cars were usually had to be replaced with ones that had stainless steel sleeves since the originals would become pitted. Most probably have been replaced by now. The strut rods on the rear suspension wear out and the car will wonder like crazy. Since they have a fiberglass body, they can be electrical nightmares. All parts are available through several supplies (Ecklers and Mid America Corvette come to mind), They are fun old cars but you can spend more on them than you intend to. Of course that is easy with any car.
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:02 PM

well this is her project and she wants a 60's model and i dont want to even go there riht now so if i can get one with a good chassis and body i will be some what happy i guess
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by made in the usa
i have found a couple of late 70's vette's for 2,000 to 3,000 that look like easy fixes but i know there is many hidden issues with these cars
Don't walk away ....RUN AWAY!!!!!!
I'm a Chevy guy first and foremost and IMHO they are SEVERE money pits.

Not only does the name "Corvette" add a premium to EVERY part on the damn things, But the engine compartments are a real bitch to get to anything in. You'll fork out a fortune fixing it up and I've seen more guys bitch about C3's more then any other.

My Aunt's boyfriend is 58 years old and he owns a mint 70's stingray. I'm talking MINT. I can't stand the thing. They feel like Sardine cans getting in and out of them and I'm only 195lbs and 5' 10". Looks just like this one with 4" hooker sidepipes.

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 6th, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:07 PM

i know were you are coming from i have worked on them in the past and drove them i dont like anything about them. but keeping the wife happy why you restore a 18 foot car she finds ugly is not a wise idea to say no
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:10 PM

but keeping the wife happy why you restore a 18 foot car she finds ugly is not a wise idea to say no
Ahhh.....so you have a joint checking account I'm guessing.
First mistake.

My money is mine, hers is hers.
We split everything. I pay more, but my money is my money.
I feel ya though, if it's like that, ya gotta do what you gotta do.
Just advise her on the realistic costs of maintaining it or building it and she might change her mind.

My wife wants me to sell my 1970 442 tribute for a new SRT8 Challenger. LOL
I won't lie.....I did think about it.

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 6th, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:13 PM

my wife makes twice as much money as me. so she wants a vette i think it will be ok lol . but i can curse the chevy more often while trying to get more time to go out in the garage
Old February 6th, 2011, 09:35 PM

I've had five 69-74 Stingrays in the last dozen years (LT-1, L46, L82 and base L-48s), so obviously I like them. These cars are huge money pits though from the rear end setups to body/paint, so you want to buy a nice example versus a basket case. The birdcage is a huge problem spot - look at the windshield pillars and across the top of windshield for any signs of rust flaking. Also, pull the kick panels and look at the body mount area by the bolts. You want these spots to be as clean as possible. On the frames, the rear kickups behind the doors and also the endcaps are prone to rust. Core supports rust too.

Here's a good thread that I remembered from the C3 forum and it includes some pics of the problem areas I described:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-corvette.html

68-72s will be a little rougher riding with solid body mounts. 73s have rubber mounts and have a different feel and retain the cool kamm-back rear end with chrome bumpers. '73 and '74 L-82s are still fairly healthy small blocks (250 net hp/~300 gross hp). '75-
'77s are dirt cheap now even for really nice ones that don't need much. Check the C3s for sale section on that forum too. Lots of nice cars there.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Terry

Last edited by vette442; February 6th, 2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old February 6th, 2011, 09:42 PM

There's some good tips ^ ^ for ya from someone within that circle.

I've always wondered if they're worth keeping all original if they're not rare editions.
Because the payback on those weak 70's Chevy powerplants just doesn't seem worthwhile.

my wife makes twice as much money as me. so she wants a vette i think it will be ok lol .
Hell I'm jealous, you got yourself a sugar momma!!!! LOL
Hell she can get whatever she wants then I guess.
Old February 6th, 2011, 10:40 PM

You can make this work. It will be good for your marriage, and good for your future. But only if you do it right, and sorry to tell you but IMHO, you're planning to do everything wrong.

Serious flaws in your plan:
  • Buying her the wrong year. If it's not what she really wants, you lose big time. You'll never hear the end of it and you'll never have her permission to buy what you really want for yourself. Get her exactly what she wants, a 60's vette.
  • Buying a project car for your wife. Sorry, bad idea. By the time it's done, she will have lost interest. What you think about is how you can fix up some dilapitaed car and be proud of what you accomplished, or gain a $$ advantage. That's not at all what a typical woman thinks about. What a woman pictures in her mind is a car that she can hop into, throw down the top and drive away looking good. Get a car that is done.
  • Planning to restore a car you don't like. You will hate it, you will not have any enthusiasm for it, it will be a miracle if you do not sell it at a loss as a basket case.
  • Buying the cheapest year Vette. There is a reason the late 70's Vette's are cheap. No one wants them. Remember if you buy a dog, then you own a dog. Spend the money, buy something decent. When you buy the best, it only hurts once. That is especially true with Vettes. Good Vettes are actually a very solid investment, probably more predictably appreciating than just about any other car.
Don't be afraid to borrow $ to buy a Vette. You can probaby even get her to make the payments and you will still look good.

Good luck!
Old February 7th, 2011, 04:57 AM

^ Also great advice.

Right now in this recession buying a completed dime a dozen regular C3 will
cost probably 1/2 to 1/4 of what one would cost to restore. Totally a buyers
market in classics right now.

However Parts vendors are *** raping people today. Total opposite.
I got out my Classic Industries parts list I ordered in 2006.
Some parts have gone well over 100%-150% up in cost in just 5 years.
RIDICULOUS!!!!

My Camaro's coolant overflow bottle ($16) and cap ($3.50) is now being
sold for $39 and $11. I almost gagged. Don't even start pricing
out "Corvette" stuff or you'll just get pissed off.

Buy a COMPLETE car if you can. People are selling off their toys
left and right dirt cheap right now.

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 7th, 2011 at 04:59 AM.
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:16 AM

Has she ever ridden in one or driven one?

1] They ride like a wagon

2] It hard to see the front end.

Maybe a test drive would change her mind.

JMHO My wife "thinks" she wants alot of things til she has one. The most recent example was a Jag
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:36 AM

thanks for the hints i do have a friend that has a 77 she can drive think i will throw her in that one see what she thinks. the problem with the 60's model is were she works people beet the hell out of my vehicles. and I'm scared to death it be totaled in two weeks of owning it. another reason i wanted a cheaper model vette. but I'm almost thinking its a fad she will get bored with and probably get sold off but any more input is always welcome
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Ahhh.....so you have a joint checking account I'm guessing.
First mistake.

My money is mine, hers is hers.
We split everything. I pay more, but my money is my money.
I feel ya though, if it's like that, ya gotta do what you gotta do.
Just advise her on the realistic costs of maintaining it or building it and she might change her mind. .
Exactly.........The wife works and pays certain bills and I pay ones, yeah I pay more too. That's the only way or you will never have anything to call your own. Enough marital advice (LOL)
I borrowed my friends 1972 Vette for a week, years ago, because my 442 was being painted. I'm 5'11" and (at the time) 150lb, That car rode like a buckboard, could feel every ripple in the road. We're talking teeth jarring. The worst part though was NO ROOM. The door was pushing against my side. DID NOT LIKE THAT CAR !!!!!
Old February 7th, 2011, 06:18 AM

i don't even want to go there I'm 6ft 1 and 225 I'm a big guy these cars are not even in my thought to drive comfortably i hate vettes and always will. im restoring a 67 delta 88 for a reason i like leg room
Old February 7th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Administrator

If my wife decided she wanted an older car I'd be exstatic!!!! You can always go with an Olds motor in it!!!! Joking! The older Vettes 68-72 are reasonably priced at the moment and as mentioned above, buy one already completed. I would not, repeat, would not buy a Vette between 73 and 91. The only exception is the ZR1. Another thought would be a 92 and above. They get tremendously good gas mileage and they are the 300+ HP. I had a 92, it was a very nice car, however I ended up trading it for my son, LONG STORY!!! Good Luck!!!
Old February 7th, 2011, 07:36 AM
delete

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Buy a COMPLETE car if you can.
There is something to be said about the satisfaction of driving a car the day you buy it. Everyone has an opinion on these cars. Personally I think they are OK. If you ever want to finish your car buy her a car that is together. If you are looking mid '70's you can get a mint one for four figures.
Old February 7th, 2011, 09:01 AM

Here's mine. It's not a frame off, but near to it.
I also went with a 6.0 LS motor and Richmond 6 speed to make it more drivable, but it's the way I want it.
If you're looking for a C3, first thing, go to corvetteforum and search the following issues.
Birdcage rust, around windshield frame. Makes the car pretty much worthless. Best indicated by extra caulk around windshield, rust behind kick panels at body mount.
Frame rust at rear kickups, can be fixed but is body off repair.
Rear trailing arms. Bearings, bushings wear and it is not a job for other than an experienced corvette mechanic.
Differential, same issues as above. Look for excessive rear camber or bent strut rods as an indicator of a $1k repair.
Brakes, at minimum you'll need to rebuild calipers and put in O ring kits.
Most electrical, gauge, AC, front suspension, fuel line/tank, interior, weatherstripping, carpet, top, etc isuues are about the same for any 40 year old GM car.
BBC, SBC are pretty cheap to keep running, just 40 year old motors are not reliable enough for a DD. Just dont expect to get more than 12mpg even with a small block.
Muncies anf TH400 are pretty standard and reliable.
Good news is that almost everything has been repopped. And illustrated diagrams of parts, installation, directions, etc is 10 times better than any Olds.
Ever with what may look like a "done" car, a lot of these issues may be there under a nice paint job and interior.
And dont forget seats and ride are uncomfortable, footwell always too hot, and early ones tended to have a lot of rattles.
Good luck.
vette1.jpg
Old February 7th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

An additional thought:

Your satellite pics says you're in Ohio (or hints at it), which is perfect. Whenever I need Corvette-related info--including "road tests"--Pro Team Corvettes is my go-to. [http://www.proteam-corvette.com/]

They have every year--and nearly every configuration--of Corvette in their "showroom," so it's kind of like the Corvette version of a mattress store: look for the ones you might like the most and give 'em a bounce...

Drew
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM

I really liked my '76 L82 4 spd. I liked the way it drove and looked, but the damn thing was nickle and diming me to death. I was always spending money on one thing or another. I sold the car a few years ago and when I start to miss it, I remember what still needed to be done to make it perfect...and then I feel OK again.

IMG_1433.jpg

100_4788.jpg

000_0551.jpg
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Captain of my ship

I like 58/60 for the vettes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
260X.jpg (48.6 KB, 1 views)
1046B.jpg (53.3 KB, 1 views)
1056B.jpg (47.0 KB, 1 views)
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:58 PM

Nice Vettes guys.
Garys68 LOL looks like you've done the LS route once before as well.
Another adddict I see. I am a big fan of C6 z06's and Grand Sports.

My next car I told the wife is a 2008 or newer C6.
I really want that Grand Sport.

My 78 Camaro was painted to match the 1996 Grand Sport.
Loved that car back in the day too
Old February 7th, 2011, 03:46 PM

the 58 threw 60 are the only vettes i like the looks of
Old February 7th, 2011, 04:11 PM

the 58 threw 60 are the only vettes i like the looks of
You got that right
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:57 PM

Thumbs up

LOL! GREAT Advice! ProTeam; yeah -- been around for AGES!
I like the 2nd Gen. Vettes and the newer ones mostly; BUT I LOVE your "Angie Wagon" MORE!! NICE RIDE!!! Wasn't '89 the LAST year for those Style Cruisers Drew?? NICE CATCH!! How long you had yours?? (More pics please! )

take care,

John
Originally Posted by auto_editor
An additional thought:

Your satellite pics says you're in Ohio (or hints at it), which is perfect. Whenever I need Corvette-related info--including "road tests"--Pro Team Corvettes is my go-to. [http://www.proteam-corvette.com/]

They have every year--and nearly every configuration--of Corvette in their "showroom," so it's kind of like the Corvette version of a mattress store: look for the ones you might like the most and give 'em a bounce...

Drew
Old February 15th, 2011, 06:27 AM

well i did go with a 74 sting ray got a good deal on it And has minimal work runs drives stops and all electrical works. Frame looks great and windshield post and bird cage are clean. Needs a good tune up and a gas tank replaced and i will get it ready for paint. Seat covers are needing replaced but all parts are available so I'm not to scared. And the important part wife was very happy for valentines day and it will be a hard one to top next year. Scary part is she is already looking to see what else she wants to change on it. Now we will be fighting over the computer to oder parts lol. But one condition applies my car gets put back together first don't want bolts getting mixed up right.
Old February 15th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Good to hear you made her happy, however I believe a few more details and a pic are in order!!!!! Annnnnnnnd if you don't mind me asking the purchase price????
Old February 15th, 2011, 07:27 AM

Well picks will be coming. Price isn't bad gave 2800.00 has a rebuilt trans and new flywheel we will just say someone didn't pay there repair bill. So they lost there vette it does need exhaust so i guess i will put those side pipes on there lol.