General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Whats wrong with this picture?

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Kjr442

Unhappy Whats wrong with this picture?

I almost cried when I walked in the shop and saw this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ebay fire truck.jpg (72.1 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by kjr442; July 24th, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:19 PM

I hope his quality of work doesn't match his care for your car and the parts you provided
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I hope his quality of work doesn't match his care for your car and the parts you provided
John he cut my NOS quarter panel below the factory seam. I meant to put this in general discussions, but I don't know how to move it now.
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:01 AM

The one in the trunk didnt look to bad why did he swap it out ? Or am I just blind .
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by kjr442
John he cut my NOS quarter panel below the factory seam. I meant to put this in general discussions, but I don't know how to move it now.
The reason he cut the panel where he did is because the full panel fits under the drip rail. Removing the drip rail to fit the panel under it is a lot more work and there is a risk of ruining the drip rail too. You'll be fine with the way it was done as long as everything is welded correctly. This shows why communication is important when you turn a car over to someone esle to do work for you. You need to be crystal clear as to what you want done, have it in writing and have an agreed method for handling other problems or issues as they come up. In the end, you may have agreed to this method of installation if it was explained to you what was involved or you would have been told what the extra cost would be to have it done as you wished.

With this said, I am concerned how the other quarter is placed in the car and the appearance of the shop.
Old July 25th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
The one in the trunk didnt look to bad why did he swap it out ? Or am I just blind .
Your right the one in the trunk is perfect, thats for the other side.
Old July 25th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by 69442C
The reason he cut the panel where he did is because the full panel fits under the drip rail. Removing the drip rail to fit the panel under it is a lot more work and there is a risk of ruining the drip rail too. You'll be fine with the way it was done as long as everything is welded correctly. This shows why communication is important when you turn a car over to someone esle to do work for you. You need to be crystal clear as to what you want done, have it in writing and have an agreed method for handling other problems or issues as they come up. In the end, you may have agreed to this method of installation if it was explained to you what was involved or you would have been told what the extra cost would be to have it done as you wished.

With this said, I am concerned how the other quarter is placed in the car and the appearance of the shop.
\

I was told this car would be on a rotisserie, and I would have the frame back so I could do the drive train.
All seams were to go back like the factory, this was all in writing. I have spent allot of money getting full quarters.
This is something I have waited on for 20 years now, and I am real down about it now. this was supposed to be a good experience.
Old July 25th, 2011, 08:54 AM

Since a rotisserie clamps on the cowl and rear panel of the body. I'd want the qtr. installed the way they're doing it!
If anything were to flex, [floor roof, other qtr.] it'd be a real mess to straighten out!
What's going to hold anything straight on a rotisserie with a qtr. cut off? Or both, for that matter! If the floor is weak, It'd fold in 1/2!
Personally, I'd be happy where he cut the sail panels, as those drip rails are pretty hard to find, and a real PIA!
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:02 AM

It is not what you wanted but it will be fine that way. What he should have done was bring you down and explain what he was going to do. That way it would have been your choice to poss damage the drip rail or do it his way. A factory NOS quarter? That must have set you back a bit.

A messy shop does not always mean a poor repair person. I have seen great work from some real pigs and crappy work from neak freaks.
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by Rickman48
Since a rotisserie clamps on the cowl and rear panel of the body. I'd want the qtr. installed the way they're doing it!
If anything were to flex, [floor roof, other qtr.] it'd be a real mess to straighten out!
What's going to hold anything straight on a rotisserie with a qtr. cut off? Or both, for that matter! If the floor is weak, It'd fold in 1/2!
Personally, I'd be happy where he cut the sail panels, as those drip rails are pretty hard to find, and a real PIA!
Your right about the frame, I just wish he had covered it as much as possible. The quarters are fine, I guess. This is just not what I was told I would have,and I spent so much time and money getting both quarters.
To think about this N O S quarter making it through all of these years, and now, it's not much better then a after market. I am just so disappointed now.
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:36 PM

To think about this N O S quarter making it through all of these years, and now, it's not much better then a after market. I am just so disappointed now.
Honestly, you are just fine with the way this was installed and if it were me, I wouldn't lose one bit of sleep over it. I would also be telling the guy to do the other side the same way. And you a light years ahead of any aftermarket panel. Nothing beats factory original sheetmetal. If the rest of the panel was fully installed and there was just that small section cut at the top, you are good to go. The shop should have explained all of this to you and showed you why they would do it the way they did just to eliminate any issues since they agreed to do otherwise. But if this is the biggest issue you run into, you are home free. Cheer up and focus your efforts into other areas. You have a lot more work to do. Good luck with it and keep the photos coming.
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Past Administrator

...I meant to put this in general discussions, but I don't know how to move it now.
Done!
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Kjr442

Smile

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Done!
Thank you Dan. Have a good one!
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Kjr442

Honestly, you are just fine with the way this was installed and if it were me, I wouldn't lose one bit of sleep over it. I would also be telling the guy to do the other side the same way. And you a light years ahead of any aftermarket panel. Nothing beats factory original sheetmetal. If the rest of the panel was fully installed and there was just that small section cut at the top, you are good to go. The shop should have explained all of this to you and showed you why they would do it the way they did just to eliminate any issues since they agreed to do otherwise. But if this is the biggest issue you run into, you are home free. Cheer up and focus your efforts into other areas. You have a lot more work to do. Good luck with it and keep the photos coming.
Thanks, I do appreciate that.
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:08 PM

Thanks, I do appreciate that.
Anytime. And tell us your first name.

Brian
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:28 PM

Your right about the frame, I just wish he had covered it as much as possible. The quarters are fine, I guess. This is just not what I was told I would have,and I spent so much time and money getting both quarters.
I guess I dont get what Im looking at, whats wrong with what he did?
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Kjr442

Anytime. And tell us your first name.

Brian
The name is Kevin, pleased to meet you Brian.
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:40 PM

The name is Kevin, pleased to meet you Brian.
Thanks Kevin and same here.

I think I saw on another one of your posts where you were asking for any suggestions on your project and I would like to offer one. If you can find one, plant a money tree in your back yard and fertilize the heck out of it!!
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by TK-65
I guess I dont get what Im looking at, whats wrong with what he did?
Not much I guess. From the responses I have had on this, what he did is perfectly acceptable. I had always wanted to replace the quarters completely all the way to the factory seams,that is why I bought the full quarters. The quarter was cut below the drip rail.
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:50 PM

I'm glad you're happy with the explanations!
The 'failure to communicate' part is probably because the 'salesman' you talked to probably never did bodywork, or mounted a body to a rotisserie, and doesn't understand the proceedure himself.
You'll be super happy with the outcome!
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Kjr442

Thanks Kevin and same here.

I think I saw on another one of your posts where you were asking for any suggestions on your project and I would like to offer one. If you can find one, plant a money tree in your back yard and fertilize the heck out of it!!
Thanks Brian,(Ha Ha) that's real helpful. I wish I could, this thing is a money pit for sure!
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by Rickman48
I'm glad you're happy with the explanations!
The 'failure to communicate' part is probably because the 'salesman' you talked to probably never did bodywork, or mounted a body to a rotisserie, and doesn't understand the proceedure himself.
You'll be super happy with the outcome!
Well,the salesman is the owner. I think he is a very accomplished body man.His brother works for him, and is unbelievably good. The big problem here is the lack of communication between him and his other men. The owner and his brother went on vacation, and left the shop in the hands of the workers. I was not told that my car had been started on,or that it was vacation time.
I made a surprise visit, and this is what I walked in on. After reading some of the responses here, I am not as mad now. Thank you.