General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What color did Oldsmobile paint there irrigation and marine engines?

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2023, 04:02 PM

What color did Oldsmobile paint there irrigation and marine engines?

What color did Oldsmobile paint there marine and irrigation motors 73 to 76 time period?
Old June 20th, 2023, 04:37 PM

I had an "L" series with like 4 digits following. Was painted a light powder blue, in my best opinion. Who knows if it was originally that, though?
Old June 20th, 2023, 07:14 PM

Off white for Berkeley marine..or a blue
Old June 20th, 2023, 08:19 PM

I remember a light blue on stationary irrigation pump engine, doubtful if they were ever painted...Tedd
Old June 21st, 2023, 11:10 AM
Past Administrator

Years and years ago I first discovered their existence, probably from here. Every little shed next to the road near a big field would get me exited wondering, "is there one in that shed?". I dreamed about finding one like that for pennies on the dollar. Just imagine an engine that saw most of it's life running at it's peak torque rated rpm constantly, probably never saw a day above the mason/dixon line, was never exposed to abuse (assuming that most farmers take care of their tools) and would probably be an ideal candidate for a rebuild.
Old June 21st, 2023, 03:55 PM

i have an olds 260 diesel, was used for some sort of oddball work, had control panel, reworked exhaust manifolds,big multi groove pulley on the crank. it is like a brownish red oxide primer color
Old June 21st, 2023, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Years and years ago I first discovered their existence, probably from here. Every little shed next to the road near a big field would get me exited wondering, "is there one in that shed?". I dreamed about finding one like that for pennies on the dollar. Just imagine an engine that saw most of it's life running at it's peak torque rated rpm constantly, probably never saw a day above the mason/dixon line, was never exposed to abuse (assuming that most farmers take care of their tools) and would probably be an ideal candidate for a rebuild.
Thanks for posting.
That would make for one cool engine run stand
Old June 22nd, 2023, 06:42 AM

The cost of gas and added up keep made most gas powered irrigation stationary engines a thing of the past. Those that couldn't go electric went diesel or tractor mounted power take-offs. Started to happen in the seventies and gas powered engines were just about gone by the late eighties for full time irrigation in my area. PG&E made a big push with incentives to get rid of anything gas or diesel powered irrigation pumps... Tedd
Old June 22nd, 2023, 07:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

I thought most irrigation and industrial motors were run on natural gas. The Olds parts book lists hardened seat inserts for these motors, since natural gas or LPG didn't have lead. Note that this is as opposed to the induction hardened seats used in the 1971-up passenger car motors.

Old June 22nd, 2023, 07:46 AM
Past Administrator

Well, whatever the reason, they are no more, or at least as rare as hen's teeth. It is still a dream for me to find one at a cheap price seeing as how they aren't valued any longer and be able to rebuild it. As I understand it they were always ran at constant rpm for max torque to push water through a line so 3800 to 4200 rpm maybe? I would think that would be nothing for a 455 to do all it's lifetime.