General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Stuck Themostat

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2022, 05:51 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Stuck Themostat

Yesterday I was in the Olds headed to the monthly NTOC Meeting. I am on the George Bush Tollroad running along about 8 with people passing me. It was a nice day, and I had the T-Tops (Hurst Hatches) out. I had not gone very far and looked down at my temp gage and the thing had pegged to the hot side. I rolled off at the next exit and came to a stop. Then I realized I had left my cell phone at home which is very unusual for me. A nice guy in one of those high dollar Mercedes square looking SUV's stops and asked if I needed help. So, I use his phone and called my wife's cell. It was a California cell, and she did not know the number, so she didn't answer. Then I call the house phone (yes, we still have a land line) and she could hear me on the answering machine. So, she comes on over and then I call AAA and they send a wrecker. We got home and dropped the car in the street. It was cooled off by now, so I put it in the garage. I was pretty sure it was a stuck thermostat. My buddy Rob (The Robinski) gave me a thermostat. I pulled the old one and put them both in a pan of water. The new one opened right at 180° and the old one never opened. I already had a package of new gaskets that I bought from Rock Auto on closeout. I had to go to our new NAPA store and got some antifreeze and then next door to Dollar General to get a couple gallons of distilled water. I ran it until it warmed up and it stabilized at around 160°. Life is good again.
Old October 10th, 2022, 06:49 PM

Good on you, Glenn. That certainly seems like a dead thermostat. Glad you got the thing to seal, I'm having a devil of a time with a Chevy on that.
Old October 10th, 2022, 07:19 PM
Administrator

A 180* thermostat should keep the engine at 180*+. If you're only seeing 160*, the replacement is not working correctly.
Old October 10th, 2022, 08:49 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Koda, for years I have heard that about Chevys although I never experienced it. I have heard it more about the O-ring thermostat housings.
Eric, I thought the same thing as you. The only hashmarks on the gauge with numbers on them are at 100, 210 and 240. I am guessing on the 160°. It is either one of two things. I am guessing it wrong, and the thermostat is a 160. It opened right at 180 in the pan of water, so it is probably my interpretation of where the needle is. Either way I am okay with it.
Old October 10th, 2022, 09:03 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Yeah, sounds like the new one is stuck open! How fast does the engine warm up?
Old October 11th, 2022, 04:57 AM

Sounds like you got it figured out. How did you measure the temp of the engine after installing the new thermostat?
Old October 11th, 2022, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Koda, for years I have heard that about Chevys although I never experienced it. I have heard it more about the O-ring thermostat housings.
Eric, I thought the same thing as you. The only hashmarks on the gauge with numbers on them are at 100, 210 and 240. I am guessing on the 160°. It is either one of two things. I am guessing it wrong, and the thermostat is a 160. It opened right at 180 in the pan of water, so it is probably my interpretation of where the needle is. Either way I am okay with it.
The thermostat rating is the temp in which it starts to open, fully opened is somewhere around 15* higher.
Old October 11th, 2022, 05:59 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thermostat is not stuck open. I tested it twice in a pan of hot water with a thermometer in it. I am not trying to troubleshoot the car here. This is just a story of my Sunday afternoon event. Thanks for the advice anyway. .
Old October 11th, 2022, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I am not trying to troubleshoot the car here. This is just a story of my Sunday afternoon event. Thanks for the advice anyway. .
Lots of armchair quarterbacks on here.
Old October 11th, 2022, 01:21 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Koda
Good on you, Glenn. That certainly seems like a dead thermostat. Glad you got the thing to seal, I'm having a devil of a time with a Chevy on that.
John, I remember you saying this on another thread, but can't recall if you determined you had a warped housing or not. For what it's worth, when I put my recored radiator, new thermostat & gasket, and hoses on a few years ago, I was having a weepy leak at the housing for quite a while. It finally sealed up, but it took quite a few cycles before doing so. I found it odd, but after it finally stopped, I just chalked it up to "must be how these gaskets seal."
Old October 11th, 2022, 09:09 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I scraped the manifold and the housing with my gasket scrapper that uses a single edge razor blade. Then I wiped them both down with lacquer thinner. The gasket had peel off with adhesive on one side and I used blue Permatex on the other side next to the manifold. I also put Permatex on the bolts. Tightened the two bolts down and no leaks. Sorry guys I did not use a torque wrench on the bolts.
Old October 11th, 2022, 09:14 PM
Administrator

I use weatherstrip adhesive and seal the gasket to the housing and dry against the manifold. Put some plumbers pipe dope on the bolts and tighten it all down. Never have a leak.
Old October 12th, 2022, 02:52 AM

Glad you got it, Glenn.