General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Special Order Cars

Old July 25th, 2012, 11:16 AM

We don't know to whom the cars were sold. I think we can assume 10 were sold to customers and zero sold to police departments, but assuming doesn't make it factual.
Old July 25th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Allan, is there a special decal or something on the shift ball of that Police Interceptor, or is it just a reflection?
I don't know. I'll have to flag that for attention when I see the car again. I just hope the elder gentleman who owns it is still around next year.

Originally Posted by TK-65
Yes there was a police brochure for 65, but it was NOT applied to 442s. Does anyone know how easy it is to swap speedo heads into a 65? That car has so many things wrong with it that Id bet my car that the speedo has been changed. Notice the dash is the color if the car? Dash unit has been out of the car before because the metal dash was black originally.
No problem. I'll get in touch with the owner somehow and find out. If he can prove that dash and speedo is original to the car I guess he will own 2 65's then. If it's not? Hey you win!

You know, some people DO customize their cars to suit their tastes right? Changing a paint color on the dash is not the end all of great comparisons. Neither is the MSD or Mondello heads or aftermarket gages. I even stated the engine wasn't the original. I think its REASONABLE to accept those things as non stock. If you read back in my original post, the ONLY thing I said was the owner claims this to be an original 442 Police Interceptor. IMO, Everything I posted was in line with what Scot is looking for in terms of 'special' cars. I guess the best way for me to counter your point would be: PROVE it's not! I want conclusive proof, documentation etc that there's absolutely NO WAY that car could have been ordered from Olds as a 2 door Police Interceptor.

No, it verifies that it was built in Lansing. All W30s were built in Lansing but not all 442s built in Lansing were W30s.
Yeah, I guess I need the cars pedigree in pics for anyone to accept it's a real W30. That's fine, not worth arguing over.
Old July 25th, 2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I guess the best way for me to counter your point would be: PROVE it's not! I want conclusive proof, documentation etc that there's absolutely NO WAY that car could have been ordered from Olds as a 2 door Police Interceptor.
If you were buying that car, I would think you'd want the owner to provide proof, not for you to prove it's possible it was a PI. I don't see how TK's point should be approached any differently.
Old July 26th, 2012, 05:51 AM

What makes you think you are the arbiter of this thread? If you introduce a discussion, you should reasonably expect communication from others on the merits (or lack thereof) of a post. Are you interested in the cars, or your ego? There are several people on this site who know more about Oldsmobiles than you and me combined and this is an opportunity to learn about these cars. However, I don't see many of those people participating, perhaps because you've automatically become an "expert" and have allowed yourself to sense any counterpoint as criticism of you instead of the facts. Relax a bit and enjoy the ride instead of diverting attention from cars to me because not only am I not in the wrong, but I'm going to continue being interested in seeing what neat finds you make.
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
No one said anything about buying the car. Like Allan said before it was intended to be put here on this thread as a request by me. I haven't seen any positive info on this thread submitted by you, only negative. Stop trying to pick a fight and move on. If it was constructive criticism then it wouldn't matter, but it's not. You are trolling for an argument so do us a favor and unsubscribe from this thread and move on since you have nothing to add to the thread positively.
The title of this thread, started by you, is "Special Order Cars". Introducing cars that are not documented as "Special Order" invites critics such as Diego to challenge your assertions. I don't see any problem with that. I enjoyed the true special order cars, such as the pink convertible. Those are really interesting to me.
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:08 AM

GA, why don't you delete your posts and then we can delete ours and the thread can continue on the wavelength in which it was intended?
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:31 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Diego
GA, why don't you delete your posts and then we can delete ours and the thread can continue on the wavelength in which it was intended?
Happy Birthday To You, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday Deigo, Jasen, Bob, Kurt Happy Birthday To You

Now you guys can finally be happy Oh wait my bad, you'll just find somewhere else to troll LOL

Last edited by GAOldsman; July 26th, 2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Too many trolls that act like schoolgirls with their knickers smell better than yours attitude.
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:31 AM

Scot, the issue is with you, not me. I am not the only one who sees that. You should post more pink cars for us to appreciate rather than get all defensive.
Old July 26th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Diego
If you were buying that car, I would think you'd want the owner to provide proof, not for you to prove it's possible it was a PI. I don't see how TK's point should be approached any differently.
Can't argue that IF I was buying the car I would like to see the proof as claimed because that would definitely be part of a negotiation on price. Not dumb enough to think otherwise. Didn't I say in a previous post that I'll ask the owner to dig it out or I'll try to link up with him on that? All the things that Jason has identified as being 'wrong' with the car are either minor issues or imagined. The cowl rivet? He sees a hardware store rivet in that pic?? Give me a break, I've seen plenty of cowl rivets sanded shiny. With all the things he sees wrong with it I'm surprised he even acknowledges it's a 65 442. I will eventually get a pic of that cowl tag for you. And I will ask the owner if he can show me the docs so I can present them here for you all to see. Until then, I'm satisfied to accept his word that it is what it is. I will go back and change the wording from Police Interceptor to 'Owner Alleged Police Apprehender Option' though till it is proved.

I'm sure Jason can defend his own statements without your help. I'm open to hearing his concerns on all that's wrong. The I can address them to the owner next time I see him.

Do you have any issues with the other cars I posted there, or are all of them just 'alleged special order cars that may or may not have any shred of credibility to their heritage"? I didn't post pics of a 69 442 that OldsmobileDave brought to the show even though he claims it to be a special paint job ordered by a factory executive. There was no evidence on the cowl tag of that, and Dave didn't offer any documentation of that either. I feel I am contributing to Scots thread in the spirit he requested. Nothing more, nothing less. I will continue to do so in the spirit it was created until the thread is closed/locked or I die.

AlleyOlds (Mike) - I understand and accept your point about the nature of how threads invite comments. It also comes down to how something is typed or presented. Maybe one day this site will have SKYPE or something that will allow members to talk to each other instead of typing. Open speach may present more flexibility and may lessen the chance of misunderstanding how ideas are presented. Just a thought.
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Allan, is there a special decal or something on the shift ball of that Police Interceptor, or is it just a reflection?
That is a Hurst shift ball. It is a NASCAR 50th anniversary edition one.
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So that's something that could easily be replaced based on owner preference right? I knew someone here would know what it was. So that means it would have been from around 2008? Well heck, if you're gonna be shifting a mean machine like that, might as well have something that screams 'racing' on the shifter too! Just did a quick search it looks like to celebrate the 50th, there were TONS of promo things made and sold. This shifter ball must be one of them. Thanks Paul.

Apparently they were available in Black or White
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Happy Birthday To You, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday Deigo, Jasen, Bob, Kurt Happy Birthday To You

Now you guys can finally be happy Oh wait my bad, you'll just find somewhere else to troll LOL
Ive offered up some facts, like the police brochure, and asked some legit questions about the car. I dont just fawn over everything said at car shows and take it as fact without asking questions or wanting proof. Truthfully I dont even give a crap.

Last edited by TK-65; July 26th, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:03 PM

All the things that Jason has identified as being 'wrong' with the car are either minor issues or imagined. The cowl rivet? He sees a hardware store rivet in that pic?? Give me a break, I've seen plenty of cowl rivets sanded shiny. With all the things he sees wrong with it I'm surprised he even acknowledges it's a 65 442.
I dont give a rats behind as to whats wrong and whats right. Not my car to judge, and I dont judge. Only reason I pointed out the non factory items was you presented the car as being an "interceptor", which is not even the correct term. So the guy has a car with a bunch of wrong parts and uses the wrong name for the so called special option and Im suppose to take his word for it? I wouldnt call him out but I sure as hell would fact check it before touting it on the internet.

Things such as the engine being incorrect, and almost everything attached to it being non factory are not minor nor imagined. And the rivet has not been sanded shiny (who does that anyway). Its a large round head rivet applied with a hand squeezed gun. Not the flat, small ridge rivets used by GM to attach cowl tags.

You can take his word for it but Ive seen enough of these cars to know whats right and whats been messed with. Even seen a car that had a hardtop VIN attached to its post coupe door pillar...with rusty hardware store rivets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rivet.jpg (24.6 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by TK-65; July 26th, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:11 PM

Here is another of those special 442s with the rare cowl tag rivets.

fakerivets.jpg

Real Fisher Body trim tag rivets,

Last edited by TK-65; July 26th, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:29 PM

Here is one special order car, one of 4 specially made by Olds, or was it Hurst, anyway its one of 4 prototype 67 Hurst Oldsmobiles. Has a 425, or 455, or something.

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=63885

Old July 26th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I dont give a rats behind as to whats wrong and whats right. Not my car to judge, and I dont judge.
Apparently you do - to both of your statements. Well that's fine. Take care. Bye.
unsubscribed
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:50 PM

0038.jpg

0039.jpg

0040.jpg

MARCH 1968 SUPER STOCK MAGAZINE

3 made by Hurst. One sold through a California dealer.

Last edited by vistacruiser67; December 19th, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:31 PM

Fwd 455 68 442 hurst made 3

PC190059.jpg

PC190050.jpg

PC190058.jpg

PC190055.jpg

PC190050.jpg

PC190053.jpg

FWD 68 442. 3 BUILT BY HURST. ONE FOR GEORGE HURST. ONE SOLD THROUGH A CALIFORNIA DEALERSHIP.

1968 442 with a 455 with front wheel drive. It was purchased in 1970 from Guy Martin delarship in Woodland Park, California. The story is that only 3 of these cars manufactured as a special order from Hurst from Oldsmobile. This is the only one known to still be in existence. It is gold with a black stripe. The VIN is 344878M137975.

Last edited by vistacruiser67; December 19th, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:35 PM
"Car"mudgeon

WOWSER

Old December 19th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Very nice write up and presentation. Started by looking at the pics. Suddenly realized looking at the pics that it has Toro wheels on it too! Then I read the article.....nice engineering. Too bad only 3 of them were done.
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:53 PM

They should have used a column shift on this car whether it the car was bench or bucket seat car. Although I know some Toronados were floor shift. Could you imagine how easy it would be with no floor console to get to the back seat without opening the doors?

Last edited by vistacruiser67; December 19th, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old December 19th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Any idea of whether all 3 of these cars were consecutive VIN's? And, why would the back seat be that important to get to without opening the doors??? ohhhh, never mind
Old December 19th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Now that is a special order!...it is cool how they stuffed that in a 442. It looks like it has tilt steering.....

Ted
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by sammy
It looks like it has tilt steering.....Ted
And you think I have an eagle eye... Great observation Ted!
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Kiwi Ciera Driver

Originally Posted by vistacruiser67

FWD 68 442. 3 BUILT BY HURST. ONE FOR GEORGE HURST. ONE SOLD THROUGH A CALIFORNIA DEALERSHIP.

1968 442 with a 455 with front wheel drive. It was purchased in 1970 from Guy Martin delarship in Woodland Park, California. The story is that only 3 of these cars manufactured as a special order from Hurst from Oldsmobile. This is the only one known to still be in existence. It is gold with a black stripe. The VIN is 344878M137975.
Some nasty looking rubbing on that hose caused by the steering shaft.
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by vistacruiser67
They should have used a column shift on this car whether it the car was bench or bucket seat car. Although I know some Toronados were floor shift. Could you imagine how easy it would be with no floor console to get to the back seat without opening the doors?
I dont know if this is a reference to flat floorpans, ala Toro, but the hump is still in the 442.
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:53 PM

0039.jpg

Actually the article states they flatten the transmission hump. Bottom right picture above and caption. Note how they built up the console. One just cant see it very well the flat floor. Its not a good picture but you can see the welds.

I dont know if this is a reference to flat floorpans, ala Toro, but the hump is still in the 442.

Last edited by vistacruiser67; December 19th, 2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old December 19th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Dont know about the VINS. George Hurst had one for a while but how any dealership ever got ahold of one of these is beyond me. This car was obviously in storage and its like a son and law of the buyer telling the story. I will post the link here when I find it again.

Any idea of whether all 3 of these cars were consecutive VIN's? And, why would the back seat be that important to get to without opening the doors??? ohhhh, never mind
Old December 19th, 2012, 07:50 PM
jfb

hey i love this conversation history is beautiful on these cars. I grew up in the late eighties and read a few stories and respect the original owners and the cars. I read that the 455,s were installed at the factory and demmer mostly painted them with a work horse painter and there was supposed to be a moving wing on the ho,s also but was deleted for time i wish i was there to see the ho,s built and scorching the tires personally. I also read that doc watson had 2 built running in the 12,s that he kept and the dashes were real walnut not fake on the ho,s
Old December 19th, 2012, 07:54 PM

http://sbctango.activeboard.com/t416...1968-olds-442/

This is the link where I got the pictures of the gold car.
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jfb
i wish i was there to see the ho,s...
Hos are certainly interesting from a distance, cruising along in "that neighborhood," but, let me assure you that, close-up and personal, hos are not nearly as appealing as they look from inside your car.
For one thing, even the young ones look older than they are.
For another, personal hygiene is an issue after a long night's "work."

I'd stick with "nice girls."

- Eric
Old December 20th, 2012, 06:32 AM

Hurst olds prototypes

This must be the wing you are talking about.

DOC WATSON

Originally Posted by jfb
hey i love this conversation history is beautiful on these cars. I grew up in the late eighties and read a few stories and respect the original owners and the cars. I read that the 455,s were installed at the factory and demmer mostly painted them with a work horse painter and there was supposed to be a moving wing on the ho,s also but was deleted for time i wish i was there to see the ho,s built and scorching the tires personally. I also read that doc watson had 2 built running in the 12,s that he kept and the dashes were real walnut not fake on the ho,s

Last edited by vistacruiser67; December 20th, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old December 20th, 2012, 07:14 AM

I wonder if the Fouranado was originally a 442. I've never seen the VIN for it. The body tag is a Lansing one which wouldn't have a 344 anyway. Obviously the car has been painted. The paint code is A-A which is Black/Black. The interior code is 940 (black buckets). This tells me they started with donor car and modified the crap out of it. None of the pics of the front show whether the hood has the "Oldsmobile" on the front left or not and the only pic of the trunk appears to have a H/O logo not the 442.

I know we've been through this time and time again but this is not a "Special Order" car like a Hurst/Olds. I don't care if one was sold through a dealer. It's an interesting part of automotive history just like any "custom" that George Barris or Chip Foose does.

edit: I see someone posted the VIN above so they did start with a 442 body

PC190055.jpg

Last edited by allyolds68; December 20th, 2012 at 07:18 AM.