General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Special Order Cars

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thx Scot - good catch, is it home time yet?
Old May 14th, 2012, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Steven, I'll go out on a limb here but the night watch system still allows the car to have a rallye pac set up, you'd just have a double connection.
I agree that's how it "could" be done but according to the docs I have; T-81 Headlamp off delay control, night-watch is NA with U21 Rocket Rally Pac.

I guess it could be done, maybe just hook both wires up to the oil sending unit? Does this not lower the voltage going to the oil gauge and creating false readings?
Old May 14th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I agree that's how it "could" be done but according to the docs I have; T-81 Headlamp off delay control, night-watch is NA with U21 Rocket Rally Pac.

I guess it could be done, maybe just hook both wires up to the oil sending unit? Does this not lower the voltage going to the oil gauge and creating false readings?
I just saw that on the 1970 specs booklet. I don't know that it would lower the voltage on the oil sender because it's just being used as a ground. Maybe the ground could be hooked up to another location? I'm just guessing here too. I'd like to know the answer because I have an NOS night watch I'm planning to install in my car with rallye pac gages.

The way I read the schematic, there is no voltage to the night watch system till after the car has been turned off and the button pressed. What are your thoughts?
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:41 PM

That arrow on the hood of the '69 H/O, looks a lot like the one used on the '69 Hurst S/C Rambler. The 65 Cutlass with the 330/315hp, "says drivetrain like a 442", except in '65 the 442 had a 400 ci for thr first time.
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Thanks Scot. I figured there had to be some way to do it. Rob explains it pretty nicely in that link. Never would have thought about variable resistance
Old May 16th, 2012, 05:42 AM

1965 Olds Cutlass, unrestored original, 330/315hp special ultra-high compression (10.5:1) engine and factory 4-speed. Original one family owned until August 2010 with 19,217 original miles. Documented special order car with Broadcast Sheet, owner's protection plan booklet with Protect-O-Plate, original Arizona title and registration signed and dated January 12, 1965, original dealer mandatory State of Arizona vehicle inspection with dated receipt sticker still on windshield. The car was special ordered with the 330/315hp special ultra-high compression engine along with a M20 4-speed transmission, bucket seats, floor carpeting thick pile, dash safety padding, chrome drip rail, extra foam padded rear seat cushions and it was built at the Fremont, CA plant the 3rd week of December, 1964, delivered to John Elias Motors in Nogales, AZ and sold to Consuelo A. Rios on January 6, 1965.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&aid=443&pop=0

The car has all the drivetrain options of a 442 but it isn't a 442. It's a street sleeper.

What exactly is special about this car? All the options it has are listed as available on any Cutlass. Olds built a few 4 speed Cutlasses, F-85s and wagons. Nothing special other than checking off those boxes on the order sheet.

And it does not have all the drivetrain options that a 442 has, since it has a small block 330 under the hood.
Old May 16th, 2012, 05:47 AM

I feel "special-order color" needs to be clarified. This is one man's opinion (stated a few times on this site, I'm sure) and not 100% fact, but the distinction needs to be made.

The four optional colors available for 1970 A-bodies may be "special-order" but are merely optional, extra-cost colors. They were RPO per the order form.

The Rallye Green W-31 posted above is a "true" special-order car, as the color was not RPO for Olds (unless it was introduced mid-year as an RPO, which I can't say either way).

I don't think saying "special-order" for both instances in the same breath is accurate.
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:27 AM

I am a little confused by what you're saying.

The four optional/special-order colors available in 1970 are not really rare, and it would not be unusual for a dealer to order a car in any of these colors for dealer stock.

The Rallye Green car, on the other hand, does not fit that scenario. Neither does the Ming Jade '70 above (admittedly, a better example to use).
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:54 AM

The extra-cost/special-order colors are not rare if you go to shows and check out the data plates. I'm sure there are plenty of other colors, like black, that are rarer yet they were not extra-cost colors. It's no different in the Mopar world - you had to spend a few bucks extra to order a High Impact color like Plum Crazy. As it stands, that color was the most popular color for the 1970 Challenger and was popular on other performance Mopars.

Ordering a Sebring Yellow 442 was no different than ordering power windows - you paid for the option.
Old May 16th, 2012, 07:19 AM

I see where Diego is going, I for one see a lot of special order 70 442s, mostly Nugget Gold and Rallye Red. There is a W30 Sebring Yellow near my house driven all year around. Again, you had to order it that color but I'm sure a lot of dealers ordered some just to have something "different" on their lot which ended up being "not so different"
Old May 16th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by Diego
The extra-cost/special-order colors are not rare if you go to shows and check out the data plates. I'm sure there are plenty of other colors, like black, that are rarer yet they were not extra-cost colors. It's no different in the Mopar world - you had to spend a few bucks extra to order a High Impact color like Plum Crazy. As it stands, that color was the most popular color for the 1970 Challenger and was popular on other performance Mopars.

Ordering a Sebring Yellow 442 was no different than ordering power windows - you paid for the option.
.....and that makes the car special...you could order from the dealer a 455,headers,intake carb,duals etc etc, But not a lot of people did. That is what makes a car unique.The highest motor in a 69 Camaro was the 396. Why are there 427 Camaros?Because it was special order.And any of these cars are becoming rarer.
Ted
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by sammy
.....and that makes the car special...you could order from the dealer a 455,headers,intake carb,duals etc etc, But not a lot of people did.
You mean dealer-installed items?

That's a whole different conversation. Has nothing to do with this.

That is what makes a car unique.The highest motor in a 69 Camaro was the 396. Why are there 427 Camaros?Because it was special order.And any of these cars are becoming rarer.
Ted
How are 427 Camaros becoming rarer?

Regardless, 427 Camaros are also a different topic. For one thing, Chevrolet made the 427 available for the Camaro. Who made Rallye Green available on the F-85? Certainly not Olds.
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:29 AM

I guess this whole debate centers around the term special option. If the option had a RPO, was listed and you could order it, its not a special option. That term didnt even exist, there were no secret order books with hidden options that the general public never knew about. Some cars have certain popular options and some do not.

As for that 65 that B-J sold, I wouldnt believe a word those hucksters say. They do not verify cars, do not confirm even if they are real. Examples being a certain Camaro Ron Pratt bought that was a "rebody" and a certain JFK ambulance that was used in a JFK movie and not in Dallas on that fateful day.

FYI, the dealer would not paint a car to complete a sale. You would have to pay them to paint it or you werent getting that car. This fallacy of factories building whatever you wanted and dealers installing rocket boosters to sell a car is getting out of hand.
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Always room for one more

Scot I think that's it in a nutshell. Getting the Brass to sign off on what you want. If the factory had it -somewhere- and you got the okay the car would get built. That's not to say you wouldn't have to pay for it.

A fairly well known car in the Ford circle is a 67 Country Squire with a top loader 4speed. That trans wasn't available in the wagon, but the guy who ordered it wrote to Lee I. himself and Lee okayed it. Along with the top loader, the wagon also got unavailable bucket seats and sport console. This car was his compromise between needing a family car and wanting a hot rod.

I worked at a Chevy place in the 80s and they would get approval for some odd color combinations. As long as the owner of the dealership said it was for his personal use or promotion they would build it.

If this is too hijacked, go ahead and delete me!
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:05 PM

None of the examples above - Ming Jade W-30, Rallye Green W-31, or even his '72 Cutlass Supreme - would be in the same vein as that Ford.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old May 17th, 2012, 05:36 PM

Yep!
Old May 18th, 2012, 03:41 AM
70' W-30 Convertible

Very good article on the special order colors. The owner of the dealership where my car was sold new said the special order paint was $50.00 his cost and a side benefit was that 442's ordered through this program did not count against his allotment number.

Richard.
Old May 26th, 2012, 05:07 AM
The Tin Man

Sorry it took so long. Like I said. Dads 71 44,xxx miles S.O new and he still ownes. Been some chages over the years. but still weres it org paint.the top has been replaced.but there she is.
Attached Images
BIG BLUE2.jpg (65.4 KB, 51 views)
BIG BLUE3.jpg (54.4 KB, 43 views)
BIG BLUE4 (1).jpg (95.5 KB, 45 views)
BIG BLUE5.jpg (99.0 KB, 44 views)
BIG BLUE1.jpg (83.7 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by The Tin Man; May 26th, 2012 at 05:15 AM. Reason: forgot pics
Old May 26th, 2012, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Tin Man
Sorry it took so long. Like I said. Dads 71 44,xxx miles S.O new and he still ownes. Been some chages over the years. but still weres it org paint.the top has been replaced.but there she is.
THAT is a beautiful Olds!!
Old May 26th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Originally Posted by lsutigers93
THAT is a beautiful Olds!!
+ 1

I wouldn't mind seeing some more pics of it.
Old May 29th, 2012, 04:32 AM
The Tin Man

The royal was S.O. and he had to wait awhile to get it. He drove it for 5 years we used it to tow a camper lol. Then in 75 he was going to trade it in. He a mom went to look at the 75 royal conv and they didn't like them thats when he said i will keep it. Like i said the car has been to a few nats shows. ( placed every time) The last nat show it went to the judge said nice wheels to bad they are not stock. We have the books.for the car and a pic of the old man when he was not old picking it up at the dealer. So it has never been back to the nats. It is cool to see the car i grew up in went to the drive in in. Took grand ma out to dinner in, familay picnics Its still there and looks great it is part of our family and we all love it. It may not get used like it should which is sad but dad keeps her in a bubble and it looks happy there.
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Wow Scott, you've got some impressive info and pictorial displays on this thread. I was surprised to see how much info you've collected so far about special orders and Olds.
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:33 AM
The Tin Man

He has every thing that came with the car.Widow sticker,dealer book that he ordered out of not a flea market find. The build sheet is still under the back seat and he has th reciet from the dealer he bought it from.
Old June 1st, 2012, 05:11 AM
The Tin Man

Would like to but not my car still fill like a littel kid asking toplay with daddys toy. lol All the paper work is in the truck so may be able to scan some of it. (I took me awhile to get pics on here) Tinman
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:43 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Not sure if anything, but from the build sheet from my 70 CS, it has a Y68 Color Comp Ex and a bypass code 2. Box 108'protect o plate,reads Bypass 974D, and paint E2 ?
Love to know what that meant,
Car was a Freemont build and sequence no 891' built Aug, 1969

Ted
Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ted, post a pic of the build sheet. Can't remember if you did that earlier, but it will prolly help Scot with his quest for Special Order documentation.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:11 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

70 Build Sheet

bottom left corner is the bypass code - hopefully you can see it
Y68 colour comp EX
more interested in the 974 bypass
hope you can help

Thanks

Ted
Attached Images
Build Sheet Feb 28th 009.jpg (69.4 KB, 24 views)
Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Scot,
It has strato buckets - that's on the build sheet far left side. There are 2 references to GOLD on the boxes but I can't make out whether that's for trim or not. Ted will be along shortly with an answer I'm sure.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:29 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

974 bypass? Does it have Gold Strato buckets by chance?
Yup, the buckets were gold when I got the car, I recovered them black
Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:53 PM

I now have reason to believe why we cannot find build sheets in Lansing built cars. They didn't use them, instead they used body and chassis broadcast copy paperwork instead.
They used them, they were in the trash can at the end of the line. Ask the guys that worked there
Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by davebw31
Yo Guys
Olds DID NOT put the Broadcast Chassis Build sheet in the cars built in the Lansing Assembly Plant, at least from 68-73 when I worked there. I always saw them in the trash barrel near the rollers where they checked engine/trans/driveability. Don't know about other plants.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:10 PM
Trying to remember member

Depends on what they call build sheets. Here is a quote from one top notch guy in the GM auto industry
You need to listen to the right people. If you'd look around and observe, you'd see build sheets from other plants *in 1965* like mine from Kansas City, and you'd be able to determine for yourself that your "top notch GM guy" doesn't know what he's talking about.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:08 PM

Talking Paperwork

I have and I now believe you guys are chasing your tails looking for something that never was. A unicorn brother.

Here is a copy of the chassis broadcast "build sheet" (if you will) from Lansing courtesy of 1969w3155

Here is a copy of a body broadcast "build sheet" (If you will) also from Lansing from gator69olds

Here is the only build sheet(s) you'll find from Fremont and a few other plants

I might not be the brightest bulb in the house, but I ain't the dimmest either. You won't find one like this from a period built Lansing car because they used the old style. Believe what you want and unless I see one from Lansing from the stated period, this is who I will listen to about this issue. IMO case closed on the tail chasing LOL
962b73d1.jpg

Here's another one
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:41 PM

Smile

And yes Lansing threw most of these away. I think you will find more body broadcast sheet(s) (cards) than chassis because they did throw them out. Gator69olds has one of if not the most documented '69 H/O in the world IMO.
Just wanted to say thanks for the complement on my documents. I know now how lucky I am to have what I have.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:44 PM

Gator, That's way nice. Thanks for posting
Old June 23rd, 2012, 04:17 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

974 bypass? Does it have Gold Strato buckets by chance?
hope you can read the picture of this build sheet better. I couldn't send you a private message with attachment. Any help would be great. With bypass code, I'm referring to trim and paint.

Thanks

Ted
Attached Images
Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Scot,
The word Bypass is in box 108-protect o plate

974D is in Trim box

And E2 is in box titled paint

The trim could read 974DE , leaving 2 alone in the paint box- hard to say

Ted
Old June 24th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

I'm thinking since it was an export to Canada is why the BYPASS is there. I don't think Canadian exports received American Protect-O-Plates, if they got a Protect-O-Plate I would think they would be issued through the particular Canadian Zone. This is just merely a guess, but I should have a definite answer soon. Also you can get the complete scoop on this car through here
Scot,
Got that info from Zapora at vintage services
The Y68 was a custom appearance package.Have not been able to find out any more on that
The 974 was gold buckets.The DE then 2 I have no info about.
Thanx, Ted
Old June 24th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Thanks Scot for your help.The car was 58H Burnished Gold with Gold vinyl roof. The interesting thing is that the interior , as far as I can tell, was gold with white accents , headrests, console,arm rests both front and back and the rubber around the rearview mirror. Maybe part of the Y68 custom appearance package car was ordered with-hence the 974DE 2......

Thanx,
Ted
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:25 PM

Okay Ted. I think what BYPASS means is that since it was a Canadian import from a California assembly plant, that it didn't have to pass the California emissions since it was to be exported from the U.S.
So did cars built in California but destined to other states receive a BYPASS too?

Quick Reply: Special Order Cars