General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Slab? Wtf?

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2016, 07:58 PM

Slab? Wtf?

Can someone explain this ridiculosness
Is this how popular on US??

Old January 20th, 2016, 08:09 PM

Never seen this, seems to be Houston TX & maybe Los Angeles areas. Perhaps other big cities. But not where I live. Different.......verrrrrrry different

Brett
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:12 PM
Old School Olds

I don't get it either. To each their own I suppose.
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:47 PM
same but different

I understand continental kits but not the James Bond 007 tire rippers...Hmm.

Popular? never seen it in the sticks.

After further review..Its a Houston thang.

http://www.houstonpress.com/music/10...parade-6495494

Last edited by don71; January 20th, 2016 at 08:52 PM. Reason: review
Old January 21st, 2016, 03:11 AM
Lansing built

Any of the "trends" will end up killing the value of the car. I talked to a few dealers in Lansing and they tell me the same thing, customizing limits the potential customer base.

Pat
Old January 21st, 2016, 03:21 AM

Nope have not seen this in Kansas.
Old January 21st, 2016, 03:38 AM
Maintained

packs of red cars & blue cars mostly.

Is this wat the bloods and crips at taday?
Old January 21st, 2016, 06:09 AM

Wonder how many rip their shins on the wheel spinners. Worse then walking into a trailer hitch.
Old January 21st, 2016, 06:23 AM

Like the lady said when she kissed the cow, " It's all a matter of taste"
Old January 21st, 2016, 06:46 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I've never seen anything like this.

Are the police cars there because they're being arrested for creating a public hazard with those wheels?

- Eric
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:15 AM

maybe a funeral,the trunks that were open had things written on the underside of the lid, rip to someone.
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:15 AM

That's America for you. Freedom of Speech.
Old January 21st, 2016, 09:03 AM

Isn't it the goal to be as flashy and obnoxious as possible?There's no law against being obnoxious, I just don't understand why. JMO.
Old January 21st, 2016, 12:20 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

A bunch of car guys on a different page to (most of) us showing off their pride and joys.
I don't care for what the cars have been turned into, but clearly heaps of time and money have been sunk into them.
They are behaving in an exemplary manner as far as I can tell, and the local law enforcement officers are making sure public safety isn't compromised.

So good luck to them I say. I hope they would have a similar view if they came across a classic car show.

Roger.
Old January 21st, 2016, 12:45 PM

Apparently it's mostly in Houston and is a hip-hop black and Mexican thing. I'm not sure why black culture is always so loud and garish, but perhaps it appeals to them to put on such glamorous perceptions of wealth (big and shiny.) I personally find it a little childish and akin to walking slowly down the middle of the street blocking traffic.

I think these are better than slammed hydraulic cars, because they can be saved. I intend to save pre-73 442 that has been donked out some day.
Old January 21st, 2016, 02:16 PM

You gots to have your elboze, my man! erspecially on da "Nawfside"

"Just so you know, that low, persistent rumbling you feel in your gut this Sunday afternoon will have nothing to do with the Whataburger you pounded down at 3 a.m. the night before. It'll be the ultrasonic bass emanating from the popped trunks of 50 customized vehicles swangin' through Third Ward as part of the city's very first SLAB Parade and Family Festival at MacGregor Park.

What's a SLAB, you ask? Well, first off, thanks for visiting Houston, and we recommend that you check out Frenchy's Chicken before you have to leave. According to the Houston Arts Alliance Folklife + Traditional Arts Program, the Houston Museum of African-American Culture and Workshop Houston -- the triple partnership putting on the festival -- a SLAB is commonly an older-model American sedan enhanced by glossy paint, plush interiors and flashy rims. That '84 Cadillac with wire-spoke wheels and purple candy paint you passed on U.S. 59 South? SLAB, homie.

Don't get it twisted: We're not talking about West Coast low-riders or simple hoopties here. The SLAB is an H-Town thing, identified by markers such as a superfluous fifth wheel on back, neon lights in the open trunk and TV screens jumping up out the dash. And if it ain't got those swangers poking out -- "elbows," they're called -- it ain't a SLAB, baby.

"SLABs are a uniquely Houston expression developed in the Sunnyside neighborhood in the '80s and '90s," says Pat Jasper, the HAA's Director of Folklife and Traditional Arts. "Lots of people say SLAB is an acronym for 'slow, low and bangin',' but many say they're called that because they're just this giant slab of a car.

"Lots of songs sing directly about the SLABs or reference the SLABs," she adds. "For instance, on Beyonce's latest CD she does a shout-out to Houston where she references SLABs and proclaims her homegirl-ness."

10 Swang-and-Bang Anthems for Sunday's SLAB Parade
The idea of a public celebration of this very peculiar regional art form was first proposed by Langston Wilkins, Houston native and Ph.D candidate at Indiana University's Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology, who did his fieldwork with the HAA and wrote his master's dissertation on Houston hip-hop culture. The HAA and HMAAC ran with the idea, resulting in a family-friendly festival in the park featuring music, spoken-word and dance performances alongside a parade of 50 pimpmobiles down Griggs and Calhoun to the park from MLK.

Though the uninitiated might see a SLAB and assume the driver is slangin' dope, it's far more likely he's just a regular dude with an artistic bent and an expensive hobby, Wilkins says.

"I really hope people see SLAB as an urban art form," he offers. "The SLAB community has kind of a negative perception in the public. I want people to see that this is a culture of hard-working men and women who like to invest extra funds in their cars. That's a very American thing."

No doubt. But if you're a little light on funds yourself, you can still prepare for the parade by experiencing SLAB culture through the sounds of Houston hip-hop. For those who would ride on '84s, we present the ultimate H-Town SLAB playlist:

10. Paul Wall feat. Big Pokey, "Sittin' Sidewayz" Perhaps no Houston rapper takes more delight in local SLAB culture than Paul Wall. In this breakthrough solo hit from 2005, the People's Champ offers a comprehensive primer on Houston hip-hop culture -- centering, naturally, on the almighty big-body Cadillac on swangers. To hear Paul tell it, you don't have to pull gals inside the club to get respect. If you want to turn heads, it's all about being the undisputed king of the parking lot instead.

9. J-Dawg feat. Slim Thug, "Ride on 4's" Boss Hogg Outlawz capo J-Dawg manages to perfectly capture the spirit of swangin' on this Nawfside anthem. Rather than gangbangin' or doin' dirt, J prefers to relax by rolling his candy-coated car through the hood, listening to music with friends and maybe taking a couple puffs of something or other along the way -- just remember to keep those tinted windows rolled up!

As always, the real SLAB rider must be sittin' on fours, the highly-sought '84 Cadillac rims that mark a true money-makin' hustla's ride. To confirm as such, the Big Boss himself, Slim Thug, checks in to show the world that he's blessed every time his voice is up in your deck."
Old January 21st, 2016, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Ummmmmm... ok
Old January 21st, 2016, 02:42 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Octania
And if it ain't got those swangers poking out -- "elbows," they're called -- it ain't a SLAB, baby.
So, those dangerous protruding sharp spinning things are legal?!?

I'm afraid I'm just not well acculturated.

- Eric
Old January 21st, 2016, 04:05 PM

Curb feeler...
...Flesh shredder
semantics, right?

Brett
Old January 21st, 2016, 04:15 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Start at 3:00:

- Eric
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:33 PM
Photoshop God

This started in the 80s and I and apparently a lot of other people have never heard or seen this? Weird. Not my thing, but I like to the creativity and anything that keeps the hobby going.
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:41 PM

"By the way, my name is Bond, Ja-" "Uh huh."
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:48 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by DewChugr
... anything that keeps the hobby going.
Well, maybe not ANYthing ...
Old January 21st, 2016, 09:26 PM
Senior Moment Member

Ben Hur would be proud!
Old January 25th, 2016, 09:58 PM
Tastefully Hooped

They call them "Swangas" on the street. The original 30 spoke Cragar Starwires started that trend in SoCal back in the late 70's when candy painted lowriders used to roll on Tru-Spokes, Tru-Rays & old school Appliance wires. I remember reading somewhere that the Cragar Starwire Swangas were a dealer installed option on some early 80's caddy's. The original 15" 30 spoke Swangas look nice on the right ride... like that black caddy in the 2nd pic. I'm sure they'd look better on a classic full size lowered Oldsmobile. I pulled a set of rusted out 30 spokers from an uber rare 81 Gucci optioned caddy some guy was parting out on Craig's about 12 years ago. I sold the rusted out set for $500. I'm pretty sure they're being repopped now.
Attached Images
File Type: png
image.png (459.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (94.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by L77F85; January 25th, 2016 at 10:02 PM.