General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

engine pad stamp: wtf ?

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2010, 06:31 PM

engine pad stamp: wtf ?

Every day I learn something new....I thought all 396021F blocks had a serial stamping on the pad in the front on the driver's side....I've seen plenty, which for example would indicate whether the motor was matching numbers.

I never checked my own pad before because I already knew the motor wasn't matching...but i got curious about the year of the block expecting the second digit to indicate year.

But instead, clear as day i see this:

L2E D

The D actually is much larger and immediately to the right of both rows, taking up as much height as both combined...but I couldn't place it well in this note.

The only thing I am not sure about is the E...three horizontal lines are clear but I can't make out the single vertical line of the E.

What's that all mean ?
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by VikingBlue

What's that all mean ?
Any factory installed motor had to have the VIN derivative stamp due to federal requirements starting with the 1968 model year. Yours sounds like it might have been a marine block. Olds sold a lot of 455s for boat installations.
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Trying to remember member

[QUOTE=joe_padavano; Yours sounds like it might have been a marine block. [/QUOTE]

Also possibly a service replacement block. They would come to the dealer (for dealer installation or over the counter sale) with blank pads. I've seen numerous cases where engine builders/rebuilders would stamp codes and blocks that they have done. To id them, I presume.
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:12 AM

-

thanks guys...I wanted to meet you in Mass but didn't have much time to mingle since I was there with my young kids. Maybe you saw be pushing around a double stroller with two whiney kids in it.

I was eating at the BBQ joint up the road when Joe drove by towing the wagon...but I didn't see the wagon in the lot on Thursday afternoon, and I left Thursday night.
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
I've seen numerous cases where engine builders/rebuilders would stamp codes and blocks that they have done. To id them, I presume.
very true. i have built over 100 ATV engines and every one i did from 99 to now has my name and code on them. after a bike has ben sold several times after i build it they can call me and see what is in there engine after i was done with it.