General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Re-stamped w parts

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2016, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by marxjunk
not your fault..you where deceived..explain it and make it right,...everyone here knows you are a straight shooter...maybe he will understand and work with ya...

ty sir for the kind words and help- Dean
Old January 18th, 2016, 07:54 PM
morgan

Sorry to hear about your troubles Dean the resoloution on my phone is poor but i will offer my 2 cents about the numbers, this whole mess is what i have talked about in the past about fake/forged/restamp parts....sure there is no problem if you make it and tell the orig buyer that its afake but that part or car makes its way down the road to the next few buyers and dont anyone try telling me the bullshit 'let the buyer beware'. The problem is people know these parts are fake
Old January 18th, 2016, 08:06 PM

every day..people become more educated...as the prices go up...so does suspicion
Old January 19th, 2016, 06:29 AM
morgan

I have to say i have not seen a ''4'' look like that on a 69 carb but i did not go thru any of my 69 carbs for comparision as its to cold outside but the 4 is not correct but it is in the correct location for the date, i think depending on the level of attention at a given moment this could be missed. if i see a bunch of original carbs with that font then i could say its not fake. what does puzzle me though is why someone would restamp a 4 like that and not use a 4 that is known to be used as correct
Old January 19th, 2016, 06:35 AM
morgan

Originally Posted by oldsw31
Dean I was told that the carb was the real deal I don't understand why this is being brought up after all these years. I have seen you since that time an you have never said anything to me about it. As years go on we all learn more info on things I probley new as much as you did back than. I do not buy an sell parts on a regular basis. I just love the oldsmobile an that's about it . Also don't know why you have to say my name . Why can't it just be I think I bought a carb that wasnt correct. You act like I sells tons of parts. But than again I think now I know we're this is all comming from. Got to tell you this has come to be a big surprise to me about you. Never what of thought this but hey you never know people right
i'm not answering for Dean but if i bought it from you and had to explain it down the road YOU are the one that sold it so its fair game to call you out as the seller. weather you you knew about it to be fake at this point that is not accepted as of what has been said

Last edited by pogo69; January 19th, 2016 at 09:18 AM. Reason: spell check
Old January 19th, 2016, 06:41 AM

i dont know either..but i have never seen it on any olds carb either or pontiac..or chevy..and i have a bunch of cores...but nothing rare or HP...i have some 69-72 buick carbs that are plain nothing and no reason to restamp and they all have the pointed 4

like i stated before i have seen it on stage1 carbs,,and the older buick guys say its right at about 50-50..some argue its right some say no way...i am personally on the no way list, until proven or discovered positively.
Old January 19th, 2016, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
**** poor reproduction decal and not one of mine.
1971 W-30 Convertible with fake / reproduction OW trans tag.

344671M159517
Old January 19th, 2016, 08:11 AM

Fraud sucks!

Here is an authentic 255 UD 1969 W-31 Carb, that was taken off the car when it was a few years old and stored in a barn. I bought the car and the original carb from the original owner. The first set of pics are after I soaked it in my secret potion.
Old January 19th, 2016, 08:22 AM

292255 UD W-31 Carb

292255 UD W-31 Carb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1969 W31 carburetor 255 037.JPG (684.0 KB, 32 views)
1969 W31 carburetor 255 018.JPG (744.5 KB, 31 views)
1969 W31 carburetor 255 038.JPG (653.8 KB, 36 views)
1969 W31 carburetor 255 034.JPG (682.8 KB, 46 views)
1969 W31 carburetor 255 019.JPG (699.8 KB, 34 views)
1969 W31 carburetor 255 021.JPG (637.4 KB, 27 views)
1969 W31 carburetor 255 030.JPG (637.4 KB, 27 views)
1969 W31 carburetor 255 023.JPG (712.8 KB, 28 views)
1969 W31 carburetor 255 026.JPG (701.2 KB, 28 views)
Old January 19th, 2016, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by oldsw31
Dean I was told that the carb was the real deal I don't understand why this is being brought up after all these years. I have seen you since that time an you have never said anything to me about it. As years go on we all learn more info on things I probley new as much as you did back than. I do not buy an sell parts on a regular basis. I just love the oldsmobile an that's about it . Also don't know why you have to say my name . Why can't it just be I think I bought a carb that wasnt correct. You act like I sells tons of parts. But than again I think now I know we're this is all comming from. Got to tell you this has come to be a big surprise to me about you. Never what of thought this but hey you never know people right

I received an email notification that you replied but subsequently it appears you erased it.
Now either you dont have much conviction in your argument or perhaps someone told you to remove the post.

I explained why this was brought up and didnt realize there was a ceiling of time allowed to identify fraudulent parts or make whol on them. I had all intentions of approaching you once it was confirmed, which it appears it is now. I say that in conjunction with other opinions and the fact you are not refuting it. I just want the person I sold it to taken care of which will happen one way or the other.

Never gave insight as to your past knowledge, selling/buying of parts and or your love for Oldsmobile's. In shorter terms wasnt getting subjective.

I brought up your name because it was asked where I got it. If you know you are innocent what does it matter, not once did I say you intentionally sold me a fake carb. Rather the carb I bought from you is not authentic.

Never said you sell ton of parts nor would I know.

Please enlighten me where this is coming from other than I have to give explanation to the person I sold it to. Careful Scott I'm sure Steve warned you your getting into deep waters here. If you are going to challenge me, best back it up.

Again cant have much conviction the fact you removed post.

Big surprise about me really didnt realize you knew me that well. But far as your generic statement it goes both ways except I never claimed to know you that well.
Old January 19th, 2016, 11:07 AM

Im confused. You bought a carb 6 years ago from Scott, and now 6 years later you sold it, and the guy you sold it too had someone look at it and it seems to be a re-stamp. So with that said, you now are pointing fingers at 2 people who have the highest intergrity of anyone on this site claiming they fully knew it was a re-stamp???? I can understand when you purchase used parts and they dont turn out to be what they should have, but i can guarantee you NEITHER Scott or Steve would ever consider selling a part they were fully aware was not what they claimed it was. I think its very apparent here that Steve takes more pride in this "oldsmobile thing" that we are all into, then anyone ive ever met so pointing a finger at him is basically saying he knew it was a re-stamp is getting a bit out of control considering his job as an "oldsmobile authenticator" is doing exactly that....finding and pointing out what is real and what is re-stamped. Do yo think he got to where he is today by helping to flood the market with fake parts? I dont think so. I know Scott and Steve personally. It wouldnt happen, bottom line.
Old January 19th, 2016, 11:37 AM

See the problem is **** flows downhill. There have been a number of members here that have eaten the cost of re-stamped parts whether they knew they were legitimate or not. I personally don't think you should be held accountable if you sell something in good faith and then it turns out to be counterfeit.

The person that bought it from Dean is obviously thinks he should. Dean is simply seeing what his recourse is.

It's only fraud if there was intent to deceive. The term "buyer beware" has now become "I'll beware and if I don't do my due diligence and get burned I'm going to sue you anyway"

Old January 19th, 2016, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by TicTocTach
Im confused. You bought a carb 6 years ago from Scott, and now 6 years later you sold it, and the guy you sold it too had someone look at it and it seems to be a re-stamp. So with that said, you now are pointing fingers at 2 people who have the highest intergrity of anyone on this site claiming they fully knew it was a re-stamp???? I can understand when you purchase used parts and they dont turn out to be what they should have, but i can guarantee you NEITHER Scott or Steve would ever consider selling a part they were fully aware was not what they claimed it was. I think its very apparent here that Steve takes more pride in this "oldsmobile thing" that we are all into, then anyone ive ever met so pointing a finger at him is basically saying he knew it was a re-stamp is getting a bit out of control considering his job as an "oldsmobile authenticator" is doing exactly that....finding and pointing out what is real and what is re-stamped. Do yo think he got to where he is today by helping to flood the market with fake parts? I dont think so. I know Scott and Steve personally. It wouldnt happen, bottom line.
Not much to be confused about , bought it from 6 years ago decided not to use. I sold it 3 years ago. Again not seeing where there is statue of limitations far as parts that are now deemed non authentic.

Pointing fingers not sure where pointing fingers is coming simply identified who I originally purchased from. Not once dd I say Scott intentionally sold a fraudulent part to me. Might want to go thru thread again.

Steve currently has nothing to do w this and has personally reached me out to call him, very well Of Steve's history believe me. Furthermore Steve was never mentioned as selling the part so why are you referencing him as the seller?

Again did not point a finger at him.
Where in this thread did I say anyone for that matter is flooding the market w fake parts.

I know because you know them personally this would not happen, wow sounds like you know then.
Old January 19th, 2016, 11:41 AM
morgan

dont ever put yourself into someones head and THINK you know what their brain is doing
Old January 19th, 2016, 12:11 PM

Morgan that makes complete sense
Old January 19th, 2016, 12:13 PM

I agree that Allyolds is 100% correct. Being i know Scott well i 100% believe that he sold it in good faith and if Dean is now having an issue, call Scott and speak with him. If Scott feels the need to address it, then that is Scotts perogative to do so. If not, that is 100% ok to go that route also as it was purchased 6 years ago. It wasnt a month or even a year ago. 6. It just sounds to me Dean that now you are back peddleing. You made a clean and clean comment that "Steve knew i bought it" and thats all you had to say. You didnt need to straight say "steve knew i bought it so he must have known it was a re-stamp" so now you can turn around (like you are doing) and say... i never said steve or scott knowingly sold me a fake part, or, im not pointing a finger at him. You pointed the finger when you said "Steve knew i bought it". My point is, if you had an issue and wanted to discuss it, you should have messaged/called Scott first and formost. Not get on here and point fingers, claim your not pointing fingers, bring someones name up, and then claim they have nothing to do with it.
Old January 19th, 2016, 01:08 PM
MOTORHEAD

The buck stops where???
who sold the bogus part into the food chain should pay the piper

1minute
10years

does not matter
honest injun

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Originally Posted by 11971four4two
Hey Mister

what goes on with you / yours??

i just got back onto this site
and someone sold dean some bunk???
'

keep the shiny side up
b

I know Dean pretty well and I can tell you he didn't knowingly sell a fraudulent part. As much as I agree with you that the original offender should be responsible it isn't practical or legal to pursue it any further than asking "pretty please". Unfortunately you make your deals and if you make them poorly or with bad judgement that's your tough luck. This guy coming back after Dean 3 years later is a bunch of crap. Of course IMO Dean shouldn't have paraded it out in a public forum without contacting the guy he bought it from 6 years ago either. JMO
So Dean gets defrauded??
Who even knows if it is the same box of spam
i would not imply in any shape way / form that is was Deans burden

tax the *** that sold him the carb

can you hear me now

Last edited by 11971four4two; January 19th, 2016 at 02:05 PM. Reason: dont ever put yourself into someones head and THINK you know what their brain is doing
Old January 19th, 2016, 02:44 PM

I agree that Allyolds is 100% correct. Being i know Scott well i 100% believe that he sold it in good faith and if Dean is now having an issue, call Scott and speak with him. If Scott feels the need to address it, then that is Scotts perogative to do so. If not, that is 100% ok to go that route also as it was purchased 6 years ago. It wasnt a month or even a year ago. 6. It just sounds to me Dean that now you are back peddleing. You made a clean and clean comment that "Steve knew i bought it" and thats all you had to say. You didnt need to straight say "steve knew i bought it so he must have known it was a re-stamp" so now you can turn around (like you are doing) and say... i never said steve or scott knowingly sold me a fake part, or, im not pointing a finger at him. You pointed the finger when you said "Steve knew i bought it". My point is, if you had an issue and wanted to discuss it, you should have messaged/called Scott first and formost. Not get on here and point fingers, claim your not pointing fingers, bring someones name up, and then claim they have nothing to do with it.

back peddling really , initiating a query and to see what can be done is not back peddling

I know I pointed the finger at Steve per you problem here is you you dont have enough info. Why because you werent there then or know the particulars which I will be more than happy to share.

And again Steve was referenced because at the time time we did not know each other became friendly that following winter. So my statement was an open statement if he possibly knew about the origin of it. That is not pointing fingers, so go ask him what he wants you to say know now since clearly you just didnt stumble on this thread. Or have him call me if he feels so violated.
Old January 19th, 2016, 04:43 PM
MOTORHEAD

Re: 31
Hi to he honest with you I really don't know what's going on . I had sold Dean a carb 6 years ago that I thought it was a legit carb I guess it wasn't this is what being said. I really don't come on classic olds much but I put a comment down an took it back because I didn't want to start some big type of debate . Even dean I think has said that I most likely didn't know it was not legit. I think it's stupid for this guy to come back at dean after 3 years an know it's comming back to me after 6 years man 6 years is a long time. I even said to dean we probably new the same info back than an I probably could tell you if it's real or not today. Im not really big into knowing if everything looks wright with numbers an what not. I know t h e numbers an codes of oldsmobiles but that about it . To sum it all up the list could go back an on an on an i don't know who restaped it . all I know is it wasn't me. This Is all news to me hope everything works out well I have also reached out to dean. If I was the guy I wouldnt have even come back to dean after 3 years on it but that's just me .

Thanks in advance
Old January 19th, 2016, 04:45 PM
MOTORHEAD

sorry
you must pay
Old January 19th, 2016, 04:57 PM

I already knew you were going to post it . Well what I said was the truth . This just goes to show you . I don't even know you you. You private message me to try to trick me even though I knew this is what you were going to do . This is a real problem here an it seems were playing games. This is why I didn't want to say anything. I've reached out to dean he is more than welcome to call me . I'm done
Old January 19th, 2016, 05:02 PM
MOTORHEAD

you must own up
really want to talk to me\

612-325 8555
anytime
Old January 19th, 2016, 05:32 PM

If I was the guy I wouldnt have even come back to dean after 3 years on it but that's just me .
X2. Only time I would disagree is if one was found to do it on many occasions with the intent to deceive.
Old January 19th, 2016, 05:40 PM
MOTORHEAD

eric
you have my phone
go stroke yourself
Old January 19th, 2016, 05:53 PM

eric
you have my phone
go stroke yourself
Me??? What the heck did I do? I must be out of the loop on something here?
Old January 19th, 2016, 05:59 PM
MOTORHEAD

still disturbed
oblique

sign \
Old January 19th, 2016, 06:26 PM

I think I see what happened now. Sorry, Didn't mean to offend anyone.
Old January 19th, 2016, 06:33 PM

Me and Scott have reached a mutual agreement with regards to this.
Old January 19th, 2016, 07:34 PM

good..its done and over...lets move to something constructive..if Dean is happy..its over and should be left alone...

i dug thru some carbs. i have some orig stuff thats not in high demand. i am going to get pics together, and post so we have an idea what original fonts..the code format and whats good and bad so people can make decisions of whats right for them...all it takes is a little observations, comparisons and most people can make decisions themselves

i have some 68...69..70 orig carbs and some service replacement stuff and even a couple batch stamped...i will get it together and get it posted over the weekend
Old January 20th, 2016, 07:34 AM
morgan

Dean, glad you have an agreement worked out
Old January 20th, 2016, 07:45 AM
morgan

Originally Posted by marxjunk
good..its done and over...lets move to something constructive..if Dean is happy..its over and should be left alone...

i dug thru some carbs. i have some orig stuff thats not in high demand. i am going to get pics together, and post so we have an idea what original fonts..the code format and whats good and bad so people can make decisions of whats right for them...all it takes is a little observations, comparisons and most people can make decisions themselves

i have some 68...69..70 orig carbs and some service replacement stuff and even a couple batch stamped...i will get it together and get it posted over the weekend
that would be good to see as for reference...thanks Mark.
I would like to mention that this has been a valuable topic for those that have read it I have noticed especially with the w-30 parts that the market is not flooded with so called original parts like it was prior to a a few years ago but I think about how many unsuspected people have bought or have unknowingly bought fakes that are still out there and believe are real....thanks for this post Dean
Old January 20th, 2016, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by dnmfranco
ty for opinion yeah I had a feeling it was a fake.

I bought this 6 years ago not knowing anything about carbs/authenticity.
Funny thing is I bought it from Scott Pierce who had it on 442.com not ebay.
Other funny thing when I bought he had the Hemmings car of the year Blue 69 W-31 which I heard is a clone. So I guess not surprised, problem is I owe someone an explanation now. I sold it 3 years ago and guy had someone look at it.
The blue 69 W-31 that was Hemmings Muscle Car of The Year was a clone? That's not the first time I have heard that either.
Old January 21st, 2016, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by pogo69
Dean, glad you have an agreement worked out
Ty Morgan, but for now it appears a lot of wasted energy as I have not heard from owner far as workout plan. But I am done nothing else more I can or will do.
Old January 21st, 2016, 06:29 AM
72 Olds CS

I wonder after 3 and 6 years how did/do you guys know it's the same carb? And if it is the same carb has it been altered ?
Old January 21st, 2016, 08:32 AM

I'm glad to hear that the issue between members is worked out.

I wouldn't be so quick to identify so many components as restamps, based on the limited data at hand. Having other carbs date coded and built the same day or time frame presents a better picture.

Things happened in between shifts and breaks at the plant 50+/- years ago that we cannot always be 100% certain about.

An original vintage restamped component will usually show that it has been altered. New components such as carbs are built blank and stamped after the fact, but these are usually very easy to pick out.

The key is to track where the components are coming from and see if they came from a known faker / stamper / Crook.
Old January 21st, 2016, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Stefano
I'm glad to hear that the issue between members is worked out.

I wouldn't be so quick to identify so many components as restamps, based on the limited data at hand. Having other carbs date coded and built the same day or time frame presents a better picture.

Things happened in between shifts and breaks at the plant 50+/- years ago that we cannot always be 100% certain about.

An original vintage restamped component will usually show that it has been altered. New components such as carbs are built blank and stamped after the fact, but these are usually very easy to pick out.

The key is to track where the components are coming from and see if they came from a known faker / stamper / Crook.

Since this thread started I have been looking at all the NON rare parts I can. we know the non rare parts are not restamped. I have discovered an amazing amount of consistency in known original stuff on 68 to 76 year parts. Only abnormal thing I have seen that were original are multi stamped engine blocks. I have seen that 4 times now and 3 of those were on 70 blocks.
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:40 PM
MOTORHEAD

happy now

it has always tore at me when the facts
parts on car / shelf matter
less than the red show car

b
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
The blue 69 W-31 that was Hemmings Muscle Car of The Year was a clone? That's not the first time I have heard that either.
That is what is being said, apparently cloned prior to Scott's ownership. I for one dont have enough info regarding that nor know where the car is present day.
Old January 21st, 2016, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I wonder after 3 and 6 years how did/do you guys know it's the same carb? And if it is the same carb has it been altered ?

same carb, I did not alter it nor did Phil. I had it and found one w correct date code. He never utilized it for a W-31 w no drivetrain, he subsequently bought a documented 31 and it has been sitting in his basement. He is someone who I habe managed to stay in touch with over the years. So wasnt a situation where we didnt talk for 3 years.
Old January 21st, 2016, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by dnmfranco
That is what is being said, apparently cloned prior to Scott's ownership. I for one dont have enough info regarding that nor know where the car is present day.
I have o plenty of info on that car.

Quick Reply: Re-stamped w parts