General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oil filter video

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2018, 05:54 AM

Oil filter video

I use to cut open my filters to look for "gold" when racing. I quit using "orange" filters many years ago after comparing them to NAPA/Wix. This video "says" it all but with visual.
Old December 23rd, 2018, 06:53 AM
Gary

Thanks for posting that video. It was informative to see comparisons of the inner construction of the filters in such detail.

One of the most important aspects of the filter is its ability to remove contaminants from the oil with a relatively low pressure drop. The video didn't touch on that.

I've read other tests that pointed to depth-media (non-paper) as having the best filtering ability.
Old December 23rd, 2018, 09:21 AM

This was not new info for me, I have not used Fram oil filters since I was about 20. I have never seen anyone open an oil filter with a grinder though. I have a filter cutter that easily and very cleanly slices the can from the base. I have always believed that Napa Gold was manufactured by Wix. I personally use Wix or Napa gold on our Duramax and my wife's Yukon, and Amsoil filters on my daily Roadmaster wagon and the '70 wagon (of course it is painted AC blue.. Ultimately I think that regular oil and filter changes are the key to engine longevity regardless of which brand one uses.
Old December 24th, 2018, 10:24 AM

Great , I picked up about 20 of these when Rockauto had a clearance sale. Guess it's time to toss those.
Old December 24th, 2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by zeeke
Great , I picked up about 20 of these when Rockauto had a clearance sale. Guess it's time to toss those.
I wouldn’t toss em, just use and change regularly
Old December 24th, 2018, 10:50 AM

I worked at various auto parts stores back in the 80s. The NAPA store had a display of various brand filters that were disassembled so you could see the internal differences. The NAPA / Wix filters were obviously manufactured to higher quality specifications compared to the others.
Old December 24th, 2018, 02:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hmmm, so that's why I buy Bosch for my wifes car. Great video. I change the oil every 2500 miles to ensure the engine stays healthy.
Most of the newer cars I've seen use a different cartridge that fits into a housing on the top end of the block.
Old December 24th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Allan R
Most of the newer cars I've seen use a different cartridge that fits into a housing on the top end of the block.
Our 2 , 2009 Pontiac G8's are now old but they have the oil filter housing on the top end of the block as mentioned.
Old December 24th, 2018, 03:38 PM

My other car has a cartridge on the bottom of the block. Makes it easy to change the filter along with the oil.

FYI, I change the oil every 7000 miles or 12 months. Usually it's 12 months and 5000 miles. Car currently has 120,000 miles and is like new.
Old December 24th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Running On Empty

Some of the better filters are the Northern Tissue "splinter free" variety.

Old December 24th, 2018, 05:38 PM

I cant speak for the stock Fram filters but I have never had an issue with the Fram Racing filters. I generally use Wix for performance engines because of availability .
On totally race engines I actually prefer a serviceable type of filter like System 1 that you can open and check after each race.

For stock engines I use OEM AC Delco, Motorcraft, etc......

To be honest with you if there is enough "junk" in the oil for the filter to have to catch then there is something else wrong. Almost any of the filters will catch the little bit of normal wear material in stock, daily driver type vehicles.
Old December 25th, 2018, 06:46 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
That's it Chief! The ultimate depth-type filter.
Old December 25th, 2018, 06:49 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief

Hahahahahaha, finally an oil filter that won't take crap from oil or an engine....... Merry Christmas!
Old December 25th, 2018, 06:51 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hahahahahaha, finally an oil filter that won't take crap from oil or an engine....... Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas! I actually changed these exact type filters on farm tractors back in the 1960s. Have a great day.
Old December 25th, 2018, 08:41 AM

Back in H.S. I had a 1955 Chevy 265 cu in, no oil filter. They had a kit to put an overhead "oil filter" on them that used a roll of toilet paper, not sure if Charmim was out back then, it's probably the Wix of toilet paper. Non-detergent oil was nasty if not changed regularly, sometimes you'd have to use a thin Phillips screwdriver to open up the drain hole and get out the chunks.
Old December 25th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I have cut open the Hastings and Auto Sense filters. They are built like the Wix inside, metal end caps and generous filter pleats. The Auto Sense filter is supposed to be made by Wix. They are both a good few dollars cheaper than other filters and are US and Canadian made. The only Fram filter I buy is the Ultra Guard Synthetic with metal end caps. They supposedly make the Mobil One filters as well, which I believe are still well constructed. That is one thing about the cartridge style filters, it is easy to see what you get.
Old December 25th, 2018, 09:01 AM

To be honest with you if there is enough "junk" in the oil for the filter to have to catch then there is something else wrong. Almost any of the filters will catch the little bit of normal wear material in stock, daily driver type vehicles.[/QUOTE]

This statement is very true!!
Old December 27th, 2018, 05:23 AM

On my Grand Marquis if I don’t use a quality filter I get the rapping sound of an empty filter on start up in the mornings. I usually use Motorcraft, it has a descent anti drain back valve that will keep the filter full of oil for a few days.
Old December 27th, 2018, 10:35 AM

I have always used the WIX 51049 oil filter for my A Body Olds V8's. (They actually will hold a quart of oil)
WIX Filters are always used on my farm/work equipment.
Old December 27th, 2018, 07:19 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Yep always use NAPA Gold, Wix, Baldwin and Mobil 1. Dont mix match synth and dino oil filters no matter which brand you use.
The main reason I stay away from the cheapos is I have witnessed plenty of collapsed and burst filters. Particularly on standby gen-sets diesel, gas and gaseous. Fortunately, most of them have oil pressure shut down switches. Saw one go up in flames due to a burst filter.
Old December 27th, 2018, 09:14 PM

I have never used any other filter than Fram. Never had any issues in multiple engines and many miles of service. My dad never used any filter other than Fram on his welding machines and he was a pipeline welder. Put hours and hours on his machines with never a problem. So in light of all of these filter teardown videos, I take them with a grain of salt and say as was stated before, if you need to filter anything other than common wear on your engine, you have bigger problems.