General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Not for those with weak stomachs...Arons 68 convertible

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
car guy

Aron there is a 4door 68 out in Greenville that might make a good donor car. Its priced too high but its been for sale for a loooong time. If someting is worked out I'll go pick it up for you.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2455242955.html
Old June 22nd, 2011, 02:14 PM

Aron, sorry to hear of your misfortune. That really sucks. The most important thing is that you were not more seriously hurt. I'd push real hard for a big settlement given your injuries and the fact that you don't know how these could affect you years later. If the at fault person's insurance company jerks you around, get an attorney.

Looks like you may have some an interesting story for JWO. Too bad it comes this way.

As bad as the car looks, I'm fairly certain it can be repaired. I've fixed worse. The frame is shot (looks like the tire is pretty close to where the cowl is) and I'm sure the cowl is pushed back. To me it's too nice of a car to part out so give thought to repairing it one of these days after you buy it back from the insurance company. I can walk you through the things you'll need to consider if you want any advice. Just PM me at some point if you do. Get well and keep Big Red in the family for another 20 years.
Brian
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:33 PM

When you get to feeling better, come by the house for a few brews and you're welcome to have any '68 stuff I have that you can use...

Joe
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Ouch, we hope everything is okay Aron. Sad sight to see alright. Let us know if you need anything.

Scot and Family
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM

Aron, hope you recover fully.....that is a shame.

Got to be careful aroung those arrogant Better Make Way (BMW) drivers.

Curious - were you wearing a seat belt at the time???
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:22 PM
Ben

Wow... that is just horrible.
Glad he made it through alive-
Metal can be fixed, Paint can be resprayed, and cars can be replaced. Take it easy and get better.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Aron there is a 4door 68 out in Greenville that might make a good donor car. Its priced too high but its been for sale for a loooong time. If someting is worked out I'll go pick it up for you.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2455242955.html
That works for the front sheet metal (though the hood on the more-door is different) and suspension, but of course the frame won't work. Not only is it unboxed, it's 4" longer in wheelbase. A-body convertible frames are available. Nice ones that have been blasted and painted carry about $2700 asking prices at Carlisle. Add $1800 for a donor car and labor, and Aron's estimate isn't far off.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That works for the front sheet metal (though the hood on the more-door is different) and suspension, but of course the frame won't work. Not only is it unboxed, it's 4" longer in wheelbase. A-body convertible frames are available. Nice ones that have been blasted and painted carry about $2700 asking prices at Carlisle. Add $1800 for a donor car and labor, and Aron's estimate isn't far off.
I was taking about bolt on parts and sheet metal. I know the frame is longer and not boxed.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 05:02 PM

Guys and Gals: You can't imagine how much it helps to read your posts!!! Still on the mend, at the physical therapists today, and more damage to my body than even I thought. Left shoulder is cropping up w/pain, so here we go! Am going to try and post a few other pictures to give you more idea of how badly BR was damaged. Still in a state of shock, and SO PO'd that the idiot turned right across in front of me. What part of RED could he not see????? Once again, thanks for your kind thoughts.
Aron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
065.jpg (72.1 KB, 90 views)
066.jpg (62.0 KB, 90 views)
067.jpg (75.9 KB, 82 views)
068.jpg (69.5 KB, 88 views)
069.jpg (84.9 KB, 90 views)
Old June 22nd, 2011, 05:26 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Wow total carnage!! This ought to make an interesting JWO article. I hope you recover fully Aron, in mind, body and material things.

Scot
Old June 22nd, 2011, 05:58 PM
Crazy Canuck

Sorry to see and hear this Aron. Take your time. I sense a 3 part article coming...
Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:19 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Aron, I don't want to sound like a wise guy, but it looks to me from your photos like the car did exactly what it was supposed to do - the front frame and sheet metal bent and absorbed the energy, but the passenger compartment stayed intact. Although you absorbed more energy than you should have, the car bent in a way that probably saved you from being killed. Thank it.

As far as the frame, you'd be amazed what a GOOD body man can do. It is possible that it could be straightened. If not, as mentioned already, it can be replaced. The car from the nose back doesn't look bad, and I think it can be fixed, though it will have to be measured and examined properly to be sure.

For whatever it's worth, when I was a kid, one of my father's side jobs was taking photographs of accident and crime scenes for lawyers. The idea was to show a jury what really went on and how things really looked. I remember a photo he took from a hundred feet away of a cigarette pack in the middle of a road, on the crest of a hill. It was in the exact place where a little girl had been struck and killed by a driver who claimed he "couldn't see her." When the time comes, this sounds like a case where a good lawyer should be able to humiliate the opposing company, which means that it will never get to trial, which means you will get paid.

My condolences once again, and my wishes for a speedy recovery.

- Eric
Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:25 PM

Aron, I feel for ya... I would be more than POed, and in fact feel that way for you now!
First the lady in CA, now this... Why the attack on nice old American iron??

I drive a red Caddy the same size as Red and its the same thing. People wont look at all. I guess drivers are toning out red, as judged by the number of red light runners around here.
I remember many close calls in all my cars. And on the bike? I had 5 such incidents in one night. Too many distractions for drivers these days.
That beemer driver might have had his/her nose up in the air too high and could not see the road!
The nice thing about these A bodies is that the frame IS replaceable if needed. Just a lot of work unfortunately.
My mom's 86 Cutlass was hit in front by a tractor trailer and it looked a lot worse than yours. Just the stuff in front was gone. A new front clip was added and the frame horns straightened and she got another 10 years out of it. Amazing.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:42 PM
GM Enthusiast

Aron,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Hope you get some good news on getting your car fixed too.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:45 PM

Sorry to hear about the car, Aron. But it is good to hear you are doing ok. Hopefully the car can be repaired.

Last edited by car_designer; June 22nd, 2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Guys and Gals: You can't imagine how much it helps to read your posts!!! Still on the mend, at the physical therapists today, and more damage to my body than even I thought. Left shoulder is cropping up w/pain, so here we go! Am going to try and post a few other pictures to give you more idea of how badly BR was damaged. Still in a state of shock, and SO PO'd that the idiot turned right across in front of me. What part of RED could he not see????? Once again, thanks for your kind thoughts.
Aron

Aron the more I look at those pictures the more I am glad you weren't hurt more. One heck of a hit.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:55 PM

Hi Aron
I don't know how far back the frame was damaged, but I do have a 1971 4 door frame that's got a very nice front to it. If you could use the front section that's fully boxed and splice it to your center sections I could cut it off and bring it to Reno. Just a thought. I've got pictures of it in the parts for sale section.

I also know of a car that looks very much like yours... unrestored. It's been sitting under a tarp for at least 3 years that I know of. I could knock on their door and see if they would be interested in selling it. Then you could swap over your interior, top, rear bumper, etc. etc.

I don't know if you physically feel like doing anything about the car right now, but when you do these are a couple ideas. John
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:42 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

First thing is that you are going to be OK. I can't believe this happened to you. The mental anguish has to be unbearable.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Hi Aron
I don't know how far back the frame was damaged, but I do have a 1971 4 door frame that's got a very nice front to it. If you could use the front section that's fully boxed and splice it to your center sections I could cut it off and bring it to Reno. Just a thought. I've got pictures of it in the parts for sale section.

I also know of a car that looks very much like yours... unrestored. It's been sitting under a tarp for at least 3 years that I know of. I could knock on their door and see if they would be interested in selling it. Then you could swap over your interior, top, rear bumper, etc. etc.

I don't know if you physically feel like doing anything about the car right now, but when you do these are a couple ideas. John
John, that's a good thought for the front section but that frame needs to be sent to the scrap heap. I have many years in the collision repair business and what happens to these frames on a hit like this is they "diamond" and are no longer square. Basically everything moves front to back. Sure, anything can be fixed but the effort and time to do it on this frame isn't worth it. A replacement frame is the best way to go. Instead of spending the crazy money people want to nice conv frames, I would use a hardtop frame as a starting point and use the conv frame boxing pieces off of the damaged one to conv the HT frame into a conv frame. The total investment to go this route will be significantly less than a conv replacement. In the end, both frames will be identical. Hmm, I think there was a post on here last week where someone in Michigan(?) was offering a nice HT frame from a 71 442 for free as long as the person hauled it off. Can't get any better than that!

It would be a shame to see this car go away and I hope a repair is seriously considered. As long as the engine and trans didn't sustain any cracks it should be a straight forward repair. Sometimes the trans case will break in a wreck like this and engine mounts can be torn off the block. Hopefully that didn't happen. Best thing for now is for Aron to get well, work on the claim and to keep the car in his possession.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:53 AM
CQR

Wow, those pics are sickening. I hope Aron looks worlds better than the car. What a shame. Best wishes for a full recovery for both.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:47 AM

Bummer -- take care of your health before worrying too much about the car. Hope the bimmer driver has good insurance. I new to the forum and recently bought a 69 cutlass vert, so PM me if you need an actual comp to help your case when the time comes.

BMW's are good cars but have a disproportionate % of a-hole drivers IMO.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by 442scotty
Get well soon...cars can be replaced...dont settle too soon on the bodily in jury part. Neck, back and spine injuries can create havok in later years...
You are so right, I was hit from behind in my 1969 Cutlass back in 1981 and have had two neck surgerys because of it, the last one was 2010. Aron I hope you get to feeling better soon, It was good to see you at the show. Sorry you are going through this.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 09:33 PM
One of None W-31

Aron,
Very sorry to hear of your accident, glad you are still with us. I agree with what was posted above in reference to medical claims. This accident may cause life long neck pain, nagging pain hear or there etc. we've all heard many stories like that. Make sure to defend yourself well.
Will see you soon I'm sure at another local car show and expect the whole episode to be in "From My Point of View" in coming months.
Our best.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:50 AM

I thought I would check in with CO and update what is going on. Xrays and CT scans indicate no broken bones. Having to wear a neck brace as 3 top vertebrae have problems, as does middle back and lowest disc (bulging). Bump on forehead causing recurring headaches, and left shoulder joint extremely painful; don't know why, yet. MRI Tuesday. Going to physical therapy at present. Just got the PD accident report today, and the other driver said "Driver 1 stated that he had not seen Driver 2 (as in me) prior to turning, and that he thought driver 2 appeared to be traveling over the speed limit" Let me set the stage for all of you: He was eastbound with his turn signal on for a left turn; I was westbound in the far right lane (four lane street), with another car just ahead of me to my left. As that car passed, Mr Beemer went full tilt boogie into his turn. Now, he's already stated in the police report he didn't see me. How in the world could he determine that I was speeding? By the way, I was doing 30 in a 35, the Richardson PD is notorious for their radar traps everywhere. I also have much wonderment as to whether driver 1 might have been talking/dialing, or heaven forbid, texting, on his cell phone. The other funny thing about the report is that the PD Officer identified Big Red as a "1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra"????????? We want the car repaired. I've hired an attorney. Here we go. Thanks again for everybody's support, emails, and phone calls!
Aron
PS - Yep, was wearing my seat belt; don't leave home without it!!! No shoulder, isn't one.

Last edited by Aron Nance; July 2nd, 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:31 AM
"Car"mudgeon

I hope everything works out for you. The back problems will only get worse if not addressed, I know from experiencing my Dad go through several back surgeries from bulging discs and slipped discs. Ultimately they had to replace one of his vertebrae with a bone from his hip. Hopefully you won't have to go though anything like that but I wouldn't settle until you know exactly what is and what could happen down the road if unaddressed. '68 Cierra LOL I wonder where he got that info from?? I'm sure it said Cutlass on the insurance as well as registered through the DMV as Cutlass. Good luck with everything and I wish you and "Big Red" a speedy recovery! Take care Aron.

Scot
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:52 AM

I thought I would check in with CO and update what is going on. Xrays and CT scans indicate no broken bones. Having to wear a neck brace as 3 top vertebrae have problems, as does middle back and lowest disc (bulging). Bump on forehead causing recurring headaches, and left shoulder joint extremely painful; don't know why, yet. MRI Tuesday. Going to physical therapy at present. Just got the PD accident report today, and the other driver said "Driver 1 stated that he had not seen Driver 2 (as in me) prior to turning, and that he thought driver 2 appeared to be traveling over the speed limit" Let me set the stage for all of you: He was eastbound with his turn signal on for a left turn; I was westbound in the far right lane (four lane street), with another car just ahead of me to my left. As that car passed, Mr Beemer went full tilt boogie into his turn. Now, he's already stated in the police report he didn't see me. How in the world could he determine that I was speeding? By the way, I was doing 30 in a 35, the Richardson PD is notorious for their radar traps everywhere. I also have much wonderment as to whether driver 1 might have been talking/dialing, or heaven forbid, texting, on his cell phone. The other funny thing about the report is that the PD Officer identified Big Red as a "1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra"????????? We want the car repaired. I've hired an attorney. Here we go. Thanks again for everybody's support, emails, and phone calls!
Aron
I just love it!!!! He didnt see you ---- quote " i think he was exceeding the speed limit" LMAO.
And the lies are probably just beginning. Do NOT speak to the bonehead direcly. Only deal with his insurance people -- and be cautious to do that without advice from your atty!! Just be thankful that he is insured. Maybe you could use a slightly damaged Beemer? No doubt its a lease unit?
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:07 PM

I always get a laugh out of those crash claims. "I didn't see him, but he was speeding"!! WTF!! Which is it? Can have both! ANY judge will being asking that question. Get well soon. Don't get too discouraged as all the BS starts. At the end it will work out.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:07 PM

I was hit driving my 96 olds by brand new BMW. He ran the red light and hit me in the left front tire and fender. I think he saw me at the last moment and swerved to try to miss me, but he swerved right into me. He was traveling south and I was traveling east making a left to go north. I was only in the first lane of a two lane road. He told the cops that I ran the red and that the kids I had in my car distracted me. The cop came up and asked if anyone was in the car with me (while the parmedics were working on me) and I told them that no one was in the car. He asked what the harness in the back seat was for and I told him it was a seatbelt for my dog. He asked where my dog was and I told him at home, he only rides with me on weekends.

A few days later his insurance company called me and asked how many children I have. I told them that I don't have any children. She actually asked if I was sure of that. I told her even with a concussion I would remember if I had any children. LOL.

Apparently when you buy a BMW you buy the road.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Aron, I'm soo sorry for your loss.

I hope Big Red can be repaired to your liking.

Back in the day, my daughter was driving my '72 Monte Carlo and a dump truck did what that BMW did. The Monte Carlo looked about like Big Red and a local body shop straightened the frame and did all of the sheet metal and paint, and it was as good as ever.

However, parts were readily available then.

Hope your bruises heal quickly.....

--Don
Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Aaron, So so sorry to see and read this. I am glad you are not hurt worse, Being through this myself when my convertible got wrecked and T-boned I know how you feel. wish you a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself and best of luck with this....
Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:47 PM

Aron,
I hope you heal quickly & completely.

Being a '68 vert owner, those pics were particularly painful. I can only imagine the charges that would levelled against me if something similar happens once I'm done with mine...

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
I...And the lies are probably just beginning. Do NOT speak to the bonehead direcly. Only deal with his insurance people -- and be cautious to do that without advice from your atty!! Just be thankful that he is insured.
This ^

I'm sure you already know this, but do not talk to anyone other than your atty about the crash. Its sickening how some small innoculous comment can be twisted around to your detriment.

You really lucked out (if that's possible here) that the offender was legal & insured. I know of waayyy too many people around here who have been hit by UI (and/or unlicensed / non-citizen) drivers. Some of their nightmares are still going years after the fact....

Good luck & get well....
Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:04 PM
Cutlass Lover

A Cutlass Cierra? Lol! People are a trip, aren't they?? Sorry to hear you're still having problems. You just take it easy and let your lawyer figure it out. That's what they do. Keep us posted, and I hope you feel better!
Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:12 PM

Aron
PS - Yep, was wearing my seat belt; don't leave home without it!!! No shoulder, isn't one.
Go see a neurologist now and get that head inspected. I suffer from severe migrianes. I don't want to see anyone go through what I do. If you need to know what to look for to beter help the doc with what type you have, or if you might wonder is something might be related to the headaches. There are quite alot of symptoms and side effects that go along with them that most people have no idea about. Get lots of rest even though I am sure you are hearing that from everyone.