General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

It's Alive!

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Past Administrator

I routed the steel line yesterday afternoon but that's as far as I got. I had let the battery run down (not driving the car enough and starting it a lot when fixing the carburetor choke setting). So, it waits to see. The gauge goes up to 60 pounds so should not be a problem. All the gauges are behind a dash face that is a horizontal slot, I realize that the meter movements are D'arsonval and actaully an arch but I sure like the look on the dash and am going to keep it if at all possible. Amps gauge is + - 30 AMPS, temp gauge goes to 220 I think. Thanks for input guys. Hope I can get it all worked out this weekend, supposed to be wonderful weather.
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:48 AM

Good job Dan,

Younger brother is comming soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pictures to be traded, Ideas to be thought up. Fat fenders forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Past Administrator

Ok, it wasn't the battery, it was the starter. All I can get are the starters rebuilt in Mexico. Not to have anything negative to say about the source just that they are rebuilt in a factory instead of a small shop. I do know a shop in town that could rebuild one for me but the price is three times as much. So, anyway, I got a rebuilt one form O'Reilly Auto Parts. The oil gauge works well although the marks are 0 - 20 - 40 - 60 so the reading is a little vague. I get about 45 by my guess, and the best thing is, it is a solid line and does not leak! I really wanted to be able to move the car this winter so I am glad that I can now. The last thing before storage is to double check the anti-freeze and see how low it goes. I decided to keep the project outside and the Cutlass inside the garage (it is just too damn pretty).
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:43 AM

I decided to keep the project outside and the Cutlass inside the garage (it is just too damn pretty).
Good choice!
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:13 AM
69CuttyS

Thanks for the pics Oldsguy. Just an awesome project.
Old August 8th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Past Administrator

Reviving an old thread. It's amazing how long it has been since I worked on the car. Life gets in the way somehow.

So here's the update. I stored the car all winter and was planning on getting back into it in the spring. When I started it oh, say late April I realized it had a coolant leak from the intake manifold gasket on the front crossover driver's side. It has taken me this long to finally correct that. I spent the morning today doing an r/r on the gasket set. I used the composite type instead of the turkey tray. As a bonus, I discovered that the Torker manifold I have on the car already has the heat crossover passage blocked. If I knew that then I forgot it (getting old). I was going to do this eventually anyway so that was a nice surprise. Everything came off and went back on without a hitch and was fairly easy. I say this because everything is fabricated and it is a relief to know that I put something together from scratch that can be worked on easily. Being a repair technician (for those of you that are one) this is important to me. I think many custom cars are built without this consideration, kind of like the new cars now. What used to be a 30 minute job on a classic is now a three hour job on a modern car (ever hear about the battery in the front passenger side fender behind the bumper a late model Chrysler?). Anyway, everything went well and now I have to fix the passenger door latch, it won't hold the door closed which is kind of important if one wants to go driving, especially with a passenger! Maybe this will get me "back in the saddle" finally.
Old August 9th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Dan,

Glad to hear your almost back in the saddle again. I was begining to think you were getting to old to get back out in the garage. Guess I was wrong. Your just a kid like the rest of us
Old August 10th, 2009, 06:19 AM

Good to hear that you got the intake manifold gasket repaired. Now you need to fix the door hinge next weekend so we can drive the 46 when I come up in September.
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Past Administrator

Yep, good idea.