General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

It's ALIVE! (cheapo '72 455 w/ 10.25 '68 pistons)

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2009, 08:54 PM

It's ALIVE! (cheapo '72 455 w/ 10.25 '68 pistons)

Well I was laid off for the week, so I decided to get my car running.

I bought a '72 455 out of a Vista Cruiser last summer ($425 including TH400 tranny). I sold the original 350 out of my '70 Cutlass Supreme for $425 in December. Had kid #2 in January, so kinda hit a road block time wise for a couple months.

Dan (rocwal from this site) gave me some free 10.25:1 standard bore pistons - THANKS Dan. I bought some parts around the new year... rings, oil pump, headers, timing set, comp cam, performer intake, flowtech headers, and a couple other odds and ends.

My job security got shaky right around then, so I decided minimize my investment on this engine. No hot tank (pressure washer at home), no pro honing (bought a flex-hone on ebay and used my drill), no machining, re-used all bearings (did check all the bearing clearances and they were within factory spec (72000 mile motor). I decided to paint it red, because I was too cheap to pay over $30 for metallic blue paint, and I didn't like any of the blues that were close to the original - I think the red looks good in there!

So I thoroughly cleaned everything, got the 10.25:1 pistons pressed into the rods (the only machine shop labor I paid for), slapped it back together (checking clearances and following the shop manual - with some good help from this forum), and wrestled it into the car this week. FYI, actual compression ratio is about 9.4:1 with the thick blue head gaskets, and pistons just a little down in the hole.

Headers suck. Is it really worth the extra 15-20 hp on a street car? Maybe not? I had to relocate the brake distribution block and lines. I still wrapped the close clearance areas with the 2000F insulating tape just in case. I did have headers on the 350, but they had better clearance to things.

I primed it on the stand just to make sure the lube system was functioning properly. I had two marathons up until 4:30 am (went to sleep when the birds started waking up and tweeting all over the place), and fired it about 8pm tonight.

Very satisfying. Sounds great. Broke in the cam. Have a couple small issues to iron out, but nothing that will take 16 hour days. I'm kinda rambling now, but just wanted to share my fun. Here are a couple pics.

IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_4811.jpg

Last edited by cts-v; June 12th, 2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:13 PM

Great job, we plan on doing the same thing to a couple motors. I paid a guy a couple grand to build a motor and it blew up in 20 minutes. Heck I can do better than that.
Headers=Headaches
Let us know how it turns out.
Dave
Old June 13th, 2009, 08:32 AM

Great job. I think low buck builds are great. Lots of satisfaction In doing it yourself. I will be doing my next engine build myself as well to save money in this new economy that can be put to better use elsewere (bodywork).
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:21 AM

That was a great read man, nice to read about someone doing (and succeeding) at what I'm trying to do.

CB
Old June 13th, 2009, 07:44 PM

Nice Job! Been there and done that on the headers. Keep an eye on the starter solenoid as it will get hot. Putting a shield on the solenoid will help.

Tim
Old June 13th, 2009, 08:06 PM

Tim thanks for the advice about the solenoid. I did put some of that heat wrap around the headers tubes next to the starter.... I may get under there and see if there is room for a sheet metal shield too. I think the factory shield is too thick to fit without rubbing the headers.

I got the oil changed after breaking in the cam yesterday. I did my first drive around the block just now (was out of town all day). Fan was hitting the shroud, so I temporarily removed it so I could drive around the block.

The original torque converter on the TH350 (that came with the car originally) seemed to stall a bit higher with the 455. Need to get my multi-meter / tach out and see what rpm it is finally engaging... maybe 16-1800 rpm? I'm not used to that.

I'm also using the 600 cfm Holley that I had on the 350 (for now at least). I did get 2 backfires through the carb. I adjusted the timing a little back from about 12 to 8 BTDC. I couldn't read the marks on the timing indicator, but I think those are right if they are the same as the 350 marks. Backfired one more time after that.

I'm assuming its a carb tuning issue - I did get an occasional backfire with the 350 as well... That means I'm getting spark while an intake valve is still slightly open? Right? Or can heat from the engine ignite fuel in the intake if it is too rich?

Hopefully I'll back the timing off to 4 or 6 tomorrow and see if it still backfires...