General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.
View Poll Results: How do you insure / drive your classics?
I drive my classic/s every day to work with liability.
0%
I drive my classic/s on weekends with full coverage.
48.48%
I drive my classic/s on weekends with liability.
6.06%
I drive my classic/s as often as possible with full coverage.
42.42%
I drive my classic/s as often as possible with liability.
3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

How do you insure / drive your classics?

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2017, 06:58 AM

How do you insure / drive your classics?

I'm posting this poll to ask everyone how their classic cars are insured and how often they drive them.

Currently, my 71 98 is insured through Hagerty and I only drive it a few times a month on the weekend to a cruise-in or for pleasure driving. Hopefully I will be buying another classic this weekend. On Saturday, Oldsguy and I are driving to southern MO to look at a truck that's for sale.

I did a quick quote through the Hagerty website and the price for insurance would be between the price of my Olds and the price we pay for our daily drivers. I think it was reasonable because I indicated that I would drive the truck up to 4 times a week and at least 20 times per year to work.

Let me know what your situation is.
Old June 14th, 2017, 07:07 AM

Hagerty on the 63 Super 88 driven a couple hundred miles a year and the 72 98 driven maybe a 1,000 miles a year. Both are agreed value for more than true replacement cost.
They did not want to insure my 77 F350. Driven only a couple hundred a year in last 10 years. When I did drive it I would get lumber or tow something so they said not interested in insuring it.
Old June 14th, 2017, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by B964
They did not want to insure my 77 F350. Driven only a couple hundred a year in last 10 years. When I did drive it I would get lumber or tow something so they said not interested in insuring it.
I can understand that. When I got the quick quote from Hagerty on this truck I indicated that I WOULDN'T be towing with it. I'm sure they would have said no if I indicated otherwise.
Old June 14th, 2017, 07:40 AM

A Good Question. I have 4 classic cars, but only 3 out of the 4 are on my Classic Car policy: 1979 Hurst Olds, 1979 Cutlass Calais, 1969 Camaro. The price to insure these 3 vehicles is very reasonable as per agreed value, liability, etc., and I am able to conform to their annual driving (mileage) and storage requirements to qualify for coverage with them.

Now my 4th car, my 79 Black/Silver Cutlass Supreme, that is insured on my regular auto policy, and that is intentional. This car does not meet a Classic Car Insuror's guidelines as it is not parked in a locked garage at night and I drive it to work whenever I want to. I bought it with the idea that it's going to be driven. I checked with my regular auto insurance carrier on Actual Cash Value (ACV) and they were willing to insure me for roughly what I paid for the car which in my view was very fair. I did not pay a lot of money for this car so I should not be expecting to profit from a loss via insuring it on a Classic Car Policy for 2x,3x, 4x, etc, what I paid for it.

And since I'm in the insurance business I'm held to a bit of a higher standard than the average insurance buyer, and they know it. So my (unsolicited) advice would be, it's all in how much you pay for the vehicle and how you intend to use it, and how you will store it. Classic Car Insurors know us Classic Car folks are quite particular on how we care for our cars and their rates reflect that in my view. I think that fact benefits everyone.
Old June 14th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Olds Fever

I currently have six vehicles insured with full coverage and drive as often as possible... In some cases I feel they are not driven enough since I have to move a few to drive a few, if you know what I mean... In addition, I have two trucks and four other daily drivers (I like some variety in my daily rides)...
Old June 14th, 2017, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I can understand that. When I got the quick quote from Hagerty on this truck I indicated that I WOULDN'T be towing with it. I'm sure they would have said no if I indicated otherwise.
Don't recall the exact conversation but the impression was carrying anything in the bed was more of a concern than the towing part. Guy said they would not want to get into potential numerous bed repair claims. Plus if you are loading bed with stuff it is not quite a pleasure or car show cruise. Towing another classic to a car show could be considered pleasure.
Old June 14th, 2017, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79
Now my 4th car, my 79 Black/Silver Cutlass Supreme, that is insured on my regular auto policy, and that is intentional. I bought it with the idea that it's going to be driven. I checked with my regular auto insurance carrier on Actual Cash Value (ACV) and they were willing to insure me for roughly what I paid for the car which in my view was very fair.
That's a good idea. My wife just did a quote on this truck through our daily driver insurer. It was very reasonable for a full coverage policy. I guess I will have to see if they will pay out a decent amount if the unthinkable happens.

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
I currently have six vehicles insured with full coverage and drive as often as possible... In addition, I have two trucks and four other daily drivers (I like some variety in my daily rides)...
Very cool John. I know you, Joe P. and others have quite a few classics. You're one of the lucky ones.
Old June 14th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Administrator

I have car insurance through Safeco, an agreed value policy. I drive my car almost everywhere with the exception of going to the grocery store or similar. I also live in a small town.
Old June 14th, 2017, 10:34 AM

Check Grundy, I got a better rate in on full coverage with no mileage restrictions as long as I carry the standard Michigan plate. Rate was MUCH cheaper than Hagerty for the same coverage.
Old June 14th, 2017, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by csouth
Check Grundy, I got a better rate in on full coverage with no mileage restrictions as long as I carry the standard Michigan plate. Rate was MUCH cheaper than Hagerty for the same coverage.
X2, I just got a quote from Grundy and Hagerty, agreed value with in the last two weeks and Grundy was and has been cheaper with less restrictions every time I have checked. I just added The Miata to that policy also, couldn't believe how inexpensive that was, Cheap car though..... Tedd
Old June 14th, 2017, 04:21 PM

I have JC Taylor on both of my Cutlasses and as long I dont drive it everyday, they have no problem with it. I try to drive it on my days off but Im too lazy to move crap around in my small garage. Its only 20 x 20. I wind up just starting the car for 5 minutes and shut it down and closed the garage doors and back to sleep.
Old June 14th, 2017, 04:47 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by B964

I had a similar issue with J C Taylor insuring my 1989 Silverado crew cab one ton duallie... But their issue was the fact it had a cap on it... Asked if I removed the cap would there still be an issue, they said no and proceeded to insure the truck... I did also have to sign what they called a truck waiver, stating I would not use the vehicle for "commercial purposes", a little latitude and interpretation here... When I use it it is for my "personal use"...
Old June 14th, 2017, 05:51 PM

Is your favorite color... A- purpleB- orangeSorry but your poll reminds me of the multiple choice questions they used to ask on company wide surveys where I worked. My favorite color is red. How do I answer?I have full coverage insurance on my classic cars. I don't drive them to work. I sometimes do drive them other than weekends.
Old June 14th, 2017, 06:35 PM
Lansing built

I try to drive each one at least once every other week mainly to work. Full coverage for both from Grundy. Antique plate for the 70 and Alero has everyday plates, half way to collector for age requirements.

Pat
Old June 14th, 2017, 07:15 PM
Old School Olds

Answer D for me. Agreed upon value with JC Taylor. I don't drive it a lot but when
I feel like it I'm gone.
Old June 14th, 2017, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I have car insurance through Safeco, an agreed value policy. I drive my car almost everywhere with the exception of going to the grocery store or similar. I also live in a small town.
Crap i forgot i switched insurance on my old cars when i switched my newer cars recently. I voted wrong.Everything i have is full coverage.I also am with safeco!I voted weekends with liability.When i seen oldcutlass post about safeco i knew i screwed up!LOL
Old June 14th, 2017, 10:18 PM

I've been with Hagerty agreed value for 3 years. They just sent a renewal and it was over 2x what it was in year 1. I called grundy to get a quote, the agreed value is 20% more and the cost was 33% less, so I switched. I also like that grundy doesn't limit the mileage I can drive.
Old June 15th, 2017, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Is your favorite color... A- purpleB- orangeSorry but your poll reminds me of the multiple choice questions they used to ask on company wide surveys where I worked. My favorite color is red. How do I answer?
Yeah, I actually had difficulty setting up the poll. Not in using the forum software but in expressing my ideas in a way which others could understand. I think it worked ok.
Old June 15th, 2017, 08:57 AM

Mine are fully insured and parked in locked garages. They are used as leisure vehicles. I run American Collectors and they are insured for more than what they are worth as agreed value, but I should ramp them up some more. They did not like the idea of hauling something in my van while insured as a classic.
Old June 15th, 2017, 07:29 PM

I have my 68 442 and my 50 GMC insured with American Collectors both with agreed value. I drive both quite a bit when the weather permits. I have never had a mileage issue and I have not had to make a claim so I cant talk about how they handle that and I hope I never have to! The cost is very reasonable and the coverage is very good so I'm happy with the policy.
Chris
Old June 16th, 2017, 06:47 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Mostly weekends. A couple of times a year I will take to work. When done I want to be able to take trips.