General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Found protecto plate! B07 67 cutlass police apprehender 4 door sedan! How to decode?

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Been a while since I had an A-body convertible, but that looks like a regular unboxed sedan frame to me, sorry to say (the rear trailing arms are boxed, though, for the sway bar).

- Eric
Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:01 PM

Well no boxed frame... She looks good under there though...
Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:53 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Thanx for driveshaft pic.....

Ted
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by sammy
Thanx for driveshaft pic.....

Ted
Definitely looks like the standard 2 pc auto drive shaft.
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 65B01Delta
Just to clarify, the heavy duty (boxed) frame was an option even with the cop cars, so it was not expected here.
Old February 24th, 2013, 09:38 AM

X2.
Old February 24th, 2013, 10:29 AM
doc

Great car & great info.....following this one closely.
Old February 26th, 2013, 04:54 PM

Marty,
Anymore updates on your car ? Also let me know if you cannot find a rear seat for your car, I have one that will need recovered to your interior type.
Old February 26th, 2013, 05:29 PM
"me somebody" site member

Perhaps it is better that its NOT boxed; the boxed frames were notorious for holding dirt and moisture, and rotting from the inside out. Big, nasty, scale-y 2 inch long slivers of rust (which used to be part of the interior metal) can be found in many a boxed covertible frame in my experience.
Old February 26th, 2013, 05:30 PM

X2
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:35 PM

Marty,
Anymore updates on your car ? Also let me know if you cannot find a rear seat for your car, I have one that will need recovered to your interior type.
Marty,
Nothing yet.. Since I've had the car I haven't had a chance to turn a single bolt. to make things worse my land lady is giving me 30 days to move the car off the driveway. I had to practically beg her to let me keep the car there that long. according to her more than one neighbor has called to complain about it. i can't park the car in the street. freaking parking police & vehicle abatement are always cruising around here looking to make an easy buck for my broke city & w/ my crying neighbors.. The car wouldn't last 1 week on the street. car don't run & No brakes means she don't stop either. She's heavier than 2 of my auntie josies put together. basically a 2.5 ton land anchor on wheels that i need help pushing around.. to add to the chaos i have an inclined driveway & I live on the top of a hill. God forbid some drunk young kids kick her wheel chalks out at night & there she goes rolling down the street while I'm sleeping. At this point storage is my only option. Thats another problem in itself.. people stealing parts, damaging my car etc. Cheapest REPUTABLE storage i could find was 5 miles from where i live $99 a month to keep her there on a dirt lot W/ a bunch of motor homes outside in the elements. No electricity! which means if I wanted to use air tools there I'd most definitely need to purchase a gas generator. I do have to pull the motor & trans. I'm not sure how well the metal casters on my hoist are gunna roll on the dirt carrying an engine/tranny. WOW! What a can of worms I opened here! to make everything worse the other half isn't fond of my new toy/project at all. its times like these that I wish I was a bachelor.. Give me a big garage, give me tools, give me an old clunker to work on, unlimited free time to work on my clunker, commercial free radio playin classic rock in the background & a fridge full of ice cold brew. No woman no problem.. Just me, my tools, my brew & my clunker. Ahhhh That would be the life!
Old February 28th, 2013, 02:18 AM

Darn talking about a nightmare !!!! Hard to believe that some people are that way !!! Man I hate neighbor hoods like that... I mean come on, the car dosen't look that bad.. Just wash it & seems like that would make them happy... Storage is nothing but an added cost that nobody needs... Can't work on it when ever you want & just traveling to work on does not cut it & money down the drain. So, there is no way you can make it fit in your garage ?

Last edited by 65B01Delta; February 28th, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm confused.

Why do your neighbors or your landlady get to say anything about what's in your driveway?

Did you sign a lease that says you can't have a car in your driveway?

In general, when you rent a property, and are using it for its intended purpose (rather than something illegal, like a factory or a flophouse in a residential zone), your landlord has no power to affect what you're doing.

I'd consider consulting a landlord-tenant lawyer if you have any doubts, or just telling her to go boink herself if you don't have any doubts.

You don't need to take any crap from landlords, and, until the gummint appoints block wardens, you don't need to give a fig what your neighbors think either.

- Eric
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:20 AM

Well 1st I would see if any family or relatives could store the car for you. Renting space is expensive. Hate to say this but since you are being attacked from all sides maybe you should think about turning it loose and letting someone else dive into this project. The car deserves it. Hope you can work it out.
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:36 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

After having had an hour to think while driving, I will say this:

How about some creative solutions?

At $100 a month to store this pile, you'll be out $1200 in a year, and you know that if its miles away in a yard, you're NOT going to actually go work on it much, not to mention the risks of vandalism and theft.

I would bet that for not too far from $1200, you could get a running crap motor from a junkyard( 260 or 307), bolt it in, buy a bunch of brake components and lines and a flare tool, make the brakes work, and buy a set of crap tires and a battery, make the car run and drive, pass inspection (no SMOG in CA for that year), get a set of plates, and then park it anywhere you damn well want to.

From there, you can fix it up a bit at a a time.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

- Eric
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:44 AM

If it was I in this situation, Id sell the thing for all I could get. Honestly, and I know everyone in this thread is gonzo over your find, its not a car that youre going to make any money on once its restored. Or find a buyer thats willing to pay anything close to what its going to take to restore it. You did your part by finding it and realizing what it is. Now is the time to sell, not much cash into it and cheap enough for someone to say "what the hell...."

Last edited by TK-65; February 28th, 2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old February 28th, 2013, 02:38 PM

Id have to say, cut this car loose, buy yourself a house with a nice garage, maybe pole barn, and get yourself a nice "OLDS" project car.
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:14 PM

Get creative...........put the car in the garage then build a movable extension at the door to enclose the car. Or a 6 foot high privacy fence around the car.

Henry
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by TK-65
If it was I in this situation, Id sell the thing for all I could get. Honestly, and I know everyone in this thread is gonzo over your find, its not a car that youre going to make any money on once its restored. Or find a buyer thats willing to pay anything close to what its going to take to restore it. You did your part by finding it and realizing what it is. Now is the time to sell, not much cash into it and cheap enough for someone to say "what the hell...."

Sad ,but true.
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by TK-65
... its not a car that youre going to make any money on once its restored. Or find a buyer thats willing to pay anything close to what its going to take to restore it.
The economic logic of this is absolutely unassailable.

This is the classic example of a car that will absorb money, but never be worth what you put into it, because the market for it, once restored, will be so limited. To the extent that anyone restores a car to enjoy the process and enjoy the car, it is, of course, worth it, but from a strictly financial point of view, it's pretty much the most guaranteed loss you can get, short of restoring a 6 cylinder Duster.

That being said, I hate being pushed around by jerks, and have a bad habit of not backing down when I should, so I'd still recommend the financially losing proposition of keeping it, and making it just roadworthy enough to register, so that you can park it under everybody's noses for the next several years and all they can do is steam in their own juices.

- Eric
Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:43 PM

Marty, Have you figured out a game plan for your car ?
Old March 4th, 2013, 04:23 PM

It appears the car was listed on craigslist and now the post is in process of removal.... If it was sold make sure the new owner is a member here!. We have to keep track of this car!
Old March 4th, 2013, 04:49 PM

Idon't know where Oldsmosteel is, but I would DONATE an engine to make it a runner if that would appease the nay-bors and whatnot.

Selling to a good home is a good option. You did your part in finding it. If you don't have the resources, what can you do?
Old March 4th, 2013, 06:24 PM

I guess it's sold... I do not see it on craigslist...
Old March 4th, 2013, 06:39 PM

Craigslist????????????? Too bad he didn't give classicoldsmobile members a chance to buy it.

Henry
Old March 4th, 2013, 06:46 PM

x2......
Old March 4th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow.

Just Wow.

- Eric
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:00 PM

which craigslist ... San Diego ? I was looking all weekend hoping this would not happen. I mentioned to Marty if he has to sell, I would buy it.. oh well...
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:10 PM

I would've been intertested also, & I'm in Vegas not so far away.
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:13 PM

Well maybe we will get some news and find out... Car was listed as Police 67 Cutlass with 400 engine that came from CT to San Diego....and was priced at 1350.00 Maybe it was the ad from before and just popped up now? Not sure...
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:31 PM

I had the perfect donor car.... It might be best I didn't get it after all... The shipping cost to the mid west & all.. I'm sure he was wanting to move it fast & local... Heck I have a 67 400/400/posi rear out of a 67 442 Rag top that I parted years ago, I could just drop it in my 67 4 door, but it still wouldn't be a ex police car.
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by 66400
Craigslist????????????? Too bad he didn't give classicoldsmobile members a chance to buy it.

Henry
Yup, I would have soooooo bought that car!Man, I hope it is still in the "neighborhood".

Ted
Old March 4th, 2013, 10:51 PM

Hi all. Glad to say the car is still in my possession. The ad on Craig's must of been the one from the previous owner. I've been sick lately & taking care of other personal things going on in my life right now. As you all know this car kinda fell into my lap. Even though I've always wanted an older clunker to wrench on I never thought id be getting a project this soon. I had a baby in July my fiancé & I recently upgraded our living quarters from a condo to a house. My life has been chaos since my son was born. Still trying to sort out the whole car storage thing. I have an uncle who lives 40 miles north who said I can store the car there at his place but I'm still unsure what I'm gonna do at this point. I appreciate all your help & suggestions on this thing & promise to keep you all posted. Btw if I decided to do an engine swap what years of olds v8's would be the easiest. There was a guy on Craig's selling a salvaged 68 skylark w/ a rebuilt motor. He Said he had receipts... He was only asking 1200 for the whole car. I thought about it for a second then quickly changed my mind when I thought about my landlord... Made me laugh thinking about her reaction when she cruises by & sees 2 old beat up cars in my driveway
Old March 4th, 2013, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
Idon't know where Oldsmosteel is, but I would DONATE an engine to make it a runner if that would appease the nay-bors and whatnot.

Selling to a good home is a good option. You did your part in finding it. If you don't have the resources, what can you do?
Thanks for the offer octania... I'm in the most south western corner of the United States.. Literally. San Diego Ca
Old March 5th, 2013, 02:24 AM

Boy we all jumped the gun on this one... Keep us informed of your progress Marty.
Old March 5th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldsmosteel
My life has been chaos since my son was born.
Don't worry, it'll calm down in about 20 years.

I have an uncle who lives 40 miles north who said I can store the car there...
That sounds like a reasonable temporary solution.

if I decided to do an engine swap what years of olds v8's would be the easiest.
Any Olds V8 from 1964 to 1990 will be a bolt-in fit (except the 1964 394 ), but a pre-computer engine will be simpler.

... And I still don't get why you care what your landlady thinks...

Glad you've still got the car (and looks like you paid a reasonable price, too).

- Eric
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:46 AM

It's OK to rely on friends and family for support in situations like this.
40 mi is only a half hour drive... oh wait SoCal, might be a 2.5 hrs drive if you take the "freeway"...

Can you enroll in a mechanics class at the local community college, and keep it there while you work on it?