General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Found protecto plate! B07 67 cutlass police apprehender 4 door sedan! How to decode?

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
... others who are interested in learning as we all have to start somewhere can take the cheat sheet and the PIM and realize what needs to be done to decode these on their own... without explaining how...
Good point...knowing how much work Kurt has put into WAC, it would be pretty cool if there was a "how to use" page at WAC, pertaining to decoding etc...the decoding part is a big part of the fun! I'm learning from you all here...thank you!
Old February 16th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Good point...knowing how much work Kurt has put into WAC, it would be pretty cool if there was a "how to use" page at WAC, pertaining to decoding etc...the decoding part is a big part of the fun! I'm learning from you all here...thank you!
We're working on that too, as you could guess. The AHPS library houses all of the original documents. Unadulterated and void of opinions and interpretations. In the Tech section on the Wild About Cars is where information is put together. Mostly using info that could be in the library, but organized to group together for better understanding and comparisons. We have concentrated more on library content, but we're starting to go after more of the Tech content that will include decode and how to type content. We need to have the basic information there to link to, to make the Tech section work. To make it go any faster we need more hand helping.
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:30 PM

OK, back to the "cop car" ..... the '67 "cop car".

Position 1 of the P-O-P's "Accessory & Option Code Numbers" decoded above calls out "cruise control", seems an odd option for a "cop car" & oldsmosteel didn't mention it. Interesting, the position represents IBM card line 39 which also includes CCC (that would cover the air cleaner & carb questions) & UHV and combos of the three. What other evidence would be on a CCC equipped car?

The PIM page that references the P-O-P has a revision "R" dealing with power steering & disc brakes.
The revision is dated 10/27/66 & adds the #5 for the combination of power steering (N40) & power disc brakes (J52) in position 2 of the "Accessory & Option Code Numbers".
This revision probably didn't make it to the plant floor in time for this 11B Cutlass.

Wmachine do you have early disc brake numbers? How many by the end of October? How about "cop car" a-bodies in November?

The "Inspector's Guide" shows different rear sway bars 442 vs. B07, what's different? - diameter??

Last edited by hurst68olds; February 16th, 2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old February 17th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Holy Hijack, Batman!

- Eric
Old February 17th, 2013, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
Position 1 of the P-O-P's "Accessory & Option Code Numbers" decoded above calls out "cruise control", seems an odd option for a "cop car" & oldsmosteel didn't mention it. Interesting, the position represents IBM card line 39 which also includes CCC (that would cover the air cleaner & carb questions) & UHV and combos of the three. What other evidence would be on a CCC equipped car?
Excellent questions and observations. Really getting into the some good analysis!
The 1 code (position 1 on the 5 digit POP code) indicated cruise control, and *only* cruise control. The 1 code would need to be another number in the "Key Punch" column to involve any of the other column 39 options.
So the 1 code also means no CAC or HVI.

The PIM page that references the P-O-P has a revision "R" dealing with power steering & disc brakes.
The revision is dated 10/27/66 & adds the #5 for the combination of power steering (N40) & power disc brakes (J52) in position 2 of the "Accessory & Option Code Numbers".
This revision probably didn't make it to the plant floor in time for this 11B Cutlass.
A possibility, yes. But we don't know for sure that rev R added #5. Or #4 AND #5. Note that in other columns, a strict numbering sequence is not followed. In many cases (like this) we cannot be certain of what was there before the revision unless we also have a previous revision.
And we also know (from other situations) there was not a strict protocol that dictated that an engineering change was logged in before the change hit the floor. The same lack of continuity exists with the bulletins too. There were no strictly coordinated timelines. Just something to consider.
That all said, you might be on the right track with the possibility that discs are factory despite the code. But so far nothing to indicate that. Entirely possible that they were dealer installed.

Wmachine do you have early disc brake numbers? How many by the end of October? How about "cop car" a-bodies in November?
The early disc brake figures may give some indication, but won't really prove anything. Would be interesting to see regardless. I don't have the early "by month" figures, but they can be had from the GM Heritage Center. I'll get the "by month" for '67 at a future visit.
Likewise early L77, B01, and B07 numbers.

The "Inspector's Guide" shows different rear sway bars 442 vs. B07, what's different? - diameter??
??
B07 and W29 (which is the 442 broadcast code) are the same.
The "Reg" referred to is the big car.
What the sway bar *does* tell us is that this car is a B07, not a B01.
Old February 17th, 2013, 04:55 PM

Right on Kurt.. B07 Highway Patrol, ..... B01 City Cruiser.
Old February 17th, 2013, 04:56 PM

Marty.... Any Pictures ???? You should have it home as of yesterday...
Old February 17th, 2013, 05:08 PM

What we have here is a B07 3600 series Cutlass Town Sedan. There were approx 27 (at least 25) 3600 series B07s produced. The 3600 series includes 2 4-door models, 1 2-door model, and 1 wagon model.
The L77 400 was an option on a B07. There were approx *9* L77 cars made. That's nine made thru June (none in June) and an unknown number in July. But considering none were made in June, it was doubtful any were made in July.
That, folks, is a rare car, I don't care who you are. I would restore it exactly as it came.
As Dan said there is no reason to make this car anything other that what it is!
Old February 17th, 2013, 05:29 PM

"cruise control", seems an odd option for a "cop car" & oldsmosteel didn't mention it.
1st off thanks to everyone for the help on this car. 2nd i don't think the car has cruise control. atleast on a quick glance of the steering wheel & the dash i didn't see anything resembling cruise.. button **** etc. ill take pics of the dash & post them. finally brought her home yesterday & now the daunting reality is setting in. checked her over & happy to say that all of her valuable options are here... engine, trans, diff, disc brakes, "HB" heavy duty steel wheels etc. the bad news is she needs a TON of work. mostly body... rusted floor boards, rust in trunk, base of windshield has a long rust hole that runs almost all the way across. underneath, her chassis is very clean & original. it appears that nothing has been changed. she has boxed rear lower control arms & little springs around the stock shocks. not one single after market part on her except for the tires & the battery.

other bad news is she's too long to fit inside my garage like i originally planned. so she's sitting outside w/ the elements & i live 5 miles from the ocean. salty air + old steel = RUST... REAL FAST! learned that on my old restored chevy... new triple chrome plated bumpers were pitted in less than a year. i know preventing rust is going to be a big deal. i am bummed that i can't fit her in the garage. especially a treasure like this. my fiance is already complaining about the "ugly rusty old car leaking all over the driveway" & i had a neighbor down the street call my land lord about it.... ahhh the freaking drama! anyways thanks again for all the help. i'll post more pics as i take them.

Marty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CC1.jpg (82.5 KB, 91 views)
CC2.jpg (53.0 KB, 88 views)
CC3.jpg (78.8 KB, 90 views)
CC4.jpg (76.0 KB, 98 views)
CC5.jpg (84.6 KB, 88 views)
Old February 17th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Registered Luser

Sorry about all the crap this is bringing you...I hope you can endure! This car really needs to be restored to its original glory! At least finding a clean donor car shouldn't be all that hard. Awesome car....
Old February 17th, 2013, 06:06 PM

She looks good... More pictures..
Old February 17th, 2013, 06:12 PM

Buy a good car cover, hopefully that should keep the neighbors happy.
Old February 17th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldsmosteel
... she's too long to fit inside my garage like i originally planned.

my fiance is already complaining about the "ugly rusty old car leaking all over the driveway"

i had a neighbor down the street call my land lord about it.

- Eric
Old February 17th, 2013, 06:50 PM

Remember a project is just that. Time, cash, and non hurried calmness will get her done. Pull back bumper and front end off and she may fit inside.
Old February 18th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Marty, at least it's straight.. Anymore more pictures ?
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
What we have here is a B07 3600 series Cutlass Town Sedan. There were approx 27 (at least 25) 3600 series B07s produced. The 3600 series includes 2 4-door models, 1 2-door model, and 1 wagon model.
The L77 400 was an option on a B07. There were approx *9* L77 cars made. That's nine made thru June (none in June) and an unknown number in July. But considering none were made in June, it was doubtful any were made in July.
That, folks, is a rare car, I don't care who you are. I would restore it exactly as it came.
As Dan said there is no reason to make this car anything other that what it is!
WOW! that is awesome news! thanks to everyone for putting in the effort to find more information about the car. she definitely deserves to be restored to her former glory. never in my life would i have guessed that i would of come across something like this.

Kurt, is the information you listed above regarding B07 production numbers available somewhere? i've been on WAC a few times checking out the assembly manuals for 1967 but i'm still learning how to navigate around the website. i found a nice "original" gm fan shroud online by matching the pictures & part #'s listed in the factory assembly manuals. what a valuable tool.

Originally Posted by 65B01Delta
Marty, at least it's straight.. Anymore more pictures ?
no new pics yet, i've been busy w/ work & family duties. i'll take some more pics this weekend. i ordered about $400 worth of new suspension items control arm bushings, bj's, tie rod ends etc all Moog. gunna start wrenchin on her saturday. my goal through summer is to rebuild all suspension components, all steering... (gearbox ps pump etc), brakes & differential. atleast then i'll be building on a solid chassis. when fall/winter rolls around i can tackle the motor & trans... in the garage. the body will be the last thing i do... & from the way she looks probably the most difficult. thank God she's original & unmolested... right down to her faded flaking paint... as bad as it looks i know she hides no secrets, shotty repairs or bondo under her skin. Octania dubbed the slick "4442" term. so i've named the resto "Project B07 4442" i'll start a thread, take pics & a parts list as i soon as i start turning wrenches. i'm sure ill be asking ya'll for input & posting a few questions from time to time.
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic

- Eric
haha! if it was me i'd swap chainsaw from #1 to #3 only if it includes a 60 gallon trash can w/ locking lid & a large roll of hefty heavy duty trash bags.
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:20 AM

Kurt, is the information you listed above regarding B07 production numbers available somewhere? i've been on WAC a few times checking out the assembly manuals for 1967 but i'm still learning how to navigate around the website. i found a nice "original" gm fan shroud online by matching the pictures & part #'s listed in the factory assembly manuals. what a valuable tool.
No, the production numbers are not posted yet. They are not in a format that would post well, so it is taking some work to do that.
If you shoot me an email, I'll send you a pic of the page that shows those numbers.
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:53 AM

Congrats on your awesome find. Good luck with the restoration.
Old February 20th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Marty, this is kind of random, but you post a pic of the driveshaft ....
It would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Ted
Old February 20th, 2013, 10:19 AM

Is that a limited slip tag on the rear end cover?
Old February 21st, 2013, 06:36 PM

Marty, Anymore pictures ?
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
No, the production numbers are not posted yet. They are not in a format that would post well, so it is taking some work to do that.
If you shoot me an email, I'll send you a pic of the page that shows those numbers.

thanks Kurt. i'll email you for those B07 production #'s

Originally Posted by sammy
Marty, this is kind of random, but you post a pic of the driveshaft ....
It would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Ted
sure Ted. i tried to crawl underneath her today to take some driveshaft pics but the duals were blocking my view on both sides. ill have her on jack stands this weekend & will take some more then.

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Is that a limited slip tag on the rear end cover?
yes it is!

Marty, Anymore pictures ?
none yet. ill be replacing control arm bushings & ball joints this weekend so ill take more pics & post then.
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:22 PM

Marty, does the Cutlass have the HD "boxed" frame?
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:07 AM

Marty, does the Cutlass have the HD "boxed" frame?
i've always wondered about that... how do i check? what do i look for?

Marty
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:32 PM

Boxed Frame

Marty, Here's what a boxed frame looks like if you have a boxed frame.
Attached Images
Boxed Frame.jpg (78.6 KB, 42 views)
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
Please post some ABC* photos of this AIR CLEANER - would love to know what unit they used! Hi-res, well lit, and on MACRO setting for the close shots please.

*A = primary overall photo
B= backside or bottom
C= Close shots - the inked on PN and 2-letter code would be most relevant for this. Width and height of the snout at each end is probably a differing detail also. See other thread on '69 442 air cleaner details.
here are the pics of the air cleaner assy. if you need more let me know. unfortunately the 2 letter code on the piece of paper are not legible. the only other marking that i found is an "L" stamped on base... "L" i'm assuming means left??? overall dimensions are as follows...

1) od of round air cleaner assy w/ lid approx 17 3/4"
2) id of round air cleaner assy w/o lid approx 17 1/8"
3) snout length from the air cleaner housing to the tip approx 8 7/8"
4) large end of snout measures approx 5" wide from flange to flange
5) small end of snout (tip) measures approx 3 3/8" wide flange to flange
6) opening on small end of snout is approx 1 3/4" id high (top to bottom)
7) there was a Fram filter inside that "appears" to be correct for the air cleaner assy. the filter has part numbers on it (Fram CA305 20722 S23402)

here are the pics. taken w/ a high resolution dental digital camera
Attached Images
1.jpg (56.4 KB, 48 views)
2.jpg (61.1 KB, 42 views)
3.jpg (59.2 KB, 45 views)
4.jpg (47.4 KB, 45 views)
P1010004.jpg (49.7 KB, 39 views)
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:39 PM

It could very well be correct. I can say I've never seen one quite like that.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:43 PM

Marty, Here's what a boxed frame looks like if you have a boxed frame.
thanks! i'll look tomorrow when i lift her up... ill take some pics too.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:44 PM

What color are your interior panels ?
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:45 PM

That air cleaner looks like a MOPAR piece & FRAM CA305 is a popular MOPAR filter.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:49 PM

Your are right. Now that I looked again & google search the air filter it says Mopar.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:00 PM

Here's a '73-'74 400/440 dual snorkle (orange) & '75-'76 360 single snorkle (black) air cleaner - not exactly what you have but you can see the similarities.
Attached Images
74_440_04.jpg (109.8 KB, 29 views)
75_360_A_01.jpg (98.3 KB, 32 views)
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:15 AM

Remember here, we would need to see some overwhelming evidence that it it original to even consider it. It is not like we have nothing to tell us what the air cleaner *should* look like. There is some very specific and consistent "factory" information that specifies the chrome single snorkel air cleaner for this application. And no known reason it shouldn't be.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Any chance this could have come with the CCC outfit?
If it came with that pile of sheet metal, and something got screwed up, you could see how they might scrounge an air cleaner off a Dodge and toss out the big complicated box and plumbing.

- Eric
Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:12 AM

Any chance this could have come with the CCC outfit?
Was that 2bbl only?
Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:39 AM

They made 2-bbl and 4-bbl CCC air cleaners. Cops could probably get either, with the right salesman.

I see an HEI clearance dent, and the not-inked PN indicates not original to this car. Plus the general shape, the lack of Thermac, etc. I would stash it in the rafters just in case, and get a more acceptable '67 type air cleaner for now.

I think I see an opening there, bottomside, thru the bottom, into the filtered air area? What's that about? Is it a grommet? Photo #2.

Any chance previous owners can be talked with regarding the air cleaner, other details?
Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:00 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That air cleaner is a MoPar unit, as mentioned - the air deflector at the end of the snorkel is V-shaped, instead of flat like the GM ones.

Also, in '67,Olds still used the "upside-down" air cleaners, with the flat piece on the bottom and the "can" on the top.

- Eric
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:46 PM

thanks for the info on the air cleaner... thought i was gunna be doin some wrenchin on her today but didn't get a chance to do a damn thing. crawled underneath & took some pics of body, frame, driveshaft & boxed lowers. surprising that the body is pretty straight.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:50 PM

here they are
Attached Images
1.jpg (48.9 KB, 56 views)
2.jpg (54.7 KB, 56 views)
3.jpg (80.5 KB, 53 views)
5.jpg (67.0 KB, 60 views)
7.jpg (68.7 KB, 52 views)

Quick Reply: Found protecto plate! B07 67 cutlass police apprehender 4 door sedan! How to decode?