General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Electric Fans

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2014, 06:53 PM

Electric Fans

Well it has finally cooled off here in Boise so I could work on the car a little. I got the Derale fans to fit this weekend, man it was total PITA to get these in the car, I was lacking a 1/2" of clearance to get them in.
It took 2 days of work to come up with 3/4" of space to get the fans in and still have a 1/4" of clearance. I had to modify the radiator support "it had been welded up crooked from the factory" had to move the air conditioning condensor forward a little to get the radiator moved forward, had the modify the front of the water pump a little and make button head bolts for the pulley. The fan set up fit the radiator almost perfect, it was the right height and the width was also right on, had to mount the fan assembly to the radiator and put it all in as a unit.
It looks good and should work well. I would not recommend this set up to other people unless you have a lot of tools and are willing to put in a bunch of hours to get everything right.
Now I can start wiring the new 150 Amp alternator and installing the Painless wire loom for the fan control.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0276.jpg (40.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0277.jpg (43.7 KB, 27 views)
Old August 24th, 2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by jag1886
Well it has finally cooled off here in Boise so I could work on the car a little. I got the Derale fans to fit this weekend, man it was total PITA to get these in the car, I was lacking a 1/2" of clearance to get them in.
It took 2 days of work to come up with 3/4" of space to get the fans in and still have a 1/4" of clearance.
Remind me again, you changed over to electric fan(s) why? Not being critical as I'm a great fan (bad pun) of electric driven fans. I had a lot of the same problems with fitment on my 1936 and 1947 project cars as you had. It is just a function of modifying from factory to something else. Hang in there. I hope it all turns out well.
Jerry
Old August 25th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

At least you put in the best aftermarket fans in, supposed to perform very well and US made. Their controllers are complete junk, wires pull out of connectors really easy. Factory fans from the Dodge Intrepid and Stratus fit with room to spare and move a good amount of air. My Stratus fans work well and fit my G body rad near perfect, just needed custom mounting straps which I attached to my top rad plate, come out as one now.