General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Electric fan/fans

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2014, 03:34 PM

I have the Derale 16826 4000CFM fan and shroud set, the dimensions are almost perfect for my 65 Cutlass, I have a Painless wiring 30140 controller on the way, this seemed to be the best controller I could find, I also have a 150 Amp alternator to upgrade the charging system as those fans pull more power than my old alternator makes.
They make these fans in a multitude of shroud sizes you just have to measure your radiator and start looking for the size that fits best.
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:19 PM

Took the Omega to Hershey on Sun. it ran 190 in the morning "it was kinda cool"ran about 192 on the way home "kinda warm out".No factory fan just the cheap electric fan from summit or Jegs.mostly on Inter state but took a detour through Harrisburg .
My tech said around 1600@75mph in OD.
railguy
Old September 11th, 2014, 05:01 PM

Haven't updated for a while. I'm pretty slow at these things these days. I have been working on the wiring. Had to pull the loom all apart to remove all the old wiring and add the new wiring for the 150 amp alternated and the fan kit without it looking like a pile of crap like see on other cars. Had to add a switch panel to the inside of the car for the toggle switches (no one makes these anymore so I made one out of polished stainless steel) also added a new set of full sweep 2 5/8 gauges since I'm changing from an Amp gauge to a volt gauge.
I'll probably get this done in time that I won't need fans at all this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0294.jpg (43.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0295.jpg (40.2 KB, 17 views)
Old October 21st, 2014, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Railguy
Come to think of it,When my problem stopped was when I had the heads off.When I reassembled the engine I put a new thermostat in,new rad. cap(stock)and used thicker head gaskets,to lower compression so I could run pump gas.I had changed the thermostat a few times so I think I can rule that out.But I was thinking could it be something to do with the head gaskets?Maybe the wrong ones?
The reason I had the heads off was to mill the towers where the rockers bolted down.I'm using studs and not the stock set-up.The only way to get the geometry right was to lower the studs.Any way when I reassembled the engine the cooling problem was gone.I did everything I could before that nothing helped.I put a bigger radiator in (triple core) I had the triple taken out a four core put in.I even measured how much water it held before and after.I put an electric fan in that blows from the front while the stock pulls from inside.Nothing helped in the least.
railguy
Could it be that all that extra heat was coming from the valve geometry being off?
Did you get your problem fixed?
railguy
Old October 22nd, 2014, 05:52 PM

Been really dragging my feet on this project, I'm getting really burned out this car, I did get everything wired up and started it the other night for a couple of minutes, the fans do turn on with the toggle switch, haven't had it running long enough to check everything else.
I'm just really sick of working on this car, it's a good car but I'm just tired of working on it, sorry I'm just old, I think I'm going to pass it on to someone with more energy and buy a new Ram truck.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 06:11 PM
Administrator

You've almost got it licked and now you can start enjoying it. Sometimes a break is in order for an attitude adjustment.