General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Driving on Earth Day

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2012, 04:43 AM

Driving on Earth Day

With Earth Day being this weekend it is only appropriate that we all take our Oldsmobile’s out for an aimless joy ride. I will be driving mine through the coastal towns south of Boston visiting some of my favorite inlets and harbors. I will also be driving my other two V8 powered automobiles throughout the weekend. If the temperature goes down at night I will have a fire in my fireplace.
Old April 20th, 2012, 05:25 AM

I will be going with my motorcycle club on a 200 mile ride out to East TX and back - just to eat lunch! There will be probably be 100 bikes, so we will certainly be adding some hydrocarbons to the air!
Weather will be cool, almost cold that morning... The afternoon will be great.
Old April 20th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Cutlass Lover

Supposed to rain here, so Teepo can't come out and do her part, lol!!
Old April 20th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Administrator

I'm going to torment Prius's and other hybrids, around town. Joking, hopefully I'm going to get the motor/ trans. installed and running in a buddies 61 Chebby truck.
Old April 20th, 2012, 06:15 AM

I'm in
Old April 20th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

I have an "I Love My Carbon Footprint" decal on my Escalade...gets me a lot of middle fingers here in the tree hugging northeast.

I did drive my '55 sedan to work today - complete with its puff of blue smoke on startup, consistent blowby from the 'road tube', lifter tick, and 2 pints per hour plethora of oil leaks.
Old April 20th, 2012, 06:28 AM

I toyed with the idea of renting a Hummer for the weekend.
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:00 AM

We'll be driving our V8's this weekend at my house.
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:50 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Weather is suppose to be bad this weekend, so I have it out today.
Larry
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:34 AM

I'll be dumping all my old batteries, used oil & antifreeze in the local creek & having a big tire fire tonite. Also going to the local junkyard tomorrow to let all the refrigerant out of the ac systems. Take that earth!!
Old April 20th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
I'll be dumping all my old batteries, used oil & antifreeze in the local creek & having a big tire fire tonite. Also going to the local junkyard tomorrow to let all the refrigerant out of the ac systems. Take that earth!!
That is sooooo wrong!
Old April 20th, 2012, 06:01 PM

I drove my Delta today, because the weather is going to be bad here too.

Sucks because Sunday is a race day and helping my buddy with his 500 ci Mopar powered dragster and driving my Delta 50 miles to the track does sound like fun.

I still want to buy a Duramax and get the exhuast done to "Pruis window height"
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:23 AM

I look at it this way, the Earth gave as a wonderful bounty of gas, oil and rubber, may as well use and appreciate these things rather than just letting them go to waste. I personally like to use WAY more than my share on Earth day, to make up for all the poor slobs missing out on all the fun. Rain or shine, that's what garages with overhead doors were made for.
Old April 21st, 2012, 11:05 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I think Jeff Foxworthy would be dang proud of all o y'all! Surprised there's no 'peein for distance' day.....

I treat earth day much like any other day. My contribution to Earth day will be waking up on the "GREEN SIDE" of the grass. Don't care much for being told what to do by jerkwater activists who want a high profile political limelight and don't practice what they preach most of the time anyway.
Old April 21st, 2012, 07:36 PM

I was glad to do my part for Earth day.
After a small, yet bizarre mishap with my bike, I left a quart and a half of oil on the sandy loam soil of East Texas.
I do not feel bad though, as that area is full of oil wells pumping away. Maybe they will get what I left in a few years...
Old April 21st, 2012, 08:00 PM
"me somebody" site member

Sure, I got a couple old cars, a boat, a motorcycle, lawnmower, snowblower and weedwacker, all of which run on gasoline. But I got nothing against good gas mileage in my daily driver, and I had a "green" central AC system installed in the house last year (cut my electric bills with the old system by HALF during the summer). Sure hope you guys are kidding with the "F the earf" sh...stuff. You don't have to be a tree-hugger to care about the environment, and sometimes, it pays to do so.

FYI, it was none other than that hippie Richard Nixon who created the EPA, same year of the first Earf Day. I actually went to the 20th anniversary Earth Day celebrations in NYC's Central Park back in 1990, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit I went in large part because the B52s played there, and because of some chick I knew who was into. them, haw haw!
Old April 21st, 2012, 08:05 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
I laughed my *** of when I read this...

I'll be working, but I'll drive my 16 mpg truck to work.
Old April 21st, 2012, 10:01 PM

I care about the planet too, but support common sense ideas on how to use our resources. Update on the all electric charging station, I drive past it several times a week. The week after the grand opening I saw a car using it. Since then, nobody. Like pouring money down a rat hole... except somebody got a warm fuzzy feeling over it. Kinda like these $50 lightbulbs. As I understand Phillips got $10 million for coming up with the idea but I don't see people beating a path to buy them.
Old April 21st, 2012, 10:32 PM
NOVICE car nut

I feel guilty everyday driving my car .... The exhaust will bring tears to your eyes I just leave the carb out of adjustment , so everyone around me is choking .
Old April 21st, 2012, 10:39 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I didnt know it was earth day but i drove the snot out of my car. Did a few hole shots drove it hard and im sure i got 5 mpg while doing it .
Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:26 AM
1974 DELTA 88

I feel I do my part for the planet. I have a recycle bin, and I don't pour my oil, antifreeze, atf on the ground (except for what the Olds leaks ). But I drive what I like. If that makes me a bad/irresponsible person to these tree hugging hybrid drivers, so be it. If the cars didn't cost a fortune, sure I'd buy one for my commutes to work, etc, it would save me a ton of money on gas... but I'd still drive my V8 for fun!
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:13 PM
Runner

I was cruising in my 72 today and had to stop by a gas station to get my wife a coffee. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to park next to prius. :-)
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:22 PM

I am sick to death of green crap. I've always tried to use common sense. But we just keep getting bashed over the head with it over and over and over and over again, everywhere you look. I've had it, and I know others have too. There's a point where if you keep pushing people, they will rebel against what you're pushing. Now we're told that CO2 is a pollutant? That's what we breathe out, and what plants breathe in! Absolutely ridiculous. The green movement is what needs to figure out common sense, starting by shutting it. I don't tell others how to live, and yet we're somehow supposed to just sit back and be told what we're supposed to do and not do? I will keep doing things the exact same way I've always done them. Burning fossil fuels is my civil right, and I am 100% ungreen.

Happy earth day. I'm going out to drive my car.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Intragration
I am sick to death of green crap. I've always tried to use common sense. But we just keep getting bashed over the head with it over and over and over and over again, everywhere you look. I've had it, and I know others have too. There's a point where if you keep pushing people, they will rebel against what you're pushing. Now we're told that CO2 is a pollutant? That's what we breathe out, and what plants breathe in! Absolutely ridiculous. The green movement is what needs to figure out common sense, starting by shutting it. I don't tell others how to live, and yet we're somehow supposed to just sit back and be told what we're supposed to do and not do? I will keep doing things the exact same way I've always done them. Burning fossil fuels is my civil right, and I am 100% ungreen.

The problem with CO2 isn't toxicity, it's that large concentrations in the atmosphere lead to more heat being trapped in the atmosphere and thus higher average temperatures.
Remember, you can die from drinking too much water.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Intragration

So Mike, when you get back from your drive tell us how your really feel

I work for the US Government in forestry. Not long ago we began considering how our cutting down trees impacted global warming. I won't tell you what I think about global warming, but I will tell you that the demand for wood products is still strong. Either we manage forests to provide lumber and veneer here in the US or we import it from other countries. I believe we could use common sense management to provide lots of wood products and jobs with enviornmental oversight that doesn't strangle the industry. OR we can import wood products from countries that may or may not have any environmental oversight. Wanna guess which direction we've been going in for the last 20 years?
Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So it's been and (mostly) gone now. Sunday - it was really nice out and I took the opportunity to go for a drive with my son. He needs the practice driving. Besides if I don't use today, I'll just use another day to do the same thing. Apparently so did several thousand others. The roads were pretty tight and malls were jammed. So tell me again how Earth day is supposed to work? You do your part to do what??

I do have those energy efficient lights, and electronic programmed thermostat and some other goodies to make my pocket book feel less crunch on bill day. But in the long run it's getting to be a crap shoot. The amount of electric and gas I use is only 1/3 of the friggin bill. Everything else is 'riders', 'administration', delivery, and consumption fees on top of basic use. If this keeps up, I figure I'll be economically forced to drill my own well, convert my house to wood heating and start burning coal in the furnace and put solar panels on the roof.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:36 PM

I heat with wood, I enjoy my wood stove and fireplace. I burn scrap 2 X's from some homes being built up the street that otherwise goes into a dumpster. I also burn oak, cherry and maple from my neighbors trees that blow down during storms that would otherwise get dumped on the edge of their property. I also enjoy driving my cars. Al ***** can inhale my exhaust.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:51 PM

Wow! I just checked my MSN news window to monitor the weather and found this video listed:

http://now.msn.com/living/0422-anti-earth-day.aspx
Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R

I treat earth day much like any other day. My contribution to Earth day will be waking up on the "GREEN SIDE" of the grass. Don't care much for being told what to do by jerkwater activists who want a high profile political limelight and don't practice what they preach most of the time anyway.
Very nice! Exactly the same thing I was thinking.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:16 PM

Earth Day Is Optional

I wasn't able to drive my 425 Super Rocket 88 today. Maybe next year. I did drive my 5.7 litre Hemi Ram 4x4 Quad Cab to town a couple of times though.
I am also looking to purchase some Killex from Michigan. You can not get this stuff in Ontario anymore, unless you are a farmer or a golf course operator. I do know a few of those people.